CFB Playoff will expand to 12 teams by 2026

WFE12

29 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Maybe some of the lesser tier will go away and allow more (out of top 12 to go to higher tier.

I feel like a major split is going to happen sooner rather than later. Mega conferences will occur. Allow the little guys to have their own playoffs is what I advocated. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, WFE12 said:

6 highest ranked conference champs? Which conferences? The power 5 and the highest non- power 5? So essentially if you win your conference you are in? Didn't really want that but whatever .

They have to go with 12 teams. Otherwise, with the teams leaving the PAC12 and Big12, those two conferences would never get a team in the playoffs!

25 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Yep.  It's not college basketball.  Parody doesn't exist.  The cream will still rise and it'll be the same final 4 every year.

Not to mention you'll have 3 playoff games potentially and the average fan will have to decide which to go see, the first one or the last one. 

The only parody here is that we have fans that don't want something that has a direct benefit to Auburn. Blows my mind. 

1 hour ago, Brad_ATX said:

donald-glover-good.gif

there only needs to be around 18 bowl games  at most  if it was up to me  8 wins or no bowl  

13 minutes ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

The only parody here is that we have fans that don't want something that has a direct benefit to Auburn. Blows my mind. 

it is really interesting to me because the same fans cry about Auburn's schedule..A stronger schedule will benefit with an expanded playoffs....

• Like 2

I don’t know what to think because the SEC has constantly been getting 2 teams in. I am not sure what the structure is but if it allows 3 or more SEC teams to get in all hell gonna break loose IMO. Had Auburn finished the job in 2017 they would have been the first 2 loss team in.

Edited by e808
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, e808 said:

I don’t know what to think because the SEC has constantly been getting 2 teams in. I am not sure what the structure is but if it allows 3 or more SEC teams to get in all hell gonna break loose IMO. Had Auburn finished the job in 2017 they would have been the first 2 loss team in.

Correct. It makes sense that more teams from the SEC would get in if half the playoff field has been the SEC a couple of times under this current system

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, e808 said:

It'll for sure get 2 SEC teams at a minimum now, likely 3. 

This is great for us.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Does not bode well for-bowl games. Think many will die.

I thought for sure that all 11 games would be played in bowl games?

40 minutes ago, e808 said:

That 2017 team is the kind of team that will win championships with this playoff. Have to peak at the right time and go on that kind of run in the playoffs. 

You don't have to be perfect all season. This has to work against Bama and UGA and in favor of us. 

Anyone who is sick of seeing the same teams in the playoffs every year should welcome this news. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I feel like a major split is going to happen sooner rather than later. Mega conferences will occur. Allow the little guys to have their own playoffs is what I advocated. 

I can certainly see this happening and quite frankly, working.

1 hour ago, DAG said:

it is really interesting to me because the same fans cry about Auburn's schedule..A stronger schedule will benefit with an expanded playoffs....

As long as they weigh SOS heavily enough. Doesn’t always work that way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Who’s going to be at the games? The logistics of having to play 3 or 4 games at locations TBD across the country is not conducive to packed stadiums for the average fan, and there’s only so many of the very rich. Of course, it’s a problem I hope AU fans have to deal with soon. 

Round 1 will be on campus. 

The average fan can't afford to go to games and will watch on TV like always. 

It'll be fine 

Billions of more dollars. But can't pay the players 

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I absolutely HATE this....

Oh no. Not more good football to watch. What in heaves will we do!!!

Just think of all the thread titles that this will create....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, cbo said:

This is good for Auburn. 

It is but would really like to make it once with the 4 teams. So we don’t hear the “only got in because they expanded “ talk. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

6 highest ranked conference champs? Which conferences? The power 5 and the highest non- power 5? So essentially if you win your conference you are in? Didn't really want that but whatever .

Will there be 6 conferences left??

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

It is but would really like to make it once with the 4 teams. So we don’t hear the “only got in because they expanded “ talk. 

Will there be 6 conferences left??

It is a ode to the little guy. I think we will always have 10 conferences. The none power would just move schools up, if their peers get poached.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

Round 1 will be on campus. 

The average fan can't afford to go to games and will watch on TV like always. 

It'll be fine 

Billions of more dollars. But can't pay the players 

How will they go about with the bowl games for the 5-12 losers, then? Will they carve out two designated bowls for them? Surely they won't get punished for making the top 12 while teams outside the top 12 go to a bowl, right?

Empty seats are a bit depressing, miss the days of regularly full stadiums. Perhaps @Brad_ATX, for all on which I disagree with him, has a point with his disdain for bowls--namely, they've made it uniquely logistically difficult for CFB to have a playoff.

EDIT: How would Notre Dame be counted in? Would they be forbidden from ever getting a bye? Would they count as ACC and therefore get one if they finished higher than any other ACC team? 🥴

4 hours ago, DAG said:

It depends on exactly how strong. If every SEC team gets two from its "tier" and one from the other (especially if our "one from the other" is Vandy), then we should def be able to get to 10-2 every four years or so. All but two >=10 win (reg season) SEC teams in the playoff era (2014 Missouri and 2015 Florida) would have gotten in under this metric.

If not for the highest ranked G5 champ getting an automatic bid, such a ridiculously unbalanced schedule (re: Florida or LSU being our third perma) might be ok. I base this off the fact that we finished 12th in the CFP in 2019 at 9-3, but would've been beaten out by 17th ranked Memphis. So if the only automatic qualifiers were the P5 champs, 9-3 with such a tough schedule would legit get us in. But as it stands, I think we're going to need 10-2,  which means that yes, we need a level playing field.

Edited by AUwent

Finally! Div. 1 college football has joined the rest of the world! 

• Like 1