Auburn football notes, quotes and links (8/29-30)

aubiefifty

Auburn football notes, quotes and links (8/29-30)

Phillip Marshall
4-5 minutes

AUBURN, Alabama – It was the biggest news of Auburn’s preseason, but it was no surprise when Bryan Harsin finally confirmed that T.J. Finley had won the starting quarterback job and will be under center in Saturday’s season-opener against Mercer.

There was some unhappy news, too. Harsin announced that senior center Nick Brahms’ Auburn career is over because of a leg injury.

Harsin released a two-deep depth chart and talked about the progress the Tigers’ made this spring and the challenges is to come. Finley met with reporters for the first time this season and expressed confidence that he is the man for the job.

QUOTEABLE

“It felt amazing to get the news, finally, but the job isn’t done. You know what I mean. I didn’t come here just to win a starting job; I came here to lead this team and win an SEC championship and national championship. As soon as I found out the news yesterday, my dad actually punched me in the chest and told me, ‘Son, the job isn’t done. You can get happy now that you won the job and that it’s released.’ But, like I said, the job isn’t done, and I plan on doing my best to lead this team to an SEC championship and a national championship.”—Finley on winning starting job

“What guys don’t understand was last year was my second year playing college football, and I think a lot of other quarterbacks are granted the opportunity to wait until later their junior year and early their senior year to be able to play and blossom and really show what they’ve become, but I’ve been thrown into the fire since I was 18 years old.”—Finley on last season’s troubles

“For him to come back and then not be able to play, I know it crushes him. I don't like to bring it up to him, because I know how hard it hurts. But I was one of the first people he came to to let know the news, and I appreciate that so much out of him — because, like I said, I was begging him to come back and protect me up front. But he made the best decision that he had to make for him and his family and his future. All I can do is respect him.”—Finley on loss of Brahms to injury

“When those guys came in, I kind of questioned myself, like, do I even want to play football anymore? … A lot of guys had counted me out, and a lot of guys were like, 'Oh, you need to quit football and go play basketball or do other things.' But I'm big on my faith in God, and God just continuously reminded me 'This is for you. This is what you can do.' He kind of showed me bits and pieces of what I went through last year that this is for me.”—Finley on quarterback race

“T.J. has earned it. Those other quarterbacks, they've all competed. They're not going to stop competing. They're not going to stop working. They're not going to stop trying to prepare to go out there and play, because they don't know. You're one play away. That's just the reality of it in football.”—Harsin on quarterbacks.

“I’m appreciative of his leadership. He’s made his decision and we have to move forward and we have to get ready for Mercer and get our team to go out there and play well. That’s really what we’re focused on right now. I know he’ll support that, and he’ll support us and wants to see us succeed. It’s kind of where we are right now.”—Harsin on Allen Greene’s resignation as AD