Rejoice! Biden is canceling up to $10K in student loans, $20K for Pell Grant recipients for borrowers making less than $125k/year

Didba

55 minutes ago, CoffeeTiger said:

For someone who advocates for 'Medicare for all'  you sure do use a lot of the same arguments and reasoning against student loan forgiveness that people use against M4A. 

That made absolutely no sense. I want the benefits for all. How does a targeted payout to a few mirror that in anyway?

• Facepalm 1

58 minutes ago, Didba said:

Yup, I’m gladly taking $10k off my $170k so I can buy a house and start a family in 9 years instead of 10. 

we are waiting until the loans are paid off to have kids. Financially the smart decision. I am 26 now, in ten years I’ll be 36.

If taking the $10k means my wife and I can start a family at 35 instead of 36/37, you bet your ass I’m gonna take it. 

You wear that white privilege so well. What about those of us getting no help who had to wait or struggle because we paid off our debts and our kids debts rather than screw the middle class?  We obviously do not count to you and your social status.  

• Sad 1

How does making it on your own become a bad thing? How does not paying the debt you borrowed look like a good thing? How does throwing money at a problem, fixing nothing and screwing the middle class look like a good idea?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

You wear that white privilege so well. What about those of us getting no help who had to wait or struggle because we paid off our debts and our kids debts rather than screw the middle class?  We obviously do not count to you and your social status.  

What year did your kids graduate?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, AUDub said:

What year did your kids graduate?

2012 and 2022, But he will do grad school too and we will pay for it...unless his employer will.

THIS is why i do not get upset about a tax break when it comes to the poor. the rich have been getting richer off the backs of the poor and middle class it seems like forever. both sides. our sweat and our blood and our health. now if the game is played right and the poor get a decent wage and health care i am ok with it but i believe the game is rigged and i am never for abusing poor folks so the rich can get richer and rob more from this country they claim is so great. and no i am not a dirty commie tho i have a lot of hippy in me i just want my country to want everyone to make it. all i see are low wages, homeless folks everywhere, and people struggling. if you are poor and do not pay taxes you are criminal but somehow if you are rich few bitch because it is ok for certain people to game the system in this country. and i firmly believe if anyone has to pay taxes then everyone should. it is a bunch of bull................

301832937_5772138589504520_241907219073760646_n.jpg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

301832937_5772138589504520_241907219073760646_n.jpg

If they applied it evenly and to those that have already paid off their loans, THAT would be great.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

38 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Never said that some didn’t receive them. Most of the money went to wealthier upper middle class kids tho. 

Roger that, some of your earlier comments seemed to imply that no one in the middle class got them.  Apologies.

38 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Why bring race into this or anything you just said in this statement? Not really sure what you are getting at here.  Like are you implying I am not from a middle class family?

Also, this isn't responsive in any way to my statement.

Edited by Didba

1 minute ago, Didba said:

Roger that, some of your earlier comments seemed to imply that no one in the middle class got them.  Apologies.

I could and should have been more clear.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

If they applied it evenly and to those that have already paid off their loans, THAT would be great.

i am not saying you are wrong. and even tho i have yet to meet anyone hurting from a student loan i see how it could be a blessing for others. hell we now keep the mentally ill in jail or or they wind up in homeless camps. i just found out there are roughly 29 homeless camps around savannah jawja. the greater anniston area has several. if i knew how to keep from getting all my stuff stolen or murdered in my sleep by some meth head i would add a couple of folks to my home but to be honest i am afraid to.

1 minute ago, aubiefifty said:

i am not saying you are wrong. and even tho i have yet to meet anyone hurting from a student loan i see how it could be a blessing for others. hell we now keep the mentally ill in jail or or they wind up in homeless camps. i just found out there are roughly 29 homeless camps around savannah jawja. the greater anniston area has several. if i knew how to keep from getting all my stuff stolen or murdered in my sleep by some meth head i would add a couple of folks to my home but to be honest i am afraid to.

So look at it this way, I cannot buy a house or have kids with my wife until we pay off my loans.  With the $10k reduction we get my loans paid off at 35 instead of 36/37.  We will be able to buy a house and start a family at 35, without the 10K we would likely be 37 when we had kids.  Those two years don't seem like a big difference but for any of you with kids, y'all know 37 is late as hell. Shieeeeet, 35 is late as hell too.

and we are more fortunate than others in that I grinded hard through undergrad and law school to get a well paying job as an attorney so I could pay my loans off as fast as feasibly as possible. Others with engineering degrees, etc, that don't start at such a high salary have to choose repayment plans that are 15-30 years.

Further, even if you go bankrupt student loans still follow you through bankruptcy. They are extremely oppressive. The system needs reform but until that happens those of us with loans will take any help we can get.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

Brother, i am just making the point that some on here ARE SO into kissing party ass that even when the fools in DC obviously screw up, they cannot and will not ever admit it. This didnt do one thing to FIX THE PROBLEM, it did nothing but buy votes and that was all it was supposed to do. PERIOD.  

Reagan used to tell a joke about the DNC: "The hallmark of a DNC idea is that it will cost a lot of money, do nothing to help the problem, and will often make the problem worse. The other guys are never so happy as when they throw money at a problem and not solve anything. That leaves them with yet another chance to throw money at the same problem, again, not wanting it fixed in the first place."

9 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I could and should have been more clear.

All good, I do it too, we get in here, trying to type out our thoughts as fast as possible sometimes things get lost along the way.

2 minutes ago, Didba said:

So look at it this way, I cannot buy a house or have kids with my wife until we pay off my loans.  With the $10k reduction we get my loans paid off at 35 instead of 36/37.  We will be able to buy a house and start a family at 35, without the 10K we would likely be 37 when we had kids.  Those two years don't seem like a big difference but for any of you with kids, y'all know 37 is late as hell. Shieeeeet, 35 is late as hell too.

and we are more fortunate than others in that I grinded hard through undergrad and law school to get a well paying job as an attorney so I could pay my loans off as fast as feasibly as possible. Others with engineering degrees, etc, that don't start at such a high salary have to choose repayment plans that are 15-30 years.

Further, even if you go bankrupt student loans still follow you through bankruptcy. They are extremely oppressive. The system needs reform but until that happens those of us with loans will take any help we can get.

We all see that and it happens for us all. This did nothing to fix any of that. It was simply buying votes. Nothing is getting fixed here.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

Brother, i am just making the point that some on here ARE SO into kissing party ass that even when the fools in DC obviously screw up, they cannot and will not ever admit it. This didnt do one thing to FIX THE PROBLEM, it did nothing but buy votes and that was all it was supposed to do. PERIOD.  

Reagan used to tell a joke about the DNC: "The hallmark of a DNC idea is that it will cost a lot of money, do nothing to help the problem, and will often make the problem worse. The other guys are never so happy as when they throw money at a problem and not solve anything. That leaves them with yet another chance to throw money at the same problem, again, not wanting it fixed in the first place."

if it helps with a child getting a fuller belly or going to sleep at night a little more comfy or paying bills off earlier to have a family earlier i am all for it. and everyone keeps saying it is a political move but biden talked about doing this way before he was elected. he had to get through covid and he has a mess he is dealing with. he was not sneaky about this in that he said he would do it. i do think if he did do it right before elections is this not what all pols do?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

to be fair many did not want biden to do that so he compromised. i just wish he would get the irs in gear so i can get my refund.

6 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

We all see that and it happens for us all. This did nothing to fix any of that. It was simply buying votes. Nothing is getting fixed here.

It might sound genuine if you were arguing more for the real solution than,,, complaining about not being one of those receiving some immediate relief.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

It might sound genuine if you were arguing more for the real solution than,,, complaining about not being one of those receiving some immediate relief.

Then read the board more. I have said REPEATEDLY that M4A, Tuition Reform, Minimum Wage Increase was what I supported. I havent changed a bit.

This did nothing to Reform nor solve the High Tuition problem. It was, as is now the norm for the Biden Adm, badly implemented. It solved nothing. It transferred the debts of some almost assuredly n'ér do wells get paid by those that didnt sign up for the loans in the first place. This did absolutely nothing to fix "High Tuition Costs" in any way. it did NOTHING AT ALL TO FIX THAT PROBLEM. 

It is taking money from the taxpayers that worked their asses off and did it right. That worked hard as hell to payoff their loans or scrimped and saved to not have to borrow. This is a Big FU to people like my family that played by the rules and still got ****** over. The very idea that you cant see what is plainly obvious just makes me wonder about the number of true party morons we have here. 

Republican Party: Never gonna even try to help those in college under any circumstance.

Democrat Party: Create junk legislation, that wastes $100BNs, accomplishes nothing, and declare victory over nothing but screwing the Americans that play by the rules. 

• Dislike 1

How is this any different than the billions of taxpayer money that was budgeted to the DoD by Congress that Trump re-appropriated in an attempt to build his border wall?

At least these forgiveness funds are going to help Americans.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 11:03 AM, DKW 86 said:

2012 and 2022, But he will do grad school too and we will pay for it...unless his employer will.

You helped pay? 

8 hours ago, AUDub said:

You helped pay? 

He paid for the majority of his tuition, like 95+% of it by working his ass off in the classroom. His mom and I are paying the majority of the room and board and life's costs. He will graduate debt free. He works during the down time as well. Between the three of us, we got it covered. We have had to borrow to help us get thru a job transition. After 3 years, about $20K. But we have already paid off a chunk of it and will payoff the rest if necessary, with money we have saved. I will not allow either of my kids graduate owing a penny. We have sacrificed vacations, cars, etc. Our NEW car is 10 years old. My old car was a 32 year old Honda. We havent taken a real vacation in years putting money for this time. We will party like everything once he has a BS and likely a MS too. 

THEN we do the lifetime trips etc.

Edited by DKW 86

46 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

May be an image of text that says 'Medical bills should be forgiven before student loans You can't change y mind'

Why not both?

6 hours ago, Didba said:

Why not both?

Because medical bills happen to you. Education bills are because of decisions you make or didnt make. The debts are okay, you are given a way to finance your education. Then pay for it like you AGREED to do. Act like an adult. No one owes you paid of debts you signed up for. NO ONE. You should have a very nice career. So pay your debts.

The problem is still over inflated tuition costs. If you want to legislate lower tuition costs that would be great. So far, no one has really even put thought into that. A few here have at least mentioned that. We need to look at subsidizing the costs more and to lower the threshold of cost. The problem is the cost, not the debt. The debt is a symptom. Not saving the cash, not managing your money right. You lower the costs for everyone and you lower the debt for everyone. 

I swear its like people only see THEIR side in this. Those that paid their own way, ROTC, Academic Schollies, Athletic Schollies and yes paid off debt are doing this right. building up a bunch of debt and praying that the taxpayers pay off your poor decisions is a pretty crappy way of acting like an adult.

Society benefits from college graduates. Society also benefits when people play by the rules and make better decisions. 

Edited by DKW 86