coach fiddy here

aubiefifty

i think we need to get our receivers working with some Auburn basketball players doing rebounding sessions. would this not help our receivers on snatching that ball out of a crowd? i thought that one up all by myself. bird would it work? i am sure there might be some worry about injuries but i cannot see how much more than getting hit so hard on the fotball you forget your moms name.

• Like 1

Not bird, but as a former wide receiver, I'm not sure that kind of drill would help much at this point. Now, if the receiver is maybe a former high school basketball player, and he's doing that kind of thing in the offseason, then absolutely it could help. But now? No, now they need to be running routes with the quarterbacks, working on timing issues. I would think that if you want them to get practice going up for the ball, then you'd just do a fly drill with two defenders on a receiver who runs a fly pattern and has the ball aired out for him to go up and get. That way he has to work on judging the trajectory of the ball and where it's going to come down, he has to fight through defenders to make the catch, and he has to catch a ball with the kind of momentum that comes with a spiral thrown 40 yards as opposed to catching a round basketball that's just floating above/around the rim.

But, then again, I've never been a coach, so I don't know if any of that would work or not. It just seems more logical to me.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rednilla said:

Not bird, but as a former wide receiver, I'm not sure that kind of drill would help much at this point. Now, if the receiver is maybe a former high school basketball player, and he's doing that kind of thing in the offseason, then absolutely it could help. But now? No, now they need to be running routes with the quarterbacks, working on timing issues. I would think that if you want them to get practice going up for the ball, then you'd just do a fly drill with two defenders on a receiver who runs a fly pattern and has the ball aired out for him to go up and get. That way he has to work on judging the trajectory of the ball and where it's going to come down, he has to fight through defenders to make the catch, and he has to catch a ball with the kind of momentum that comes with a spiral thrown 40 yards as opposed to catching a round basketball that's just floating above/around the rim.

But, then again, I've never been a coach, so I don't know if any of that would work or not. It just seems more logical to me.

Every drill helps a WR. That's what we do is drill, drill, drill, and catch, catch, catch.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AUwartigerAU said:

Every drill helps a WR. That's what we do is drill, drill, drill, and catch, catch, catch.  

Right, but how much would doing drills of basketball rebounding do for them? That was the initial question.