Optimism from the Pessimists

cbo

Yes, I am a pessimist in general. And certainly about Harsin. But I'm at the beach and in a good mood, so let's try something different. My concerns about Harsin are all over this board, but I can't predict the future and there are some positive signs. 

So let's post ONLY the most optimistic, hopeful signs you've noticed about Harsin and next season's team.  I'd like to hear from everybody, but especially the Harsin skeptics. No one is going to think you suddenly love him and have changed your opinion. So put on your rose colored glasses, even if you are like me and are not inclined to blind optimism. It's just for fun, so let's see what we can come up with here. 

I'll start:

• Tank should only be better this season. We are fortunate to have one of the best RBs in the country, in his final collegiate season, come back to play for Auburn. 
  • The OL is experienced and has some legitimate competition at a couple  spots. They should be better than last season. 
  • I don't weigh chemistry the same as some on here, but the team does seem to be on the same page. That could make a difference. 
  • We get Missouri from the East. 
  • The schedule sets up for a good start that would generate momentum. 
  • Nix improved last season. Harsin has a good track record with QBs. Calzada has a big arm and could be better than expected. 
  • A healthy, experienced Pappoe could be a force. 
  • We have a couple potential difference makers on the D line. 
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Thanks for the optimism. We definitely need some optimism. We need more rah-rah War Eagle spirit! And I'm seriously hoping it plays out this season with some surprise wins and very competitive losses.

That said, as a pessimist, my optimism is ..... um ...... muted.

But I really, REALLY hope your optimism plays out as a great season for my Tigers!

• Thanks 1

There has been a lot of noise outside the program. Inside the program, however, Harsin has been able to harness the criticism and turn it into fuel for this team. It’s a common trope, us against the world, but if you listen to the players, the lack of buy in last season was one of the reasons we faltered down the stretch. Not so anymore, it seems. In addition to discontinuity among the players, it became clear over the winter that our staff had not congealed, either. Whether our newly added or newly promoted staff are up to the task is yet to be seen, but unlike their predecessors, they seem to be well aligned to Harsin and his vision. These are massive, massive positives for this team. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, AURex said:

Thanks for the optimism. We definitely need some optimism. We need more rah-rah War Eagle spirit! And I'm seriously hoping it plays out this season with some surprise wins and very competitive losses.

That said, as a pessimist, my optimism is ..... um ...... muted.

But I really, REALLY hope your optimism plays out as a great season for my Tigers!

Goes against my nature and my current opinions, but thought it might be interesting. Here's hoping for the best. 

54 minutes ago, cbo said:

So let's post ONLY the most optimistic, hopeful signs you've noticed about Harsin

He made what appears to be a good hire in Ike Hillyard.

• Like 3

As long as you create a thread for us sarcastic, optimistic cynics, too.*tsk, tsk* What more could go wrong? We’ll be so much better this year! By game 6, top recruits will be begging to come to the plains. UGA will probably fake a monkey pox outbreak to get out of playing us.

If you heard that in a Michael Palin tone, you are perspicacious.

• Haha 2

We haven’t gone after Tony Franklin yet. We’re not getting slapped with recruiting violations (Pruitt and the great pumpkin). No doubt Harsin can go toe to toe scowling and dog cussing Sabin. Players on the team now probably respect Harsin and see him as consistent and committed.

42 minutes ago, cbo said:

Goes against my nature and my current opinions, but thought it might be interesting. Here's hoping for the best. 

Scared money doesn't make money..

24 minutes ago, AUx said:

As long as you create a thread for us sarcastic, optimistic cynics, too.*tsk, tsk* What more could go wrong? We’ll be so much better this year! By game 6, top recruits will be begging to come to the plains. UGA will probably fake a monkey pox outbreak to get out of playing us.

If you heard that in a Michael Palin tone, you are perspicacious.

You are a clever guy with all the big words, so I'm sure you understood the point of the assignment. 

I'm much more aligned with your way of thinking. And I actually appreciate your humor AND your big words. I could start the opposite type of thread, but that would just be me repeating myself. 

55 minutes ago, Mikey said:

He made what appears to be a good hire in Ike Hillyard.

giphy234.gif.fea0facd90e15724d823b9ecf5d91d33.gif

• Haha 1

No players showing up on the police blotter. Last 18 months have been whirlybird-loss-of-three-free.

53 minutes ago, AUx said:

We haven’t gone after Tony Franklin yet. We’re not getting slapped with recruiting violations (Pruitt and the great pumpkin). No doubt Harsin can go toe to toe scowling and dog cussing Sabin. Players on the team now probably respect Harsin and see him as consistent and committed.

Even with a terrible QB..

jeez it sucks to have the perception to have a coach on the hotseat after just getting rid of one. Freaking ridiculous

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cbo said:

Yes, I am a pessimist in general. And certainly about Harsin. But I'm at the beach and in a good mood, so let's try something different. My concerns about Harsin are all over this board, but I can't predict the future and there are some positive signs. 

So let's post ONLY the most optimistic, hopeful signs you've noticed about Harsin and next season's team.  I'd like to hear from everybody, but especially the Harsin skeptics. No one is going to think you suddenly love him and have changed your opinion. So put on your rose colored glasses, even if you are like me and are not inclined to blind optimism. It's just for fun, so let's see what we can come up with here. 

I'll start:

• Tank should only be better this season. We are fortunate to have one of the best RBs in the country, in his final collegiate season, come back to play for Auburn. 
  • The OL is experienced and has some legitimate competition at a couple  spots. They should be better than last season. 
  • I don't weigh chemistry the same as some on here, but the team does seem to be on the same page. That could make a difference. 
  • We get Missouri from the East. 
  • The schedule sets up for a good start that would generate momentum. 
  • Nix improved last season. Harsin has a good track record with QBs. Calzada has a big arm and could be better than expected. 
  • A healthy, experienced Pappoe could be a force. 
  • We have a couple potential difference makers on the D line. 

I don’t realy see these as optimistic, but just an accurate assessment. My optimistic additions:

-WRs will be better and additions will definitely help the offense.

-offensive scheme/play-calling will improve due to experience between Harsin and new OC.

-new position coach in charge of defensive backs will improve and cover the losses if some very good players.

• Like 2

• Auburn has depth at the QB position for the first time in a long time, including talented high school recruits that enrolled early.
  • The football complex is slated to be finished this year, which will help in recruiting and helping our current athletes.
  • Drew Fabianich is a fantastic addition to the team.
  • No matter how the season turns out:
    • Auburn is still a fantastic place to be on gameday.
    • 2022 season will help us get back on track no matter the outcome.
  • Like 5

7 hours ago, cbo said:

You are a clever guy with all the big words, so I'm sure you understood the point of the assignment. 

I'm much more aligned with your way of thinking. And I actually appreciate your humor AND your big words. I could start the opposite type of thread, but that would just be me repeating myself. 

Never a truer statement uttered.

• Like 1

:bow:

10 hours ago, AUx said:

perspicacious.

Definition of perspicacious

: of acute mental vision or discernment : KEEN
Wow!

Edited by AUGoo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AUGoo said:

:bow:

Definition of perspicacious

: of acute mental vision or discernment : KEEN
Wow!

I have acute discernment that I have no mental vision, so I am 75% there.

Yea I am starting to feel better about this team. Barring major injuries, I don’t see but two teams that we can’t compete with.

We better get it done this year, though, because we are going to lose a s**t ton of experience and talent.

Edited by AuCivilEng1
  • Like 1

We will field a great group of talent evaluators.

Y'all I've been thinking about putting $20 on Auburn to with the west. Like 13000 odds. I'm feeling pretty excited about the potential of this team.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Didba said:

Y'all I've been thinking about putting $20 on Auburn to with the west. Like 13000 odds. I'm feeling pretty excited about the potential of this team.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Edited by AUx
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, AUx said:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Hey man, $20 is $20 unless it's on +13000 odds then it's $2600