This sux

TexasTiger

It’s a sad political system. We’re doomed. 

• Like 1

i thought this was normal or at least the repubs doing it? i know alabama changed the law on all of that back and forth so it seems like it would be an easy fix.

‘Blood on Your Hands’: MSNBC Contributor Rails Against Democrats Spending to Boost Far-Right Candidates

MSNBC’s Nicolle Wallace took on the issue of Democrats funding far-right Republicans in the 2022 midterm elections as a strategy to try and win races.

Wallace spoke with Democratic strategist Mathew Dowd and MSNBC political contributor Jason Johnson who both railed against Democrats using this risky tactic.

“So why has the Democratic Governors Association spent more than $1,000,000 in ads to elevate Cox, the MAGA guy, Trump’s choice? The answer is they would say they’re playing the long game. They see Cox as an easier general election opponent in Maryland and appear eager to help him get there,” said Wallace introducing the segment.

“They succeeded in boosting Trump-aligned Doug Mastriano in Pennsylvania and Darren Bailey in Illinois. They are attempting it in Arizona right now with Kari Lake. They tried unsuccessfully to do it in Colorado by giving an assist to two 2020 election deniers,” Wallace added, noting the tactic’s use across the country.

“It is also, I don’t have to tell you, a strategy that carries significant risk. Think about it. If Dan Cox wins the nomination and then say he happens to pull off a win in the general, Democrats will have helped fund and elect a MAGA conservative to a governorship,” she concluded, before turning to Dowd.

“Why on earth, why on earth would we elevate candidates and try to diminish other candidates who are the sane ones and elevate the crazy ones in the midst of this environment that we’re in today?” said Dowd on the topic.

“And as you led into this, yeah, it does carry great risk, but we should actually be hopeful and supporting sane Republican candidates who believe in elections, who support the Constitution and not the crazies,” added Dowd, strongly condemning the tactic.

Wallace then turned to Johnson, who had a much more fiery take.

“This was a cute idea maybe ten, 12 years ago. I mean, both parties did it right. If you could find a nutcase on the other side, you put energy behind them, you put money behind you, you put endorsements behind them. That’s when you didn’t have to worry about a violent insurrection,” Johnson began, echoing Dowd.

“So the Democratic Party should never be funding a terrorist front. That’s what this boils down to. If you give money to somebody who does not believe in the legitimacy of our elections, you are funding terrorists,” he continued, upping the tone of his language.

“You are funding insurrections. It’s a bad idea. If those people get in, then it costs us 22 and possibly 2024 presidential election,” raising the prospect of the 2024 election not being free and fair.

“I don’t think it’s good strategy for our current political environment. And one of these is going to end up biting the Democratic Party on the nose. I don’t know which of these candidates. Maybe it’s Kari Lake, maybe it’s Cox. One of these people is going to end up winning and everyone will be like, ‘How did this happen?’”

“It’s like, ‘Yeah, the blood on your hands,’” Johnson concluded, addressing the Democrats behind the strategy.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/blood-on-your-hands-msnbc-contributor-rails-against-democrats-spending-to-boost-far-right-candidates/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CoffeeTiger said:

Stupid plan unless it works. 

They'll be shooting themselves in the foot if they cause another far-right Republican to be elected in his place though. 

It's dumb no matter what. In order to get back to any semblance of civility, we need good people on both sides. Spending money to promote another extreme-right hack because they'll be easier to beat in the general election just continues to reinforce lunacy and further push down the reasonable element of the Republican Party. In addition to being wrong, it also takes away any argument for having a moral high ground. 

Edit: The post above popped in while I was typing. "Blood on Your Hands" is a perfect description. This is a horrible thing to do.

Edited by Leftfield
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, Leftfield said:

It's dumb no matter what. In order to get back to any semblance of civility, we need good people of both sides. Spending money to promote another extreme-right hack because they'll be easier to beat in the general election just continues to reinforce lunacy and further push down the reasonable element of the Republican Party. In addition to being wrong, it also takes away any argument for having a moral high ground. 

Edit: The post above popped in while I was typing. "Blood on Your Hands" is a perfect description. This is a horrible thing to do.

I agree. I personally do no support either of the two parties directly but I don't get it. 

I'll submit for thought that, in an indirect way, the media similarly fed the Trump beast in 2015-16...free advertising by way of coverage and validating, in Trump's own mind, his candidacy. He was box office for CNN, FOX, MSNBC, all of the alphabet news reading channels, and the thought that he could actually win didn't register until it was too late.

Back on topic, feeding a rattlesnake and hoping it bites someone else is risky, and kind of stupid.

Spend your money propping up your own candidates, not bankrolling candidates that you find objectionable in the hopes that voters think they suck more than the one you want to win.

Edited by SLAG-91
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, SLAG-91 said:

I'll submit for thought that, in an indirect way, the media similarly fed the Trump beast in 2015-16...free advertising by way of coverage and validating, in Trump's own mind, his candidacy. He was box office for CNN, FOX, MSNBC, all of the alphabet news reading channels, and the thought that he could actually win didn't register until it was too late.

Back on topic, feeding a rattlesnake and hoping it bites someone else is risky, and kind of stupid.

Spend your money propping up your own candidates, not bankrolling candidates that you find objectionable in the hopes that voters think they suck more than the one you want to win.

Besides, the Republican base is likely to choose the most repulsive candidate all on their own.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1