Questions for Harsin before Auburn’s scrimmage

aubiefifty

Questions for Bryan Harsin before Auburn’s scrimmage

Updated: Aug. 12, 2022, 6:10 p.m.|Published: Aug. 12, 2022, 6:09 p.m.
4-5 minutes

Harsin

Coach Bryan Harsin get lemonaid on the course Wednesday. Regions Pro-Am Golf on Wednesday, May 11, 2022 in Birmingham, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn is preparing for a scrimmage on Saturday at Jordan-Hare with the September 3rd season-opener at home against Mercer.

Bryan Harsin will lead his group through simulated football designed to mimic an actual game’s action. Scrimmages allow for tackling, which for Tiger defenders means trying to corral star running back Tank Bigsby in the open field.

“I’m glad we’ve got a back like Tank to help me out going into each week in the SEC. To me, he’s the best back in the country right now,” Auburn linebacker Cam Riley said. “Being able to go against Tank every day helps me out -- in the future, games down the road and things like that He’s a very powerful speed back; he’s got all the attributes you wish a back would have. He’s very powerful and has very good cuts. He can run routes out of the backfield. He’s very good at what he does.”

Read more Auburn Football: Late-arriving JUCO cornerback Keionte Scott hasn’t missed a beat at Auburn

Auburn to hold another open practice for fans ahead of season opener

Auburn football lands 7th 2023 recruit with in-state cornerback JC Hart

Bigsby is one of the surest things for Harsin as this season approaches. However, a lot will be determined for the coaching staff over the next few weeks. Let’s examine where things are for the Tigers.

1. Harsin isn’t ready to name a starting quarterback, at least publicly. However, Harsin did say the reps wouldn’t continue to split evenly between T.J. Finley, Zac Calzada, Robby Ashford, and Holden Geriner. Each QB has made some good throws and a few errant ones during the media viewing sessions this week. Has either QB shown a bit of separation? Perhaps this scrimmage will offer a bit of illumination.

2. How’s the offensive line? Auburn brings back lots of experience on the offensive line. The Tigers want to win by establishing the run, which means the offensive line must dominate.

“They’re a lot stronger. The O-line is stronger; they’re bigger and moving better. I think Coach Friend has done a really good job—and I do want to brag on Coach Friend because he’s had a tough job with when we came in here, that was the narrative, the offensive line, trying to bring some guys. In and guys come back.”

3. Who will step up at receiver? Whoever wins the starting QB role will need some reliable people to throw the ball to consistently. Will Koy Moore become a deep threat? Can Shedrick Jackson lead a mostly young group of wideouts?

“I see him out there catching — 9 o’clock in the facility at night, catching balls by himself, doing drills, running routes with Zach Calzada. Just seeing him out there — if you guys can be around someone and they’re working, if you’re a competitor and you see a media guy get more attention, get more stories and stuff, what are you going to say? You’re going to be like, ‘Oh, I need to be on my game.’ That’s how it is on the team right now,” Bigsby on Moore’s work ethic. “When one guy sees someone working, they’re fixing to go work. That’s where I feel like we’ve worked so hard to get to this point.”

4. Is Dylan Brooks ready to claim a spot as an Edge rusher? Derick Hall and Eku Leota are a dynamic duo at an imperative position for the Tigers. However, they can’t stay on the field for every play attempting to sack quarterbacks. Brooks is immensely talented and has been working hard during fall camp. If he’s able to get on the level of an elite pass rusher, it’ll positively impact the Tigers.

“He’s had some really good pass rush moves that he’s had. He’s learned the system a little bit more. He’s got to get his pad level down,” assistant coach Roc Bellantoni said. Got to gethis weight up, got to get a little more physical, but he still is young, behind the years. But he’s come on the last few days, so I’m happy with the direction he’s going.”

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

Any information from today's scrimmage? 

It’s tonight sometime 

• Like 1