CFB Playoff will expand to 12 teams by 2026

WFE12

16 hours ago, kennypowers said:

As long as they don't take away the Dukes Mayo or San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl.

That's quality stuff right there!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

36 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Did you see the projected playoff chart if it were today? Handful of SEC teams in it lol

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, DAG said:

it is really interesting to me because the same fans cry about Auburn's schedule..A stronger schedule will benefit with an expanded playoffs....

Well, the SEC is strong enough that we don't need to be gluttons for punishment in order to be worthy of making the playoffs.

I don't mind this so much. Question though: Is it going to be "Jumping January"? "January Jubilee"? I mean, this is just one step closer to the football version of March Madness. I bet it won't be too much longer before college football crowns its first 3 loss national champion (no, retrospective computer polls still don't count). How much you want to bet that they'll be from the SEC?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, DAG said:

Did you see the projected playoff chart if it were today? Handful of SEC teams in it lol

Oh yeah it’s inevitable 

You know? I know they would never do this, but it almost makes me wonder if it might not be more fun for Bama to be in a different pod and be some kind of permanent cross-pod rival. That way we could, conceivably, beat them 3 times in the same season: once in the regular season, once in the SECCG, and then again in the playoffs. 

Okay, no more message boards for me. Gotta figure out this numerical analysis crap before I take off for the Plains. Pray for me.

I approve of this for several reasons, but specifically because I think it will increase the ability of schools besides uat, uga, osu, and sometimes Clemson from stockpiling 4 and 5 star players. At least that is my hope. Right now every HS played dreams of a scholarship to play college ball. The elite players dream of college championships. To achieve that right now, you pretty much go to one of the teams above.  NIL will change this some, and 12 teams making it to the dance will change it more, hopefully. Players do have favorite schools, and can now go to many more schools and still have a good shot at the playoffs. I can see this limiting the amount of 4 and 5 stars that are now split between 3 or 4 schools and bringing more parity to NCAA football. A well coached, solid  team with 3&4 stars will be more competitive if the elite athletes are spread out all over the country and the games will be better overall given enough time.

Edited by JuscAUse!

5 minutes ago, JuscAUse! said:

I approve of this for several reasons, but specifically because I think it will increase the ability of schools besides uat, uga, osu, and sometimes Clemson from stockpiling 4 or 5 star players. At least that is my hope. Right now every HS played dreams of a scholarship to play college ball. The elite players dream of college championships. To achieve that right now, you pretty much go to one of the teams above.  NIL will change this some, and 12 teams making it to the dance will change it more, hopefully. Players do have favorite schools, and can now go to many more schools and still have a good shot at the playoffs. I can see this limiting the amount of 4 and 5 stars that are now split between 3 or 4 schools and bringing more parity to NCAA football. A well coached, solid  team with 3&4 stars will be more competitive if the elite athletes are spread out all over the country and the games will be better overall given enough time.

Not sure it necessarily means redistribution of wealth of players but certainly hope it works that way. In the least watching top 12 rated teams play each other means more opportunities. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hank2020 said:

Not sure it necessarily means redistribution of wealth of players but certainly hope it works that way. In the least watching top 12 rated teams play each other means more opportunities. 

You may be right. I noticed I used "think" and "hopefully" a time or two....

• Like 1

I see on the ESPN article, only 4 automatic bids and 8 at large from the way it reads.  Top 4 Champions get the Bye. Seeds 5-12 play at the higher seed home field.  Quarters and Semis rotate and use the bowls.  Neutral championship. 

Current CFP committee rankings system used for the 12 teams. 

I love only 4 Champs guaranteed more than 6 if that's indeed the case and find this about perfect. This will be able to hold true if/ when we go 4 super conferences as well.  I think with 12 teams, you can still allow play with Group of 5 type teams.  They will need those to try to make top 12. We've seen they can get 2 in top 12, better than 1 in top 8. I'm game on this and ready to see it in 2024 instead, along with our expanded conference. 

Edited by AUBwins

19 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

I see on the ESPN article, only 4 automatic bids and 8 at large from the way it reads.  Top 4 Champions get the Bye. Seeds 5-12 play at the higher seed home field.  Quarters and Semis rotate and use the bowls.  Neutral championship. 

I love only 4 Champs guaranteed more than 6 if that's indeed the case and find this about perfect. This will be able to hold true if/ when we go 4 super conferences as well.  I think with 12 teams, you can still allow play with Group of 5 type teams.  They will need those to try to make top 12. We've seen they can get 2 in top 12, better than 1 in top 8. I'm game on this and ready to see it in 2024 instead, along with our expanded conference. 

That's not what this article says. :(

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-football/news/college-football-playoff-expansion-12-team-format/tletsztkuk6x3q0qftcsjsjh

Edited by AUwent

43 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Yeah I don't know if that is accurate. From what I read, it says the top four highest ranked conference champions will get a bye. But the six conference champions will still get in.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I don't know if that is accurate. From what I read, it says the top four highest ranked conference champions will get a bye. But the six conference champions will still get in.

That's fine if that's the case.  I like what I thought better though 😆 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

That's fine if that's the case.  I like what I thought better though 😆 

Me as well. If only the top four conf champions got automatic spots, we would've gotten in in 2019.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

Me as well. If only the top four conf champions got automatic spots, we would've gotten in in 2019.

They needed all conf agreements to move forward and this is how they got it. If not the other 8 would have been predominantly SEC/BIG/ACC.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hank2020 said:

They needed all conf agreements to move forward and this is how they got it. If not the other 8 would have been predominantly SEC/BIG/ACC.

Well, it was the ONLY way I would’ve even grudgingly accepted an LSU or Florida in our third spot. 

23 hours ago, yngwie1995 said:

I was just speculating why they chose 12 (probably because "8 is too few, and 16 is too many").

12 disciples, 12 teams.    Duh.  

This may have been discussed already, but if this new Playoff takes 6 conference champs, then Oregon, Baylor, Ok State, etc. have to be licking their chops now that the Blue Bloods have left their conferences.

I know this is all about money, but why the hell would UCLA or SoCal go to the B1G now? Surely, they could back out if it wasn't all about money. If I'm Notre Dame I would make a bee line to the ACC, so I don't get sucked into the B1G or SEC.

This is all still very stupid. Would you risk playing your starting QB or RB against any cupcake OOC or conference game if you think you may have the opportunity 16 or 17 games? lol will conference championship games still exist? Good Lord, that's a lot of football.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, woodford said:

This may have been discussed already, but if this new Playoff takes 6 conference champs, then Oregon, Baylor, Ok State, etc. have to be licking their chops now that the Blue Bloods have left their conferences.

I know this is all about money, but why the hell would UCLA or SoCal go to the B1G now? Surely, they could back out if it wasn't all about money. If I'm Notre Dame I would make a bee line to the ACC, so I don't get sucked into the B1G or SEC.

This is all still very stupid. Would you risk playing your starting QB or RB against any cupcake OOC or conference game if you think you may have the opportunity 16 or 17 games? lol will conference championship games still exist? Good Lord, that's a lot of football.

My concern as well. Hey, enough people are sick of cupcakes--if we're going to do this can we just cut down the regular season to 10 games? Pretty please?

Edited by AUwent

Just now, AUwent said:

My concern as well. Hey, enough people are sick of cupcakes--if we're going to do this can we just cut down the regular season to 10 games? Pretty please?

I'm with you. I've wanted to go back 11 regular season games for a while now.

The Playoff has already pretty much rendered the SECCG meaningless in some situations. Hell, the narrative for the last 3 is that the favorite could lose and still get in. So, (to the casual fan) what's the point in watching? Even a better question, why risk injury to starters? Just play backups.

The folks who created this playoff were so savvy and slick by basically having no rules so you can arbitrarily make them up as you go along. 

I have said ever since we got the Playoff that the conference championship games should be de-facto first round games of the playoff. You create must-see TV for the conference and TV networks, and you have an expanded playoff without expanding the playoff. 

• Like 1

This expanded playoff (12 teams) means the playoff committee's "eye test" will be broadened a bit and that #12/#13 ranked team will be pissed when they don't make the cut.

Oh well, folks hated the BCS model, then hated the 4 team CFP model .... now we'll see if this new model will appease everyone. 

10 minutes ago, JerryAU said:

This expanded playoff (12 teams) means the playoff committee's "eye test" will be broadened a bit and that #12/#13 ranked team will be pissed when they don't make the cut.

Oh well, folks hated the BCS model, then hated the 4 team CFP model .... now we'll see if this new model will appease everyone. 

Imagine if there had been a four team committee during the BCS era. Whoo boy, there would've been an outcry almost every year.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2013/10/14/4837090/college-football-playoff-selection-committee

Edited by AUwent
  • Love 1

Does this not actually help the powerhouse programs more to the point in which you can now pull off an upset against an Alabama and instead of nuking their whole seasons work it's like "whatever just a small chink in the armor"? I see benefit for weaker programs that aren't powerhouses and I see some personal relief in not having to invest much emotional energy in to the regular season like the NFL.  I'll say it once more but it'd be awesome if they kept some of these playoff games on college campuses but that won't happen I'm sure. 

It’s going in the wrong direction. It should be reduced to 3 teams. I thought the issue with the BCS was making sure the top two teams got into the big game. How many times in the BCS era was there a team ranked 4th that should have been considered ranked in the top two (outside of maybe a non power 5). I don’t recall many… Maybe there is more money in more teams.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, woodford said:

You answered your question.