why are people racist?

aubiefifty

16 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

So first side is the “car jackers” ? 

Those are the one the Mayor of New Orleans will support in a court of law.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

??

The people you mentioned are all a result of the inherent racism in this country. 

They didn't create any of it.  They are a product of it - a symptom, not the cause.

7 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

With ridiculous statues, flags, celebrations and worst of all,,, the desire to keep it institutionalized.  There was nothing good about the confederacy. 

In some corners of this nation it will take a very long time to die off. What you call ridiculous they call it something else. It's not a white only issue either. Many of our cultures in the US cling to places and times that they are three and four plus generations removed from. It's time to look forward and rip off the rear view mirror. 

22 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

It's time to look forward and rip off the rear view mirror. 

Yes, exactly why we need to get rid of the statues and the ridiculous flags.

Still, not until we have "justice for all".

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

The people you mentioned are all a result of the inherent racism in this country. 

They didn't create any of it.  They are a product of it - a symptom, not the cause.

Bull! They are professional race/baiters and con men who lead the unlearned masses of the Demonic party.

• Dislike 2

On 9/2/2022 at 5:34 PM, jj3jordan said:

Back in the day the N word was just a description not a pejorative like it is now.  Not excusing him but it was a different society back then.

The reason we have racist issues today is because democrats accuse everybody of being racists when they disagree about pretty much anything. They are keeping it alive to use as a tool to divide society along racial lines and then exploit those divisions for political gain. The truth is most of us republicans or MAGAs or both don’t care about a persons race.

I actually agree with the first sentence... then you had to go jumping 100 feet over the shark.

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

On 9/6/2022 at 8:54 PM, PUB78 said:

Bull! They are professional race/baiters and con men who lead the unlearned masses of the Demonic party.

You have absolutely zero historical perspective on race relations in this country.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, homersapien said:

You have absolutely zero historical perspective on race relations in this country.

Okay Homer, I am being serious, give me your historical perspective.

38 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Okay Homer, I am being serious, give me your historical perspective.

Short version:  Our countries heritage is treating black people as chattel.

It takes many generations to recover from that.  More than we have yet experienced.

Would you like a book list?

48 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Short version:  Our countries heritage is treating black people as chattel.

It takes many generations to recover from that.  More than we have yet experienced.

Would you like a book list?

So, nothing about all the progress since the 1960’s. Is our nation still treating blacks as chattel today? If so, please provide some examples, not just isolated incidents.

Send me the reading list you recommend.

Thanks for being brief in your reply, that is unusual for you!😃

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, PUB78 said:

So, nothing about all the progress since the 1960’s. Is our nation still treating blacks as chattel today? If so, please provide some examples, not just isolated incidents.

Send me the reading list you recommend.

Thanks for being brief in your reply, that is unusual for you!😃

I was addressing our history of racism, not just the progress that has been made in my lifetime (70+ years).

But even so, that recent progress doesn't even come close to altering the lingering reality of the last 400 year's effect on the present. 

Perhaps the most hopeful thing about the last 75 years is that the effect of 400 years of institutional racism can perhaps be rectified more quickly than it was created.  Maybe in the next 100 to 150 years?  We are at least that far away from a race-free society, IMO.  (That is, assuming it's even possible.)

(Randomly chosen) references:

https://www.amazon.com/Stamped-Beginning-Definitive-History-National/dp/1568585985

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/books/review/a-history-of-race-and-racism-in-america-in-24-chapters.html

https://libguides.furman.edu/c.php?g=1046307&p=7599411

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/15/books/review/the-1619-project-nikole-hannah-jones-caitlin-roper-ilena-silverman-jake-silverstein.html

I am assuming you have a library card and a decent local library, which is perhaps an overly optimistic assumption.

Edited by homersapien

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

I was addressing our history of racism, not just the progress that has been made in my lifetime (70+ years).

But even so, that recent progress doesn't even come close to altering the lingering reality of the last 400 year's effect on the present. 

Perhaps the most hopeful thing about the last 75 years is that the effect of 400 years of institutional racism can perhaps be rectified more quickly than it was created.  Maybe in the next 100 to 150 years?  We are at least that far away from a race-free society, IMO.  (That is, assuming it's even possible.)

(Randomly chosen) references:

https://www.amazon.com/Stamped-Beginning-Definitive-History-National/dp/1568585985

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/22/books/review/a-history-of-race-and-racism-in-america-in-24-chapters.html

https://libguides.furman.edu/c.php?g=1046307&p=7599411

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/15/books/review/the-1619-project-nikole-hannah-jones-caitlin-roper-ilena-silverman-jake-silverstein.html

I am assuming you have a library card and a decent local library, which is perhaps an overly optimistic assumption.

You are too funny! I have access to the finest libraries in Alabama.

• Facepalm 1

On 9/4/2022 at 5:57 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Better. 9/100

i started to tell you how i got the name big shooter but i was nice. i am always nice. when i have lost my freakin mind on here i try not to elevate past a certain point to give you guys just a little tiny break.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/6/2022 at 11:20 AM, icanthearyou said:

With ridiculous statues, flags, celebrations and worst of all,,, the desire to keep it institutionalized.  There was nothing good about the confederacy. 

At the sound of being called crazy: I have military minded people, even true PhD professors that are obsessed with "Fighting even though you know it is over, even if it costs you your life" 

IE: The Confederates knew by April 1864 that the War was likely lost, By January 1865 it was a certainty and yet they fought on...FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS. Slavery, Wealthy Land Owners that cared nothing for the middle class but to exploit them. For horrible living conditions and wealth inequity. But still, they honored their oaths and fought on, knowing it was a lost cause.

IE The German Army/Navy/Luftwaffe in WWII. They fought on long since knowing they had no chance to win. 1944 and on the tide had long since turned against the GERMAN PEOPLE. But yet again they had TAKEN OATHS to Hitler. The good in people makes them want to honor oaths they take, even when reason tells them clearly that they have long since lost. 

I am very curious about this phenomenon. Why do people fight on against hopeless odds and follow people that are leading them into certain defeat? Why do I and many more care? We may be about to see this happen with the MAGA Right. 2022 is now looking like a certain loss. trump associated candidates are losing their asses. And yet they fight on.

"With all the ridiculous statues, flags, celebrations, meetings, and worst of all... the desire to make it institutionalized.  There was nothing good about MAGA Culture."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

i started to tell you how i got the name big shooter but i was nice. i am always nice. when i have lost my freakin mind on here i try not to elevate past a certain point to give you guys just a little tiny break.

We all get a little freaky on here on occasion.  If we don’t recognize it mods usually do.  Keep on keepin on fifty, we will adjust.  Thanks for the little breaks.

• Love 1

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

At the sound of being called crazy: I have military minded people, even true PhD professors that are obsessed with "Fighting even though you know it is over, even if it costs you your life" 

IE: The Confederates knew by April 1864 that the War was likely lost, By January 1865 it was a certainty and yet they fought on...FOR ALL THE WRONG REASONS. Slavery, Wealthy Land Owners that cared nothing for the middle class but to exploit them. For horrible living conditions and wealth inequity. But still, they honored their oaths and fought on, knowing it was a lost cause.

IE The German Army/Navy/Luftwaffe in WWII. They fought on long since knowing they had no chance to win. 1944 and on the tide had long since turned against the GERMAN PEOPLE. But yet again they had TAKEN OATHS to Hitler. The good in people makes them want to honor oaths they take, even when reason tells them clearly that they have long since lost. 

I am very curious about this phenomenon. Why do people fight on against hopeless odds and follow people that are leading them into certain defeat? Why do I and many more care? We may be about to see this happen with the MAGA Right. 2022 is now looking like a certain loss. trump associated candidates are losing their asses. And yet they fight on.

"With all the ridiculous statues, flags, celebrations, meetings, and worst of all... the desire to make it institutionalized.  There was nothing good about MAGA Culture."

i would fight for pot if i could find a gun that shot flowers..............

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

We all get a little freaky on here on occasion.  If we don’t recognize it mods usually do.  Keep on keepin on fifty, we will adjust.  Thanks for the little breaks.

i would just as soon get a butt chewing from you as anyone else on here. how weird is that? am i developing a fetish for you and butt chewings i? if i do lord help you but run because i have ocd and stuff keeps circling in my brain.........lol

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

Cheech And Chong GIFs | Tenor

i am mad at you buster. you missed my birthday on the 16th which means i got no present nor cake or even the get me drunk and take advantage of me you do so swell.

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Cheech And Chong GIFs | Tenor

i think i have that movie somewhere. i loved basketball jones. remember that one?