Standout quotes from each assistant.

aubiefifty

Auburn's second preseason camp under Bryan Harsin officially wrapped up Sunday, and the Tigers are now making final preparations with their lineups and position pecking orders before beginning game prep for the season opener against Mercer on Sept. 3.

Reporters got the chance to chat with all 10 Auburn assistant coaches during preseason camp — including two separate sessions with the coordinators — about camp standouts, transfers and freshmen, the quarterback battle, offensive-line shuffling and more.

Here are two standout quotes from each assistant.

ERIC KIESAU: TRANSFERS 'HIT HOME' FOR FINLEY

Auburn synthesized a deep quarterback battle in the offseason, bringing in a pair of transfers to compete with the incumbent T.J. Finley. Offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau provided an anecdote that Finley was at first "upset" by the additions, but ultimately used them as motivation and "embraced it."

"The funny thing was when we started practicing, and then we put another quarterback with the first team — that got him," Kiesau said. "Because that hit home. It was like, 'Oh, I'm not taking these reps. I'm not with the 1s. This guy is going to get a chance.' So I think what that did, though, was he was a little upset at first. We kind of had to talk through it a little bit. Once he got through that, and he understood it's all about competition and being the best guy on the field that's going to make all of us better, he embraced it. It was a lot better. Initial shock at first, but then he got better through it."

ERIC KIESAU: RECEIVERS COULD BE 'SNEAKY' GOOD

Other than fifth-year senior Shedrick Jackson, it's anyone's guess what Auburn's starting receiver group will look like. Some first-year Tigers, like Camden Brown and Koy Moore, have made an impact in fall camp, and Kiesau thinks, with the right game-planning heading into the season, it could gel into a surprisingly effective group.

"There’s some young faces and some older faces, and kind of blending those guys together," Kiesau said. "I think some of the new guys are really taking the initiative to — not just be the new guy and fit in, but to make plays, and they’re getting more comfortable in the system. So, I’m excited about that group moving forward. It could be kind of a sneaky group where nobody really knows they’re there, and then they’ll sneak up on you.”

JEFF SCHMEDDING: A HEATED BATTLE AT SAFETY

Opposite Zion Puckett, Auburn's second safety spot — which replaces four-year contributor Smoke Monday — was up for the taking in camp. Athletic redshirt freshman Cayden Bridges and Iowa State transfer Craig McDonald seemed to emerge as the top candidates, but it was a competition defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding said was capable of changing by the day — and that's a good thing for the Tigers.

"There's a different vibe about how they're attacking each rep, going after the ball," Schmedding said. "And when you add competition — I mean, you have a bad day, there's another guy that could take that spot. And really, I think they've done a great job of helping each other out yet competing on the field. And that's really what you want."

JEFF SCHMEDDING: LOOKING UP TO PAPPOE

As Auburn prepares to hand bigger roles to linebackers Cam Riley and Wesley Steiner this season, the staff can take comfort in knowing the room is led by a senior and former team captain in Owen Pappoe. Everyone in the room looks up to the former five-star, and followed his lead throughout preseason camp.

"There's not a whole lot of guys at this level who understand how to prepare like Owen Pappoe does, you know?" Schmedding said. "He's a great teammate, so that room gets closer when they see a guy like that prepare: 'Hey, if you want to play, you want to do what he's doing.'"

CADILLAC WILLIAMS: KNOWS SOMETHING ABOUT COMPETITION

If there's one thing former Auburn running back and current position coach Cadillac Williams knows, it's competition. He worked in a crowded tailbacks room during his time on the Plains, and still emerged as an All-SEC standout and top-5 NFL draft pick. For players like Damari Alston, a freshman in the room, Williams encourages him not to back down — because everyone will eventually get their shot.

"I bring guys in here and tell them, 'Don’t let Tank Bigsby or Jarquez Hunter, don’t let those guys intimidate you,'" Williams said. "Come in and compete with those guys because I was once in a room with Ronnie Brown, Brandon Jacobs, Tre Smith. Man, I know you’re going to have your up and down days but you’re going to be better because of it. That’s kind of the tone, starting with Coach Harsin, he’s setting for this whole team, this whole program. Bringing in guys here that want to compete and play in the best conference in the country and go against the big boys — the Georgias and Alabamas of the world."

CADILLAC WILLIAMS: BIGSBY'S NEXT STEP

It was a common thread throughout conversations with Auburn's offensive staff in the offseason, but Bigsby seems to have found another gear in terms of his preparation habits and practice tendencies. His talent has been overwhelmingly apparent through two seasons, but Williams knows it's the "small things" that truly hold the key to his next steps as a running back.

"Sometimes guys are so talented and the good Lord blessed you — which he didn’t deserve, myself or other people didn’t deserve anything to get that talent," Williams said. "You were blessed with that. With that said, the things that are going to sustain you for you to reach that full potential, the details, the small things — a lot of times really talented players neglect those things — and I just think with him, with maturity, he’s gotten better with that. He’s conscious of that. He’s focused on that. He takes care of his body. He thinks like a pro now. He studies. He does all that. Not saying that he wasn’t doing all those things, but the kid is still a young kid. He’s still 19 years old."

IKE HILLIARD: FRESHMAN 'HAS A CHANCE' IN WR ROOM

Arguably the most talked-up offensive player in preseason camp was Brown, a freshman wideout from Florida who routinely displayed his athleticism and high-pointing ability down the field. At 6-foot-3, he gives the Tigers a different type of weapon out wide that they didn't have last season, and it didn't take him long to begin working with the first-teamers.

"He's got a chance, man; he's got a real chance," position coach Ike Hilliard said. "Cam is another young, large human at that position. They normally don't — they don't come that way. So his frame is something that's going to be welcomed here. We're going to try and maximize his playmaking ability. And it's just a big thing about whether you're young or old — when your number is called and you have an opportunity, people want to see you show up more times than others. And he's just done that: He's taken advantage of that opportunity. He's made more plays than he hasn't. And that's encouraging from younger players."

HILLIARD BULLISH ON RECEIVERS' POTENTIAL

Coaching his first year at the college level after a long stint in the NFL, Hilliard was refreshingly transparent about his feelings toward his room for this season. The former Florida Gators standout is bullish on not only the potential of the room, but he's also confident in his own coaching abilities. Now it's about whether his players can work up to the standard he knows they're capable of.

"I still like me against anybody at 46 years old," Hilliard said. "... The idea is just to change the narrative in the room. And those kids, their games are plenty good enough. And if they don't believe that, shame on them. I can't want it more than they do. We have to find a way to make sure that, on a daily basis, that they believe that."

BRAD BEDELL: YEAR 2 DEVELOPMENT FOR TIGHT ENDS

Auburn's tight ends flew under the radar during fall camp, and they like it that way. Their consistency and experience allows them to be a given for the Tigers in terms of offensive production and effectiveness in practice — and position coach Brad Bedell said it can't be overstated how important the jump from Year 1 to Year 2, considering it's almost an indentical room to 2021.

“It’s huge just for them to learn the game and understand how I coach the game and the techniques I coach and things like that," Bedell said. "... The one thing about going into the second year is that you can challenge them in a different way as an older group and finding the small things. You can say, ‘You’ve got to get better at X,Y and Z’ rather than ‘we’re going to start with this.’ We’re moving on. Now we’re changing some things with techniques and things like that, things that can take these guys to the next level.”

BRAD BEDELL: DEAL 'SURPRISES SOME PEOPLE'

Sixth-year senior John Samuel Shenker is unquestionably the top option at tight end, but redshirt junior Luke Deal was credited with having a strong preseason, and he was a fixture with the first-team offense for the past couple weeks. Bedell said sometimes he feels Deal is underestimated by defenders, then he overpowers them with his blocking or pass catching.

"He kind of surprises some people — he really does," Bedell said. "I wouldn’t say he’s the fastest guy in the world, but he surprises a lot of people. I like it that way.”

WILL FRIEND: A HEALTHIER RIGHT TACKLE

Austin Troxell, another sixth-year senior, dealt with two separate knee injuries earlier in his Auburn career. But he's been clean for the past couple seasons, and now in his swan-song season, his coaches and teammates have agreed that he looks stronger than ever — both in terms of his health and his leadership in the room.

"Trox is moving the best that he's moved and since I've been here," Will Friend said. "I think he feels a little bit more comfortable right now. You know, he can play both sides, which is a plus. But he's moving well. We've just got to keep working him on little fundamental things and just getting better. But the thing about Trox that you really like is he's like dealing with an adult, you know? I mean, he's kind of like the old man of the room, so he comes to work every day. And he's worked hard to get himself in good shape and be able to move better than he did a year ago."

WILL FRIEND: SHORT-YARDAGE STRUGGLES

Last season, Auburn ranked dead last in the SEC in Power Success Rate, per Football Outsiders, converting only 60% of its third- and fourth-down rushing attempts from 2 yards or closer. And improving upon those short-yardage shortcomings goes beyond the weight room, according to Friend.

“There's a physical part about it — but whenever you get short yardage and goal line, concentration, focus and knowledge show up because the margin for error is so small because the defense is closer,” Friend said. “Usually, it's when it's the loudest in the stadium and those types of things. So that's one of the things that we've got to be better at in those situations, is the focus and understanding the plan and how to execute it.”

JIMMY BRUMBAUGH: A PACKAGE DEAL

First-year Auburn defensive line coach — and a former Tigers D-lineman himself — Jimmy Brumbaugh spent last season as an analyst on Oregon's staff — following a stint as Tennessee's defensive line coach. With the Ducks, he helped coach Jayson Jones, a monstrous athlete at 6-foot-6 and 328 pounds who ended up transferring to Auburn.

“Really different," Brumbaugh said of coaching Jones now compared to last season at Oregon. "He’s a guy that didn’t play much last year, but he had a skill set that you knew he had a chance. Once I identify a problem he’s going to go try to fix it. That’s the best quality that he has."

JIMMY BRUMBAUGH: WOODEN SETS THE TONE

Auburn's best NFL prospect might be redshirt junior defensive lineman Colby Wooden, who was one of the SEC's most efficient players at his position last year. As Wooden eyes a big 2022 to parlay into a high draft choice, Brumbaugh said Wooden's lead-by-example quality is extremely helpful as he coaches up younger players in the room.

“He’s had a lot of reps in the SEC — anytime you have that, those guys are going to listen to him," Brumbaugh said. "That has been helpful having a guy like that to be able to show what it’s like to play in this league.”

ROC BELLANTONI: 'THE CHALLENGE' OF 2 STRONG PASS-RUSHERS

Auburn could quietly have one of the better pass-rushing duos in the conference, with Derick Hall and Eku Leota set to lead the edge rushers group after combining for 16 sacks last season. Position coach Roc Bellantoni admitted it's sometimes difficult to focus on improvement with those two, since they're such experienced and effective players, but it's something necessary in order to ensure big 2022 seasons for them.

"That's the challenge with those two guys," Bellantoni said. "They're such good players that you have to find ways to get them to improve. The bust for the Hall of Fame is not polished yet. We're always looking for things they need to get better at. Whether it's pad level with one, array of pass rush moves with the other one. Really kind of all groups together. You're constantly looking for little things they can do better. The big things, they're pretty good at, but maybe it's the first step. Maybe it's the angle of their toe on their pass rush. Maybe it's where they're striking with their hands. Just little things like that. The big picture things, they're really good at."

ROC BELLANTONI: 'A REAL LEADER' ON SPECIAL TEAMS

In addition to his duties with the outside linebackers, Bellantoni also took over as Auburn's special teams coordinator in the offseason. One of the most valuable players for his special teams units is defensive back Donovan Kaufman, who returned kicks, punts and recovered several onside kicks on the hands team during fall camp.

"Whatever we ask him to do, he excels at," Bellantoni said. "He's just a really good football player. And it's because of his work ethic. He's up in the staff room. When we're not meeting, he's in there watching film. A real student of the game, and he's a real leader of our guys."

CHRISTIAN ROBINSON: STRIKING SIZE FOR JUNIOR LB

Riley, who figures to be the starter at linebacker alongside Pappoe, is one of the biggest defensive players beyond the front four that Auburn's had in recent memory. He's grown from a 6-foot-3, 200-pound edge rusher out of high school to a 6-foot-5, 230-pound monster of an athlete for the second level of the Tigers' defense. One of the biggest focuses for Riley's offseason was making sure he's able to control that size.

"If you're going to have that length, you've got to have the girth to be able to hold," first-year linebackers coach Christian Robinson said. "Especially being taller, you've got to bend more. So that's something we've worked on with him. ... Cam, I just walked in there, I said, 'You have the frame to be a great player and now we've just got to give you the confidence and the tools.' And he really bought in this summer with (strength coach Jeff Pitman) and his staff, did an awesome job just staying focused with him, and that's what we wanted."

CHRISTIAN ROBINSON: PROMISING GROWTH FOR TRANSFER

North Carolina linebacker transfer Eugene Asante missed approximately a week of spring practice after the passing of his father, and his coaches admitted that was a sizable setback for a transfer player. But Auburn has been pleased with his continued development, and it seems Asante has an opportunity to contribute in the rotation this fall.

"I love Eugene," Robinson said. "He had a hard spring. A lot of things going on in his life. I was very proud of him focusing on the fundamentals, because anytime you get a new coach, new words, new ways of seeing things, new belief system. And he's just eager to be a part of it in every way. Where there was confusion early on — just not knowing, not having the reps — I've seen him grow and really take coaching. And that's all I wanted."

ZAC ETHERIDGE: ADDED NFL EXPERIENCE

Secondary coach Zac Etheridge, who was promoted after manning just the cornerbacks last season, spent part of his July with the Los Angeles Chargers as part of an NFL fellowship program. Any added professional experience is obviously a plus for a college program, and Etheridge said he's been able to apply some of the practice habits he observed with the entire team.

“I’m forever grateful for the opportunity because a lot of people don’t get that," Etheridge said. "I was blessed enough to go out there and spend a week with their staff. I learned a lot that I was able to bring back to Coach Harsin, bring back to Coach Schmed. We’ve been able to implement some things that we think will help us.”

ZAC ETHERIDGE: LAST-MINUTE 'BALLER' JOINS THE SECONDARY

No. 1 JUCO cornerback Keionte Scott was the latest arrival in Auburn's 2022 class, reporting to campus just days before the start of fall camp. But that didn't appear to be a hindrance for the California native, who quickly settled into the secondary rotation. And considering his rotational reps with the first team at nickel, and the general consensus of his playmaking ability throughout camp, it wouldn't be a surprise if he contributed right away.

"Baller," Etheridge said. "I mean baller, man. That’s the only way you can explain it. He’s very instinctual in what he does. He just loves football. He plays the game the way it’s supposed to be played. He’s smart. He understands leverage. But I’ve really been impressed with him making the time and sacrifice to come in early in the morning to hear the install twice to try to make sure. Not only that, he walked in Day 1, Day 2, and he gained the respect from the guys in the room."

*** Subscribe to Auburn Undercover for the latest news and intel, podcasts, recruiting coverage and more ***

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2