Lester senior spotlight: 'A dream come true'

aubiefifty

Barton Lester senior spotlight: 'A dream come true'

Auburn University Athletics
8-10 minutes

AUBURN, Ala. – Senior linebacker Barton Lester doesn’t mince words in describing his alma mater and its place in his heart.

“I love Auburn – always have, always will,” he said. “There’s something really special about Auburn and something special about being part of it.”

After he transferred to Auburn from the Air Force Academy in 2019 and sat out his first season, Tiger fans didn’t know what to expect from Lester and what impact he would have.

Three seasons later, fans know very well the contributions this defender and special teams standout has made on their favorite team, scoring a touchdown recovering a blocked Arkansas punt in 2020 and following up with a blocked punt against Alabama State and a recovery of a blocked Georgia State punt for another touchdown last season.

Being from Montgomery, where he played football, baseball and basketball at Montgomery Academy, Lester has been an Auburn fan his whole life. He attended games growing up with his father and grandfather, both Auburn alums, and he prayed that his dedication and love for football would allow him to play on the Plains one day.

“My grandfather went here many decades ago, followed by my dad and now me and three, potentially four, of my siblings,” Lester explained. “I’ve been coming to Auburn games since I was in the womb. I had a Bo Jackson jersey and a Cadillac jersey and would even wear them to church against my parents’ wishes.

“I remember going to games in 2004 as a child, watching us beat Florida and LSU in 2006, Cam Newton in 2010 and I was at the Kick Six in 2013. The list goes on and on – the community is awesome. It’s sometimes hectic, sometimes unconventional but there’s something really special about Auburn. I wanted to try the Air Force Academy but this is the place that means a lot to me.”

Lester refers to his two years at Air Force as “a big humbling experience.”

“I made a name for myself over there, built a reputation, and was starting to play for a young guy, which is hard to do at an academy, but ultimately, that was not the path I wanted to go on,” said Lester, who decided to transfer back to his home state to become an Auburn Tiger. 

Sep 11, 2021; Auburn, AL, USA; Barton Lester (51) blocks the punt during the game between Auburn and Alabama State at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

As a transfer walk-on who did not see any game action in 2019, Lester doubled down on the Auburn Creed value of work, hard work.

“I just grinded all year trying to pick out the best guy on scout special teams and I tried every day to compete and go against him,” he said. “In 2020, I thought I had built a reputation for myself and started to do well.”

His efforts did not go unnoticed, as Lester received more and more playing time, especially on special teams.

Those units are Lester’s home and he is looking for a big season there.

“I want to make an impact on special teams and really lead that group,” the SEC academic honor roll student said. “In my reserve role on defense, I really want to step up and contribute at linebacker as well.”

I know I make a positive impact especially behind the scenes that a lot of people don’t see, and I take pride in that contribution.

Barton Lester

Last fall, Lester had a life-changing experience when Auburn head coach Bryan Harsin awarded him a scholarship.

“That was a very humbling moment and I felt a lot of gratitude,” Lester recalled. “Playing at Auburn and earning a scholarship is something I’ve prayed for from a very early age and was one of my main life goals.

“I worked very, very hard to even get to Auburn, and once I was here, the majority of people’s expectations for me were low, but I believed and continued to work and continued to give it to God and trust in His plan for my football career and life.

“I’m still extremely grateful to Coach Harsin and every other coach and player who have poured into me over the years and believed in me against the odds. I will forever feel indebted to Auburn for the opportunities and relationships it has provided me.”

Lester says fans can expect a lot from the Auburn Tigers this year, especially at linebacker.

“We got a new linebacker coach, Christian Robinson, and he’s been awesome in giving us understanding of the game,” Lester said. “I think the Auburn linebackers might have one of the best coaching situations in the SEC or even the nation.”

Lester has great confidence in his teammates in the linebacker room as well. “Owen Pappoe obviously wasn’t able to go in spring, due to his leg injury, but he’s looking good now. Cam Riley also stepped up; he’s one of my closest guys on the team and I’m really proud of his progression. I’m expecting big things out of him this year. Wesley Steiner did well, and Eugene Asante stepped up after transferring from UNC and has really come in and worked hard. Jake Levant’s been doing really well. Sammy Cohen, coming back from a shoulder injury, has put in a lot of work this summer.”

Because of the extra year of eligibility gained from playing during the 2020 campaign due to COVID-19, there are almost a dozen players taking advantage of an additional “senior year,” including Lester.

“Will we win any more games or lose any more games because I’m on the team? I’m not sure, but I do know I make a positive impact especially behind the scenes that a lot of people don’t see, and I take pride in that contribution,” said Lester.

“I believe in the staff. I believe in all the guys that came back and came together and said, ‘Hey, we’re going to change how we’re viewed in the SEC, and we want to win.’ I want to be a part of that, and I know we’re going to have a good year this year.

“What people will really remember from us from last year is how we played and battled against Alabama. I think you’ll see that passion and fire from us this year every game.

“I think you’ll see it a lot more this year because we went through a lot of challenges in the offseason, and you’ll see a new and improved and more passionate team across the board. We're underdogs right now and that’s how we want it. Many people are predicting us to finish below .500; we’re ready to prove a lot of people wrong.”

During Lester’s time at Auburn, while graduating with a degree in finance in May 2021, and now getting an MBA, Barton Lester has made a name for himself, on and off the field.

“My MBA should be completed this fall, so I will be graduating in December with that master’s and certificates in Cyber Security and Information Systems Management. I don‘t have specific career goals yet, but I will put the same effort and attitude that I grew up with and sharpened at Auburn into my role in the work force,” he said. “I’m confident if I can do that, then I will be successful and living a life that reflects Christ and brings Him glory.”

But first, his senior season awaits. “This place means a lot to me and I’ve made it one of my main goals to leave Auburn better than I found it, because Auburn has done so much for me.

“Even though my playing role isn’t as much as some other guys, influencing in other ways around the team is where I try to leave a mark. Getting to play and be part of this team is a dream come true, so thank you, Auburn! This year will be one to remember.”

Cambrie Berard is a student assistant in Auburn Athletics media relations

• Like 4
  • Love 1