there is a vote Friday on CFP 12-team playoff

aubiefifty

CFP Board of Managers to vote Friday on 12-team playoff for as early as 2024 season

Updated: Aug. 31, 2022, 4:58 p.m.|Published: Aug. 31, 2022, 4:54 p.m.
2 minutes

The Board of Managers is expected to vote on a 12-team CFP format Friday, opening the way for an expansion of the playoff as early as 2024.

College Football Playoff trophyGetty Images

The College Football Playoff could be expanded to a 12-team format sooner rather than later.

The Board of Managers is expected to vote in a virtual meeting on playoff expansion. If that vote is unanimous, reports “Sports Illustrated,” the expanded playoff could happen as early as 2024.

Brett McMurphy confirmed the report, adding it is the same proposed 12-team format recommended last year by the CFP working group.

The Board of Managers is made up of 11 members and has a presidential representative from each FBS conference and Notre Dame. According to the report, many of the presidents have grown frustrated with recent attempts to expand.

The CFP is in the final four years of a contract with ESPN that expires after the 2025 playoff. A unanimous vote is needed. The management committee, which was made up of 10 FBS commissioners and Notre Dame AD Jack Swarbrick, voted 8-3 on the format. SI reports the expansion will provide an additional $450 million of gross revenue over those ‘24 and ‘25.

The report cites a number of hurdles to clear. The dates of the title game would have to be pushed back, even as the sites for the ‘24 and ‘25 games have already been announced. Furthermore, ESPN holds the media rights for both games.

If the vote doesn’t pass, expansion would begin in 2026, and all networks would bid on the CFP.

Check out the full report here.

Mark Heim is a sports reporter for The Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Mark_Heim.

I don't like a 12 team format. Who gets the bye(s)? It should be either the current four or else eight or 16. Not that my preference matters but I like the current four.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I don't like a 12 team format. Who gets the bye(s)? It should be either the current four or else eight or 16. Not that my preference matters but I like the current four.

Whoever ESPN wants to have byes. Their monopoly (like all monopolies) on the Playoff has mainly negative side effects and the consumer ultimately suffers from a poor product.

• Like 3

I think I heard on the radio that the most like scenario is that the top 4 get byes. Seeds 5-12  first round, top seeds play at home. The hiccup is the qualifiers and figuring out the Rose Bowl contract. If they do it right it would hopefully stop conference expansion. Like with USC and UCLA (I think) leaving the Pac 10 or 12 or whatever would they still have an automatic spot for it's champion.  Would there be a cap, so to speak, with how many teams from one conference getting in. They've apparently been surveying AD's/schools/commissioners for over a year to find the best solution.