CFB Playoff will expand to 12 teams by 2026

WFE12

12 feels a bit much...but we'll see where it goes with the transfer portal.  The updyke reign may very well be coming to an end.

Since 2014 all but two SEC teams that won at least 10 regular season games would’ve qualified. So getting in the newly expanded playoff once every four/five years is a very reasonable goal for us.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

The updyke reign may very well be coming to an end.

It certainly makes it more challenging for them.   Now, instead of playing that one team everybody knows shouldn’t be there, and then the championship game, the teams that shouldn’t be there will get eliminated in the first round, and bama will have to beat 3 good teams in a row to win it all.   A lot more variables to consider.   Much greater chance to slip up and lose one.   I like it!

• Like 1

So it sounds like the top 4 seeds get a first round bye. 

I don't know why they don't make everyone play the same amount of games. Anything can happen, including injuries.

I wonder if that's how they got it to 12, since maybe they thought 8 was too few, and 16 was too many?

Edited by yngwie1995
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

So it sounds like the top 4 seeds get a first round bye. 

I don't know why they don't make everyone play the same amount of games. Anything can happen, including injuries.

I wonder if that's how they got it to 12, since maybe they thought 8 was too few, and 16 was too many?

Someone will always eventually get a bye with 12 teams

6 matchups (12 teams) play with no bye.  Down to 3 matchups (6 teams).  When you play those, you have 3 teams left.  One would get a bye right before the NCG.  No bueno

Edited by kennypowers

Idk about Bama reign coming to an end because as a top ranked team u still playing the lesser foe. IMO with the expansion it gives the high ranked team to play an even lesser opponent 

• Like 1

We can/should definitely be a perennial playoff contender if we need to make the top 12 or top 6 At-Large births. There is no excuse for not finishing at least in that discussion each year 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

12 feels a bit much...but we'll see where it goes with the transfer portal.  The updyke reign may very well be coming to an end.

I agree 12. Geez 

Who’s going to be at the games? The logistics of having to play 3 or 4 games at locations TBD across the country is not conducive to packed stadiums for the average fan, and there’s only so many of the very rich. Of course, it’s a problem I hope AU fans have to deal with soon. 

Edited by Gowebb11
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Someone will always eventually get a bye with 12 teams

6 matchups (12 teams) play with no bye.  Down to 3 matchups (6 teams).  When you play those, you have 3 teams left.  One would get a bye right before the NCG.  No bueno

Of course I understand that with 12 teams, there will be bye games. I mean, just re-read my post, that's clearly what I'm saying.

I was just speculating why they chose 12 (probably because "8 is too few, and 16 is too many").

I don't exactly think byes are fair, especially when it's mostly like going to be an elite team getting the bye. Then again, it's better than what we have right now. First round essentially becomes a play-in game for seeds 5-12.

Edited by yngwie1995

3 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

Who’s going to be at the games? The logistics of having to play 3 or 4 games at locations TBD across the country is not conducive to packed stadiums for the average fan, and there’s only so many of the very rich. Of course, it’s a problem I hope AU fans have to deal with soon. 

Metaverse. Problem solved.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, yngwie1995 said:

Of course I understand that with 12 teams, there will be bye games. I mean, just re-read my post, that's clearly what I'm saying.

I was just speculating why they chose 12 (probably because "8 is too few, and 16 is too many").

I don't exactly think byes are fair, especially when it's mostly like going to be an elite team getting the bye. Then again, it's better than what we have right now. First round essentially becomes a play-in game for seeds 5-12.

My bad I was just focused on the math

18 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Does not bode well for-bowl games. Think many will die.

As long as they don't take away the Dukes Mayo or San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Does not bode well for-bowl games. Think many will die.

I have always said 16 team playoffs and do away with the bowl games.

• Like 3

Nice to expanded playoffs! Boo to 12 teams. I like 8 but if that is not enough do 16. I don’t like byes for top teams. Too much advantage there

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, DAG said:

I have always said 16 team playoffs and do away with the bowl games.

Maybe some of the lesser tier will go away and allow more (out of top 12 to go to higher tier.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, gravejd said:

Nice to expanded playoffs! Boo to 12 teams. I like 8 but if that is not enough do 16. I don’t like byes for top teams. Too much advantage there

Which is why they chose 12.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WarTiger said:

I absolutely HATE this....

Yep.  It's not college basketball.  Parity doesn't exist.  The cream will still rise and it'll be the same final 4 every year.

Not to mention you'll have 3 playoff games potentially and the average fan will have to decide which to go see, the first one or the last one. 

• Like 1