Auburn Roster Talent Level

AUApostle

So we get this story today from AU Undercover with Donnan saying our roster is nearly Vandy-level bad.  I agree that numbers are low and I think we’re in trouble at some positions in ‘23 and beyond unless we have a championship level season this year.

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/Ex-Georgia-coach-Jim-Donnan-comments-on-state-of-Auburn-football-likens-roster-to-Vanderbilt--192381250/?fbclid=IwAR2vdzSNSAQ0bTQlBiq-rNUqES_PlW63G_2idnIIS4HBnaX2_H7LBgRV5OU

However, 247 just released a ranking of teams by talent level, and surprisingly Auburn is still in the top half of the league.  In fact, when you put our #17 ranking against the schedule, we should end up at 7-5. Of course, this doesn’t take in to account some positions being more key than others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very talented, deep, and senior-led team means special season.  HC is a guy that can fan flames within and bind players together while putting players in the CORRECT position to succeed.  Harsin may very well be part of the future of helping tear down teams like UGA and A&M in the transfer portal.

Teams with coaches I don't think are actually great Head Coaches:

UGA - Relies on extreme talent/recruiting.  Good position coach...HC material?  Not so confident.
A&M - I really do think Jimbo is going to get A&M in a hole like he did FSU...CANNOT wait for that to happen.
Penn State - How is this guy still the HC at Penn State?
Ole Miss - Good QB coach, schemer, and recruiter...not a good HC.  Gus with no filter.
Arkansas...excellent team dad though.

Don't know anything about Mizzou coach...

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

This is why I'm always optimistic that Auburn can turn things around so quickly We usually have top 15 talent, but hardly ever the right coaching or equality of talent across different position groups.

The right coach could flourish at Auburn. Gus ran a HS gimmick offense and averaged around 8 wins a year mainly off athleticism. I think we all know what would've happened with better coaching.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, woodford said:

This is why I'm always optimistic that Auburn can turn things around so quickly We usually have top 15 talent, but hardly ever the right coaching or equality of talent across different position groups.

The right coach could flourish at Auburn. Gus ran a HS gimmick offense and averaged around 8 wins a year mainly off athleticism. I think we all know what would've happened with better coaching.

I see 5 potential first round picks on our squad.

Tank
Wooden
Pappoe
Hall
Pritchett/Simpson

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Tank
Wooden
Pappoe
Hall
Pritchett/Simpson

It's possible. Today I would say maybe one goes on the first day next April (someone on defense), but I hope I'm wrong.

I have heard so many pundits crap on the WR group. They are going to find out here soon.

59 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Very talented, deep, and senior-led team means special season.  HC is a guy that can fan flames within and bind players together while putting players in the CORRECT position to succeed.  Harsin may very well be part of the future of helping tear down teams like UGA and A&M in the transfer portal.

UGA - Relies on extreme talent/recruiting.  Good position coach...HC material?  Not so confident.
A&M - I really do think Jimbo is going to get A&M in a hole like he did FSU...CANNOT wait for that to happen.
Ole Miss - Good QB coach, schemer, and recruiter...not a good HC.  Gus with no filter.

Theres not a team on your list with “not great” head coaches who would even consider trading their guy for Harsin.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, kennypowers said:

Tank
Wooden
Pappoe
Hall
Pritchett/Simpson

Hall maaaaaaybe.  That's it

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR said:

Theres not a team on your list with “not great” head coaches who would even consider trading their guy for Harsin.

K

2 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Arky was 4-8, 2-10 and 2-10 (ONE win in league play) the three years before Pittman got there. What he has done is miraculous and what would we give for 9 wins in Harsin's second year...

1 hour ago, woodford said:

Facing a top five SoS in the country every year. I used to be on board with hating on Gus but now I think we really under appreciated the guy. Here are realistic goals for Auburn to aspire for the time being (re: till Dinky retires):

-10 regular season wins once every five years (in 12 team playoff, we would almost certainly get a spot under this scenario)

-At least nine wins incl. bowl three of every five years

-At least eight wins incl. bowl four of every five years

-At least seven wins incl. bowl every year

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Tank
Wooden
Pappoe
Hall
Pritchett/Simpson

I’m sorry but there is not one 1st round pick in that group.   What is it, 32 picks in the 1st round?  Like one poster said,  maybe Hall.   

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m sorry but there is not one 1st round pick in that group.   What is it, 32 picks in the 1st round?  Like one poster said,  maybe Hall.   

We shall see.

18 hours ago, kennypowers said:

Tank
Wooden
Pappoe
Hall
Pritchett/Simpson

You do realize that that would be one more than the four 1st round picks off the undefeated 2004 team? For any one of those guys to go 1st round they'd have to have a huge breakout season. Five having such a season in the same year is unlikely to say the least.

• Like 3

Dang people, kennypowers didn't say those 5 would be first round picks. He said they had potential. 

And I don't think the majority under appreciated Gus any more than Gus under delivered on some winnable games. Over time that grew old along with some other issues. If you're not growing then you're dying in this sport. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 3

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

You do realize that that would be one more than the four 1st round picks off the undefeated 2004 team? For any one of those guys to go 1st round they'd have to have a huge breakout season. Five having such a season in the same year is unlikely to say the least.

You do realize he said "had the potential"?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gr82be said:

Dang people, kennypowers didn't say those 5 would be first round picks. He said they had potential. 

And I don't think the majority under appreciated Gus any more than Gus under delivered on some winnable games. Over time that grew old along with some other issues. If you're not growing then you're dying in this sport. 

Bottom line is, who among us wouldn’t gladly take a guarantee of 9 wins during one of the next three seasons?

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mikey said:

K

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Right?!?

There are so many people trying to detract and hold this team back.  We don't need to perptuate that. I don't understand, tomorrow is our first game of the year and instead of being pumped and excited people keep trying to figure out why were going to fail and struggle. This is the most hopeful, optimistic time of year.  Let's start acting accordingly.

They will be made to enjoy the football season if it kills them...and for some, it just might.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Some of you have yet to get #HardForHarsin.

Can't wait to start the season tomorrow, so we can move forward no matter the outcome.

• Like 1

I'll buy that we've had occasional coaching hickups the last 20 years but IMO the last time we were lacking in a LOT of SEC caliber talent was the late '90s.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

I'll buy that we've had occasional coaching hickups the last 20 years but IMO the last time we were lacking in a LOT of SEC caliber talent was the late '90s.

I don't know, Man. The 1997 team won the SEC West, lost the championship game by one point and finished 10-3. Can't do that without SEC caliber talent.

34 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't know, Man. The 1997 team won the SEC West, lost the championship game by one point and finished 10-3. Can't do that without SEC caliber talent.

Yeah, but that was somewhat fool’s gold. Without Dameyeune Craig that team was at least a 4-5 loss team regular season; DC was almost a one man gang on offense that year. The chickens of Bowden’s recruiting failures came home to roost the next year 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1