Worst case scenario-CBH wins and leaves?

GreenTiger

Does anyone else share in the concern that Coach Harsin will put together a respectable winning season and leverage that into a new HC job for himself? 

I can see such a scenario and frankly would not blame him one bit given the state of Auburn leadership dynamics. 

• Like 2

I can totally see that happening. If it does, everything starts over from scratch and continues to set our program back. For now, I’m just hoping we see an improved product on the field and enjoy a great season. 

• Like 2

At least it would save us from a buyout...

If he has a bad year and gets fired, there's a buyout and the press will skewer us for only giving him two years and bungling the entire process, which apparently we did.

If he wins and leaves on his own accord, it saves us from a buyout and the press will skewer us for being such a toxic place to work that we ran off a winning coach.

If he has a mediocre-to-decent year and he stays, it's just a matter of time before the inevitable firing happens, and the press will skewer us because that's what they do.

In the meantime, I'm well-stocked on bourbon for what will be an interesting season, and thankfully basketball season is just around the corner.

• Like 6

I'll have to see him build something before I'm worried about him leaving it. 

• Like 5
  • Love 1

If he wins and leaves , wish him well and thank him for probably leaving the next coach in a better position than what he had when he got here. I am sure people will be petty though.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

If he wins and leaves , wish him well and thank him for probably leaving the next coach in a better position than what he had when he got here. I am sure people will be petty though.

Yes they will. My main concern is the loss in recruiting momentum and program stability.
I suppose the downers will say what recruiting momentum and a new coach will bring in their own recruiting prospects. 

34 minutes ago, Tiger1992 said:

At least it would save us from a buyout...

If he has a bad year and gets fired, there's a buyout and the press will skewer us for only giving him two years and bungling the entire process, which apparently we did.

If he wins and leaves on his own accord, it saves us from a buyout and the press will skewer us for being such a toxic place to work that we ran off a winning coach.

If he has a mediocre-to-decent year and he stays, it's just a matter of time before the inevitable firing happens, and the press will skewer us because that's what they do.

In the meantime, I'm well-stocked on bourbon for what will be an interesting season, and thankfully basketball season is just around the corner.

I guess there are worse scenarios 

If he does win somehow, it won't hurt us that bad if he leaves. We worried about losing 4 guys we have committed? 🤷 I mean dude hasn't done anything remotely worth worrying about falling apart if he leaves. Imo. 

• Like 4
  • Facepalm 1

54 minutes ago, GreenTiger said:

Yes they will. My main concern is the loss in recruiting momentum and program stability.
I suppose the downers will say what recruiting momentum and a new coach will bring in their own recruiting prospects. 

If he wins to that extent my thinking is our recruiting should be pretty good . Of course I don’t think CBH would leave , he doesn’t strike me as that type of guy. I know to some he slaps babies for a hobby and kicks puppies on the weekends but I imagine If he is winning like that , most of it will be overlooked.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, DAG said:

If he wins to that extent my thinking is our recruiting should be pretty good . Of course I don’t think CBH would leave , he doesn’t strike me as that type of guy. I know to some he slaps babies for a hobby and kicks puppies on the weekends but I imagine If he is winning like that , most of it will be overlooked.

Slaps babies and kick puppies, damn 🤣

• Haha 1

if he does, he does and nothing we on here can do about it.  but geez, enjoy the moments we have.  some of you are still digging bunkers for the cuban missile crisis.

3 hours ago, TigerPAC said:

if he does, he does and nothing we on here can do about it.  but geez, enjoy the moments we have.  some of you are still digging bunkers for the cuban missile crisis.

You are correct. Can’t do much of anything except for have conversations like the one here. 

In regards to enjoying the moment. I’m enjoying the moment and the current coach we have within it. It’s fair to want that to continue and be concerned of the potential that he may go. Its also sports and a discussion board and its just fun to have these “what if” discussions around our favorite teams. 

Nothing would surprise me at this point concerning Auburn football. But if it did happen who could blame him. The one solid ally he had is now gone. But Harsin comes across as a man who wants to beat all the odds and shove in their faces. I do hope he's able to do that. It just feels (at the moment anyway) he's in a lose-lose situation not only this year but next year when you look at the roster. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

If so, I hope he leaves us with more of a future O line pool than we have right now.

Jeff Grimes will clean that up when he gets here.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

I don’t think that’s the worst case scenario. That means we had a winning season, and we’re not on the hook for a buyout.   
(Worst case is we have a horrible season and he stays, because we still can’t afford to fire him)

I love AU, but after the way CBH was treated, if he won 10,11 games and then took a job somewhere else, double-birding us on his way out the door, I wouldn’t hold it against him one bit.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, DAG said:

He has said, he came here because this is one of the places that can compete yearly for championships.  That's what he wants above all else.  I don't see him bailing like some think for schools like ASU or UDub.

7 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Jeff Grimes will clean that up when he gets here.

He definitely would be one of, if not, the first call for me.  It would've been Beamer or Elliott but those ships sailed last year. Best case though is to allow CBH to see his vision through.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, GreenTiger said:

Does anyone else share in the concern that Coach Harsin will put together a respectable winning season and leverage that into a new HC job for himself? 

I can see such a scenario and frankly would not blame him one bit given the state of Auburn leadership dynamics. 

Yep, I've stated this many times

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Auctoritas said:

If he didn't nope out in February, I don't think he's going to bounce after 1 good season. Dude has some pride about him.

Good point

4 hours ago, aucom96 said:

I'll have to see him build something before I'm worried about him leaving it. 

Since there's been no indication of anything to be excited about.....I don't think many people are losing sleep over it.

• Haha 1

IF, and I do mean IF Harsin has a good season this year, it wouldn't surprise me at all if Nebraska came calling that he would bolt to huskerville in a heartbeat, because I don't think that Frosty is going to make it through the whole season this year. Jeff Grimes would be a good replacement. Someone who could recruit down south and coach also. Would surround himself with good assistants that could also recruit(Especially OLinemen).

• Facepalm 1

23 minutes ago, bigbird said:

He has said, he came here because this is one of the places that can compete yearly for championships.  That's what he wants above all else.  I don't see him bailing like some think for schools like ASU or UDub.

He definitely would be one of, if not, the first call for me.  It would've been Beamer or Elliott but those ships sailed last year. Best case though is to allow CBH to see his vision through.

Wait... We can trade hars for grimes? Sign me up. 

• Like 1