Only P5 team without 1000 yd Receiver

aubiefifty

TIL that Auburn is the only P5 team without a single-season 1000 yard receiver in the 21st century.

is this true? i was shocked since we ran so much hunh..............

I know we haven't had a 1k receiver since '99, but I was more shocked that literally every other P5 team had one.

Our Passing/Receiving records are really really bad comparatively to anyone else.  We've yet to take a step forward and truly have an explosive modern passing game

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

AU has also had only three losing seasons in the 21st century. Not many teams can make that claim.

• Like 6

• WarTiger changed the title to Auburn is the only P5 team
On 7/24/2022 at 2:19 PM, Tiger said:

That may be the most embarrassing stat about the program

We've alternated between having no WR corp and a slew of talent, without a single dominant WR. When you have a lot of talent and you can spread the ball around, a hallmark of both CTT and CGM in their better years, then you're not going to have that one 1000 yard guy that is make or break for every game. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

We've alternated between having no WR corp and a slew of talent, without a single dominant WR. When you have a lot of talent and you can spread the ball around, a hallmark of both CTT and CGM in their better years, then you're not going to have that one 1000 yard guy that is make or break for every game. 

Idk man. The ONLY p5 team without a 1k receiver though??? C'mon that ain't right. That should be reserved for programs like Georgia Tech who ran the damn triple option for an extended period during this century 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Auburn is a running team and this should be a testament to our long standing power running game.  "RBU" should never under any circumstances fail to field a 1,000 yrd rusher every single year. 

• Like 2

• WarTiger changed the title to Only P5 team without 1000 yd Receiver
22 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Idk man. The ONLY p5 team without a 1k receiver though??? C'mon that ain't right. That should be reserved for programs like Georgia Tech who ran the damn triple option for an extended period during this century 

You forget Tech had freak of nature Calvin Johnson before they ran the option, and he was all they had. We've never had a WR at that level, but we have had 3-4 at a time who were just a notch below him in talent (Obamanu & company come to mind) that we could spread the ball around to. 

• Like 1

We have been a running team since the days of the shaded numerals with a couple of exceptions. Combine that with inept offensive play in the SEC and there you have it. 

• Like 2

2 days ago WarTiger changed the title to Auburn is the only P5 team
23 min ago 
WarTiger changed the title to Only P5 team without 1000 yd Receiver

Killed me

• Haha 4

25 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

You forget Tech had freak of nature Calvin Johnson before they ran the option, and he was all they had. We've never had a WR at that level, but we have had 3-4 at a time who were just a notch below him in talent (Obamanu & company come to mind) that we could spread the ball around to. 

They have had 5 1000yrd WRs.  Demaryius Thomas was another.

It's really embarrassing for Auburn.  I don't think we've had a single successful WR in the NFL this century....have we?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Offenses started changing to spread around, what, 2010? We went from more Tubs pro-style to Gus's offenses. We all know that his offenses aren't very pass friendly... at all. No excuses, and very disturbing, but that's probably why. Had we hired a HC with a more pass prolific offense we'd probably have one. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

They have had 5 1000yrd WRs.  Demaryius Thomas was another.

It's really embarrassing for Auburn.  I don't think we've had a single successful WR in the NFL this century....have we?

10 taken in the draft since 2000, including Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz this year. I'll leave looking up career records to someone else. 

Looking at our all time receiving list, since 1956 we have only had two 1,000 yard receivers in a season. That was Terry Beasley with 1051 yards in 1970 and Ronney Daniels with 1068 yards in 1999. Darvin Adams was close at 997 yards in 2009.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

10 taken in the draft since 2000, including Seth Williams and Anthony Schwartz this year. I'll leave looking up career records to someone else. 

I don't think any have been successful.  

Slayton might be the best looking through the list.  

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, TigerHorn said:

Honestly that's just not a good enough reason for me. The ONLY team without that accomplishment is inexcusable. We have not been nearly prolific enough at the position to claim that as an excuse. Maybe if we had LSUs type of WR talent coming through the program but we haven't had a solidified starter in the NFL since Frank Sanders. Darius Slayton is trying to be the first since then

• Thanks 1

We are consistently the most boring team in America. Passing sells. Passing is what football is all about now. Got to have a great QB and WR play to win big at any level of football now. RB U is just not as important anymore nor is it relevant. We would be a lot better off as a program if we could brand ourselves as QB U. You can plug and play at RB these days and still get good production.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

Now explain why we only have I believe two 3k yard passing seasons in our whole history. We aren’t fun. We aren’t sexy. We aren’t the cool school. Great QB and WR play sells and would help us out a lot more in recruiting than being branded as a run first program. 

By far the most fun team I’ve ever saw in my 33 years was the 2019 lsu football team. 1 elite QB and 2 guys who are already all pro’s in the nfl now.

• Like 1

Btw this is where it came from. 

BA983718-BCE3-45E8-B130-C3CA90C2CE8F.png

7 hours ago, JerryAU said:

Auburn is a running team and this should be a testament to our long standing power running game.  "RBU" should never under any circumstances fail to field a 1,000 yrd rusher every single year. 

Ok…. RBU is not where football is and has been going for a very long time. I much rather be QBU. That’s what wins you a lot more games. You can find production at rb almost anywhere these days. Great and even good qb play is a lot more important and more rare.

14 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

They had Demaryius Thomas (RIP) get over 1k in a season as well. O and You really think Obamanu , Courtney Taylor and Aromashadu are just a notch below in talent as one of the greatest NFL WR’s ever? Wtf!? Bruh….

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, TigerHorn said:

And not one of them has done a dang thing in the nfl sans one decent season from Darius Slayton. Our last good NFL WR was Frank Sanders. We haven’t had a WR drafted in the top 2 rounds since Tim Carter in 2002….

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, nurbis said:

Looking at our all time receiving list, since 1956 we have only had two 1,000 yard receivers in a season. That was Terry Beasley with 1051 yards in 1970 and Ronney Daniels with 1068 yards in 1999. Darvin Adams was close at 997 yards in 2009.  

Paiiiiiiin. So much pain. Yah our passing and receiving numbers historically are a dumpster fire. Just absolute embarrassing. Only 2 players who have ever had a 3k yard passing season in our program history.

Edited by GwillMac6

13 hours ago, au302 said:

Offenses started changing to spread around, what, 2010? We went from more Tubs pro-style to Gus's offenses. We all know that his offenses aren't very pass friendly... at all. No excuses, and very disturbing, but that's probably why. Had we hired a HC with a more pass prolific offense we'd probably have one. 

Look at Saban across the state. Until lane kiffin became their oc he was your typical head coach with a defensive background . Run first. Control the clock and play great defense. He adapted and now they have consistently one of the top 3-5 most fun and successful offenses in college football every season. Un real.

Edited by GwillMac6
  • Like 3