offensive line going to be 'pretty damn good'

aubiefifty

“I got better last year, and I think I am going to be a lot better this season with it being my second year in the system,” Jones said. “I have really kind of come into my own and I am really taking care of my body, which I wasn’t doing in the past. I am trying to focus on doing the little things right.”

When practice starts in preparation for the Sept. 3 home opener against Mercer the Tigers will be in good shape physically and mentally, according to Jones.

“Everybody has been working from the top to the bottom,” he said. “The freshmen have been working, the seniors have been working. That is a good thing to see. At times you have seen some guys kind of shying away from it, but this summer everybody has bought in.  It is going to show once we hit the field. I am really excited to see it.”

Jones made his first college start in a victory over Arkansas in 2020. He goes into the 2022 schedule with 19 starts. He says he has teammates capable of taking his job if he doesn’t perform well and that is how he wants it. Jones added that he is eager to prove to his position coach, Will Friend, he is the right msn to get the job done.

“There is competition everywhere,” Jones said. “That is what Coach Harsin brings ,so you never feel safe. I don’t feel safe at my position. I have to work my butt off in the next couple of weeks to feel secure and even if I am named the starting guy I am still not safe for the rest of the season.

“I have got people behind me like Kam (Kameron Stutts), (Brandon) Council, Tate Johnson and A.J. (Alec Jackson),” Jones pointed out. “Those other guards are pretty damn good themselves. That is what I love about Coach Harsin and Coach Friend. They have made us so much better to the point where I can’t get comfortable. Going into the season, I can’t have a bad practice or a bad game. I like that, though, because I don’t want to get comfortable. I like to feel like if I mess up I can go out. I like feeling like somebody is on my tail.”

If Jones is correct, the offense as a whole will be better because the line is improved.

"It is going to fall on our shoulders,” Jones said. “Whoever plays quarterback, whoever plays receiver, we have guys – plenty of guys. We have plenty of talented guys. We have two of the best running backs in the country in my opinion. Whoever the quarterback is is going to be is going to be a great guy and we have plenty of receivers around him. We can do what we need to do to protect the passer and move people off the ball. We want to play hard and dominate people all year.”

Jones breaking into the starting lineup as a redshirt sophomore was not a big surprise. He was a Georgia All-State performer and an Under Armour All-American at Callaway High School, where he played with Auburn’s leading returner at running back, Tank Bigsby. Both will likely have a chance to play on Sundays after their college days are done. Jones, who has earned academic All-SEC status, is on schedule to graduate in December with a degree in fitness, training and performance. When he is through competing in football, he plans to be a coach or a trainer.

“Graduating is one of the big things I promised my mom when I came here, and it is exciting,” Jones said. “It is something I am excited about, too. She is going to be a little crybaby when that time comes.”

45COMMENTS

Jones and his teammates are hoping to give fans of opposing teams reasons to shed a few tears, but not ones of joy.

“When teams come here or when the Auburn Tigers come to your house, we are not coming in to lie down,” he said. “No matter what your ranking is when you come to our house you are going to be in for a fight, and if we come to your house you are going to be in for a fight. I am not worried about that.”

Comments (45)

">247Sports

• WarTiger changed the title to offensive line going to be 'pretty damn good'