auburn opens as 3 point underdog

aubiefifty

Auburn opens as home underdog against No. 22 Penn State

Published: Sep. 11, 2022, 4:05 p.m.

By

Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Auburn will be a home underdog for its marquee nonconference showdown with No. 22 Penn State.

The Nittany Lions opened as one-point favorites against the Tigers, according to VegasInsider.com. The line has since shifted to make Penn State a three-point favorite for the SEC-Big Ten clash on the Plains. Auburn (2-0) welcomes Penn State (2-0) to Jordan-Hare Stadium on Saturday for a 2:30 p.m. kickoff on CBS.

The Week 3 matchup is the back end of a home-and-home series between the two schools. Auburn traveled to Penn State last season in Week 3, falling at Beaver Stadium, 28-20, in the Nittany Lions’ annual White Out game. It marked the first loss for the Tigers under Bryan Harsin, with Auburn’s fate all but sealed on a failed fourth-down end zone fade late in the fourth quarter.

Read more Auburn football: Auburn defense feeling “antsy” after failing to force a turnover through two games

Grading Auburn’s 24-16 win against San Jose State

“Let’s not fall into that category”: Auburn grateful to avoid disaster on upset-filled Saturday

This season, both teams are off to undefeated starts. Penn State opened its 2022 campaign with a conference win against Purdue in Week 1 and followed it up with a blowout of Ohio in Week 2. The two victories, paired with some other losses among ranked teams the first two weeks, pushed Penn State into Sunday’s AP poll, with James Franklin’s team debuting at No. 22.

Auburn opened Year 2 under Harsin with a 42-16 win against Mercer on Sept. 3, and the Tigers improved to 2-0 on Saturday with a 24-16 win against San Jose State. Auburn flirted with disaster against its Mountain West opponent, trailing by a field goal at halftime, but the Tigers seized control in the second half and survived an upset-filled Week 2 unscathed.

After being favored by multiple scores in each of its first two games, Week 2 marks the first time this season Auburn will be an underdog heading into its game.

“The teams we play keep getting better” Harsin said. “We know Penn State is a good team. It goes back to us focusing on ourselves. We’re not there at Penn State on their practice field, and we don’t get to watch what they do. We get an idea from the games we’ve played. We have to focus on ourselves. We must make sure we have our gameplans down and understand it better, we coach it better, and we rep it better in practice.

“We find ways to improve our football team, and that would’ve been the goal if we won by 50 or by a score. Our mindset has to be about us finding ways to improve each week. We have to because our opponents are getting better.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

The article says they opened as 1 pt. Fav? 1 pt Is based on the football, 3 pts is based on the betting ( I believe that is how that works, line shifts to offset bets).

Edited by Hank2020

30 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

The article says they opened as 1 pt. Fav? 1 pt Is based on the football, 3 pts is based on the betting ( I believe that is how that works, line shifts to offset bets).

Normally the home team gets three. If PSU is a 3 point favorite that’s almost a touchdown shift

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, e808 said:

Normally the home team gets three. If PSU is a 3 point favorite that’s almost a touchdown shift

Its a 2 pt shift.  PSU opened as a 1 pt fav.  Now a 3 pt fav due to people betting PSU.

• Like 1

I'll take Penn State.  Crowd will be nuts and help but I don't think the offense will be able to move the ball against Penn State.  The defense will wear out and Penn State will pull away in the 2nd half.  I see Auburn scoring 10 - 13 points with TJ and Ashford playing Qb.  Tank can't seem to get going.  Hunter and Alston showing some flashes but not getting enough touches.  DBs not playing great.  TEs outside of JSS non existent.  WRs, Dlines, LBs playing good enough.  24-13 type game IMO.  We'll see what the midweek video game sim has to say.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Its a 2 pt shift.  PSU opened as a 1 pt fav.  Now a 3 pt fav due to people betting PSU.

For betting purposes all things equal. Home field is worth 3 points. That’s why u see a lot of 3 point spreads in the nfl. Face value it’s two but in reality it’s almost a touchdown. They both are 2-0 and Auburn should have been -3 based on the home field advantage 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

He’s saying on a neutral field, PSU would be favored by 6-7 pts. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, e808 said:

For betting purposes all things equal. Home field is worth 3 points. That’s why u see a lot of 3 point spreads in the nfl. Face value it’s two but in reality it’s almost a touchdown. They both are 2-0 and Auburn should have been -3 based on the home field advantage 

Yeah, I gamble a lot.  I get that.

The point I'm making is that the line has moved 2 pts, not a touchdown.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Yeah, I gamble a lot.  I get that.

do you win more than lose?

PSU can’t run the ball and depends solely on their passing game.   That’s very unfortunate for us.  😢

It seems like their run D is decent.  That also stinks for us.  

If fans, band, and atmosphere could score points, I would feel much better about our chances.   

• Love 1

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Again, he’s saying on a neutral field, PSU would be favored by a touchdown. 

13 minutes ago, Viper said:

Again, he’s saying on a neutral field, PSU would be favored by a touchdown. 

I get that.  The way he first phrased it was worded poorly, which is why I jumped in.  When using the term "shift" in betting parlance, you refer to movement of the line after it has posted.

i.e. "The line has shifted 2 points towards PSU"

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

I get that.  The way he first phrased it was worded poorly, which is why I jumped in.  When using the term "shift" in betting parlance, you refer to movement of the line after it has posted.

i.e. "The line has shifted 2 points towards PSU"

You are correct. Just decoding his post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUinMS9528 said:

PSU can’t run the ball and depends solely on their passing game.   That’s very unfortunate for us.  😢

It seems like their run D is decent.  That also stinks for us.  

If fans, band, and atmosphere could score points, I would feel much better about our chances.   

Basically what we do well, they can stop. And what they do well, we can’t stop. Sounds awesome. 

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ballsy to call someone a liar whom you don't know and have never seem gamble.

It’s not personal, bruh. All gamblers are liars. Didn’t you know that?

11 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

It’s not personal, bruh. All gamblers are liars. Didn’t you know that?

Being a dick and the saying "its not personal" doesn't work.  I'll tell you if I win or lose.

Got my ass kicked last weekend.  Was profitable week 1.  Up so far for the season.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Being a dick and the saying "its not personal" doesn't work.  I'll tell you if I win or lose.

Got my ass kicked last weekend.  Was profitable week 1.  Up so far for the season.

I have some extra quarters. Come by and pick up a few and buy yourself a sense of humor, compadre. Or feed them to that one-armed bandit, whichever you choose.😆

i will state i have never seen brad wrong on anything. hell i learned a couple of things from him but i forgot what they were....