Riley sets lofty tackling goal

aubiefifty

Cam Riley sets a lofty tackling goal for Auburn

Published: Sep. 05, 2022, 11:56 a.m.

3-4 minutes

By

Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com

Auburn linebacker Cam Riley entered the season with somewhat modest expectations. His goals evolved after his performance during Auburn’s season-opening 42-16 victory on Saturday against Mercer.

Riley had 14 tackles last season. He one-upped his season total in one game with 15 during Auburn’s win at Jordan-Hare against the Bears.

Racking up 15 tackles using his speed and strength makes Riley feel like yesterday’s goal isn’t today’s goal for his tackle total.

“I was talking to Owen (linebacker Pappoe) — I told him the goal for the season was to end with 50 tackles. So, of course, after tonight, 50 has expanded. It’s going way higher than 50. I’m aiming for 100 now. But it felt good, you know, starting for my first time in Jordan-Hare and being able to fly around like that.”

Riley setting a goal of 100 tackles is lofty but not unrealistic. Zakoby McClain led the Tigers last season with 96 tackles, including eight for loss and two sacks. Mclain graduated, leaving room for Riley to develop.

“I feel like it helped me out in the long run, being behind Zakoby,” Riley said during fall camp. “He’s a legend here. He helped me out in my time here; I learned a couple of things from him. Just his style of playing the game; it’s different. I feel like taking that time- those two years where I didn’t play as much as I wanted to helped me become more of a student of the game. I learned a couple of things from him that helped me out where, now, it’s my time.”

Riley’s 15 tackles were essential to a Tiger defense that held Mercer under 100 rushing yards. His journey started with gaining 20 pounds of muscle during the offseason. He was able to keep his speed while putting on the added weight.

Those 20 pounds most definitely helped. And I’m also maintaining my speed as well, Riley said. I also felt like I got faster because I was around every play.”

Putting on the extra weight did come with a small cost for Riley. The 6′5 230-pound linebacker will have to switch up his suit game this Saturday (6:30 pm CT) when the Tigers (1-0) face San Jose State (1-0).

“The funny thing that happened this morning was that I wore my suit from last year,” Riley said. “I thought I was going to be able to fit it. So when I put it on this morning, I tried to zip my pants up, and they wouldn’t zip up. I was like, ‘Wow, I didn’t know I gained this much weight.’ But yeah, it did help out really well — playing in the box in the SEC, it’s very beneficial to have those extra 20 pounds that I needed.”

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

• Like 1