Waiting game with status of center Nick Brahms

aubiefifty

Auburn still playing waiting game with status of starting center Nick Brahms

Published: Aug. 26, 2022, 11:03 a.m.
4-5 minutes

Tony Fair Auburn scrimmage

Auburn center Nick Brahms (52) tries to block defensive tackle Tony Fair in practice Friday, Aug. 20, 2021, during the team's second fall scrimmage. (Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics)Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn is still in wait-and-see mode when it comes to senior offensive lineman Nick Brahms.

Brahms has been sidelined for much of the preseason while dealing with an undisclosed injury, leaving his availability for the start of the season in question. The uncertainty surrounding Brahms’ status appears as though it will continue into game week, with Auburn’s season opener against Mercer now just eight days away.

“Right now, we got to find out where he’s at, because there’s still some things he’s working through at this point,” Auburn coach Bryan Harsin said Thursday evening during his weekly radio show.

Read more Auburn football: Final projections for Auburn’s Week 1 depth chart

The latest on Auburn’s QB battle, Zach Calzada’s progress after injury

Oscar Chapman hopes “brutal” journey leads to Ray Guy Award

Brahms, it should be noted, underwent a knee procedure in December that kept him out of the Birmingham Bowl and limited him during spring practices. He was full-go for the start of fall camp, working with the first-team offense earlier this month before being sidelined the last couple of weeks.

A sixth-year senior, Brahms opted to return to Auburn and take advantage of the NCAA’s free year of eligibility made available to student-athletes during the pandemic. The 6-foot-4, 300-pounder has started 33 games at Auburn over the last four seasons, including 28 consecutive starts at center spanning the second half of the 2019 campaign and culminating with last season’s Iron Bowl.

“Nick’s a guy, he chose to come back, and he’s experienced, he’s tough, he’s wanting to be successful on the football field one more time,” Harsin said. “And we’ll see…. We’ll find out what it looks like with his career moving forward.”

Though Brahms has been unable to practice of late, Harsin said the veteran lineman has remained engaged with the team and has been a helpful resource for the rest of Auburn’s offensive line. That includes the group of players receiving work at center in his place.

The top option at this point appears to be junior Tate Johnson, who has received the bulk of the first-team reps at center over the last couple of weeks. Johnson lacks experience, having appeared in just one game as a reserve during his time at Auburn, but has made tremendous strides throughout the offseason. The 6-foot-4, 285-pounder has stepped in and acclimated himself well, earning the trust of his fellow linemen in the process.

“Tate’s gotten quite a few reps in there, and I think he’s done a real good job,” Harsin said. “I feel good about what he looks like and kind of how he’s operating at that position.”

Seventh-year senior Brandon Council has also rotated in at center. Council, who has been competing with Kam Stutts for the starting job at left guard, offers prior starting experience at center. He made two starts at that spot during the 2019 season, when he was at Akron. Avery Jernigan and Jalil Irvin are Auburn’s other options at center. Irvin has been Brahms’ primary backup the last two seasons and started the Birmingham Bowl in Brahms’ place, but he has also seen time at right guard this preseason.

Harsin said Auburn’s staff will solidify what things look like with the offensive line over the weekend and make a decision on the best lineup next week — even if there isn’t clarity with Brahms’ status by then.

“I think the O-line has done a very good job, and we’ve got some guys that are veteran players, and I like what I’ve seen from them,” Harsin said. “Coach (Will) Friend has done a really good job of emphasizing a lot of the run game this fall camp, and I think the guys have responded to that…. I think just another year in the system, another year of experience with those guys and then really understanding what we’re trying to accomplish and showed up.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Thanks 1