Finley steps up his play for win

aubiefifty

Finley steps up his play to lead Tigers over San Jose State

Jason Caldwell
3-4 minutes

11306207.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

AUBURN, Alabama—It wasn’t the start that T.J. Finley was looking for in game number two of the 2022 season. Getting the call against San Jose State, the junior was just 1-5 in the first quarter for nine yards passing and one interception as Auburn’s offense struggled out of the gate against the outmanned Spartans.

But he responded and responded in a big way. Finishing 13-20 for 167 yards and a rushing touchdown, Finley completed 12 of his final 15 throws and led the Tigers on and off the field following an emotional halftime where he stepped up and told the team he had their backs. After that it was all about stepping up and making plays.

“Each game is its own game,” Finley said. “Each game, you're not gonna come out all firing all good and clicking on all cylinders. But, like I just said, the character of this team — nobody on the team let me put my head down.

“That's what we've been talking about, all fall camp, all spring, all summer. We're brothers, and we really got each other. When I'm coming to the sidelines talking about what happened, what's going on, everybody's so positive, and we're ready for the next series to start. Like I said, it says a lot about the character of this team.”

That was tested early on in the second half with the Tigers needed to come out and put points on the board. Facing a fourth and three from the San Jose State 46-yard line, Finley made perhaps the play of the game for Auburn. Dropping the snap, the quarterback didn’t panic and found Tank Bigsby out of the backfield and the junior did the rest, rumbling for 11 yards and a first down. The running back finished off the drive with a touchdown run and Auburn wouldn’t trail again.

“I owe my team a gasser, because I just missed the snap,” Finley admitted. “But, you know, the football gods allowed me to pick the ball up. I knew it was fourth down, so I couldn't just fall on it. So I just picked the ball up, and me and Tank had been talking about it all day — if something happened in the backfield and he's blocking or something like that, I call his name, and he's gonna turn around and find me. That's exactly what happened. Basically played backyard ball. All the backyard ball I've been playing for all my younger years paid off.”

1COMMENTS

Finding a way is sometimes the most important thing a team and player can do, and that was the case with Finley on Saturday night. He found a way following a slow start and in the process found another step as a quarterback still finding his way as a leader for the offense.

“And I think the good thing about starting like that, this early off in the season, is that I can put it behind me so fast,” Finley said. “Like I said, my guys on the sideline, they do not allow me to put my head down or even think about what just happened. You know, they're big on if it happened, it happened. Get over it. It's over with. Let's go to the next series. Those guys are really amazing, and I wouldn't be as poised as I am without those guys.”

">247Sports
  • Thanks 1

I think if Auburn is going to be competitive with good teams this season it will have to be with Finley at QB. Ashford gets his 8-10 plays per game and that's good, but Finley will have to be The Man.

• Like 9

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Finley steps up his play to lead Tigers over San Jose State

Jason Caldwell
3-4 minutes

11306207.JPG?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320 (Photo: Greg McWilliams, 247Sports)

AUBURN, Alabama—It wasn’t the start that T.J. Finley was looking for in game number two of the 2022 season. Getting the call against San Jose State, the junior was just 1-5 in the first quarter for nine yards passing and one interception as Auburn’s offense struggled out of the gate against the outmanned Spartans.

But he responded and responded in a big way. Finishing 13-20 for 167 yards and a rushing touchdown, Finley completed 12 of his final 15 throws and led the Tigers on and off the field following an emotional halftime where he stepped up and told the team he had their backs. After that it was all about stepping up and making plays.

“Each game is its own game,” Finley said. “Each game, you're not gonna come out all firing all good and clicking on all cylinders. But, like I just said, the character of this team — nobody on the team let me put my head down.

“That's what we've been talking about, all fall camp, all spring, all summer. We're brothers, and we really got each other. When I'm coming to the sidelines talking about what happened, what's going on, everybody's so positive, and we're ready for the next series to start. Like I said, it says a lot about the character of this team.”

That was tested early on in the second half with the Tigers needed to come out and put points on the board. Facing a fourth and three from the San Jose State 46-yard line, Finley made perhaps the play of the game for Auburn. Dropping the snap, the quarterback didn’t panic and found Tank Bigsby out of the backfield and the junior did the rest, rumbling for 11 yards and a first down. The running back finished off the drive with a touchdown run and Auburn wouldn’t trail again.

“I owe my team a gasser, because I just missed the snap,” Finley admitted. “But, you know, the football gods allowed me to pick the ball up. I knew it was fourth down, so I couldn't just fall on it. So I just picked the ball up, and me and Tank had been talking about it all day — if something happened in the backfield and he's blocking or something like that, I call his name, and he's gonna turn around and find me. That's exactly what happened. Basically played backyard ball. All the backyard ball I've been playing for all my younger years paid off.”

1COMMENTS

Finding a way is sometimes the most important thing a team and player can do, and that was the case with Finley on Saturday night. He found a way following a slow start and in the process found another step as a quarterback still finding his way as a leader for the offense.

“And I think the good thing about starting like that, this early off in the season, is that I can put it behind me so fast,” Finley said. “Like I said, my guys on the sideline, they do not allow me to put my head down or even think about what just happened. You know, they're big on if it happened, it happened. Get over it. It's over with. Let's go to the next series. Those guys are really amazing, and I wouldn't be as poised as I am without those guys.”

">247Sports

He just got to relax . Feels like he thinks the world is in his shoulders. Also the coaching staff need to do a better job of getting him in rhythm 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

He just got to relax . Feels like he thinks the world is in his shoulders. Also the coaching staff need to do a better job of getting him in rhythm 

when things were going south i was amazed that tj went to a huddle of players dancing and i took it that this was his way of trying to fire the team up. i agree on the rhythm thing and hopefully they picked up on it. i am a long way from giving up on tj. he got way better from last year and i bet he improves this year as well. even tho robby is fun i am a tj fan until it is shown he cannot get it done.

• Like 3

Just now, kennypowers said:

Robby sure as hell isn't ready for an increased role.  

i agree and i do not believe he passes very well so either. maybe they can coach him up .shrugs. but all my opinions are just that because i am a fan and not an expert. but i will love auburn until they rip her outt my chest cavity1. that sounded kinda dramatic huh?  lol

• Like 2

Is Calzada truly not healed from his injury?  I kinda thought after 2 ints by TJ & RA that Zach may see some action.  At this point, ZC may never see the field.  Had that same feeling about Dee Davis after last year's finish; thought he could have helped in the Iron Bowl and bowl game but didn't even sniff the field.   Understand keeping Holder out since he's a true freshman.

I just wished TJ was more athletic. Short yardage shouldn’t be an issue. In the NCAA and NFL the majority of the quarterbacks are pretty mobile. U don’t see many pure drop back passers. However, I am glad he can get under center so a qb sneak can be done with half a yard needed. That was driving me crazy yesterday watching games

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

I think if Auburn is going to be competitive with good teams this season it will have to be with Finley at QB. Ashford gets his 8-10 plays per game and that's good, but Finley will have to be The Man.

Finley’s completion percentage was higher than Nix’s was in 2021 (his highest at AU). The pick hurt though.

4 hours ago, Mikey said:

I still like the way Ashford opens up the offense when he is in there though. He puts a lot of pressure on the defense to account for a running QB which in turn creates openings for our RBs. Man Robby is fast. Get his completion rate up from 50% to a 60% Nick Marshall level and he will be even more dangerous. But yeah, right now TJ is probably still the best option as the starter.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, e808 said:

I just wished TJ was more athletic. Short yardage shouldn’t be an issue. In the NCAA and NFL the majority of the quarterbacks are pretty mobile. U don’t see many pure drop back passers. However, I am glad he can get under center so a qb sneak can be done with half a yard needed. That was driving me crazy yesterday watching games

The major thing is you can’t be unathletic and inconsistent in play. I’ve been saying if we can get a Ryan Mallet 2.0 out of TJ things would be amazing .

• Love 2

Any knowledgeable QB guys, a question. Did it look like TJ and Robby ever come off their first read? I'm not a coach or know much about QB mechanics, but to me it seems like they each stare down their first target too much and decide they're throwing to him no matter what. DB reads their eyes, and bam, easy INT.

TJ has improved in a lot of ways. His balls have more touch and he's a calm leader out there. But if he can't go through progressions in this offense and find the right man I am afraid it will continue to be pick city unfortunately.

TJ has never went through and off-season and full season as QB1.  He is young and flashes a great arm.   He is no where near the worst QB we have had the past 20 years.  I'll watch and see if he can develop.  

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Agreed. 

32 minutes ago, au302 said:

Any knowledgeable QB guys, a question. Did it look like TJ and Robby ever come off their first read? I'm not a coach or know much about QB mechanics, but to me it seems like they each stare down their first target too much and decide they're throwing to him no matter what. DB reads their eyes, and bam, easy INT.

TJ has improved in a lot of ways. His balls have more touch and he's a calm leader out there. But if he can't go through progressions in this offense and find the right man I am afraid it will continue to be pick city unfortunately.

Not a QB guy but I believe TJ hit a check-down several times, I know he hit a checkdown on the play where he hit Shenker with two defenders hugging him.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Didba said:

Not a QB guy but I believe TJ hit a check-down several times, I know he hit a checkdown on the play where he hit Shenker with two defenders hugging him.

He did check down but he was also only reading 1/3 of the field. What I don’t know is if that’s solely on him or by design. By design would be due to having to consistently have a TE or RB stay to pick up a blocker bc the oline struggles. I’ve mentioned many times though that TJ stares down the WRs too much.

12 minutes ago, JMassie11 said:

He did check down but he was also only reading 1/3 of the field. What I don’t know is if that’s solely on him or by design. By design would be due to having to consistently have a TE or RB stay to pick up a blocker bc the oline struggles. I’ve mentioned many times though that TJ stares down the WRs too much.

How do you even teach seeing the whole field? or is it a you got it or you don't kinda thing

Against the mighty Spartans of San Jose lol. Slow starts against up coming teams won't be pretty. Having said that, glad we got the Win no matter how ugly it was.

I'll give it to Finley though, dude seems to be a magician at botched 4th down plays. That one last night article mentions on 4th and 3 really saved the game I think. Dude should treat every down as 4th.

Finley is not the answer to our QB situation. Its just that simple. As of right now I don't believe we have a true answer But Finley is not. Love his heart and dedication but he just seems to be Jeremy Johnson 2.0 

• Like 1
  • Dislike 3

11 hours ago, Didba said:

How do you even teach seeing the whole field? or is it a you got it or you don't kinda thing

First part of your answer is scheme wise being allowed time to utilize the entire field. With Gus for years the scheme wasn’t to utilize the entire field. The second part of of your question is your pre snap read. One where are the safeties. Two try and determine the blitz. Based on both you should be able to tell which WR is your primary target and who SHOULD be the secondary target. If you are anticipating a blitz then you should check down. If the defense continues to blitz then the scheme needs to be altered to more slants and screens.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Hay Field 101 said:

Finley is not the answer to our QB situation. Its just that simple. As of right now I don't believe we have a true answer But Finley is not. Love his heart and dedication but he just seems to be Jeremy Johnson 2.0 

His stats sure don’t agree. If I remember correctly JJ had a problem with watching the rush too much to go through QB reads. TJ doesn’t seem to have that problem. His stats are also about where we were last year with Bo and he is just beginning. He may not work out but I don’t see writing him off based first 2 game results.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

His stats sure don’t agree. If I remember correctly JJ had a problem with watching the rush too much to go through QB reads. TJ doesn’t seem to have that problem. His stats are also about where we were last year with Bo and he is just beginning. He may not work out but I don’t see writing him off based first 2 game results.

Yeah.   That's the head scratcher with our fan base.   Made excuses with Bo for three years despite his on field numbers being below his SEC QB peers.   TJ shows flashes early in his career and post better numbers than Bo yet we are ready to kick him off the team.  

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, AUCE05 said:

Yeah.   That's the head scratcher with our fan base.   Made excuses with Bo for three years despite his on field numbers being below his SEC QB peers.   TJ shows flashes early in his career and post better numbers than Bo yet we are ready to kick him off the team.  

True but the one key thing that was left out is turnovers. Bo didn’t even turnover it over the Penn State game  which was very hostile . However that trick play which was a turnover changed the momentum off the entire game. Yes Bo wasn’t the greatest but he still had some big wins while he was back there. For example right out the gate win vs Oregon in a neutral site game.

28 minutes ago, e808 said:

True but the one key thing that was left out is turnovers. Bo didn’t even turnover it over the Penn State game  which was very hostile . However that trick play which was a turnover changed the momentum off the entire game. Yes Bo wasn’t the greatest but he still had some big wins while he was back there. For example right out the gate win vs Oregon in a neutral site game.

Bo was 21 years old and in his 3rd year.   TJ has yet to make a calendar year as a QB 1.   No one is saying TJ has to progress.  My point is we looked past Bo's flaws as a veteran QB yet hold TJ to these unrealistic standards.