Predict the season

aubiefifty

Pre-season hype is getting to me. I think either 8-4 or 9-3.

Penn State game will be key to get momentum and confidence up. I have played and coached sports most of my adult life and confident players play better. My optimism is based on what I am hearing about Koy Moore and improvement of other WR's with addition of Hilliard. O-line was decent at pass blocking last year.  We have real high level quality on D-line especially with know quantities H all, Leota, Wooden and Harris plus some new players joining. We have Talent at DB but will need one to step up to be the man like McCreary last year and need Papoe and younger LB's to step up. We have a very strong RB room. so To reach the 8-4 to 9-3 number O predict a QB has to win the job and produce and O-Line has to improve run blocking.  

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tank is one possibility, Pappoe if he's returned to good health and stays healthy is a maybe. Who are the other two?

Tank, Pappoe, Derick Hall, Eku Leota, and Colby Wooden. It would not surprise me to see any of those 5 have an AA season. 

As for predictions, I am leaning heavy on 9-3. 

• Like 1

Best is probably 8-4, worst case is we break out those orange jerseys because we've become Tennessee.

• Sad 1

H- Mercer - Win 1-0

H - San Jose State - Win 2-0

H - Penn State - Win (huge momentum booster) 3-0

H - Missouri - Win (but close after Penn State Emotions) 4-0 / 1-0 SEC

H - LSU - Win (Always a tough game, new coach and system, but home field wins out) 5-0 / 2-0 SEC

A - Georgia - LOSE 5-1 / 2-1 SEC

A - OLE Miss - Win (very tight game, down to the last series, defense wins this one for us) 6-1 / 3-1 SEC

H - Arkansas - WIn (Tank and Hunter win this game in a running slug fest) 7-1 / 4-1 SEC

A - Miss State - win (last year will not happen again, they will get lots of yards, but Defense wins this again) 8-1 / 5-1 SEC

H - aTm - WIn (just because it is a home game and the crowd will be going crazy. it will be a special night and set up the energy needed for the Turds) 9-1 / 6-1 SEC

H - W. Kentucky - Win 10-1 / 7-1 SEC

A - Alabama - WIn ( Yes i am calling it, huge upset in T-town, almost a Jordan Hare Special for this game) 11-1 /. 8-1 SEC

SEC West Champs

VS. UGA for SEC Championship in the rematch, much better game than the first one but the dogs come out on top after an absolute  slug fest. 11-2 / 8-2 SEC

Jan 1st bowl game - Sugar Bowl vs Texas or Oklahoma - Lose

Season 11-3 / 8-2 SEC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tank is one possibility, Pappoe if he's returned to good health and stays healthy is a maybe. Who are the other two?

I've got:

Koy Moore
Tank Bigsby
Pappoe (If healthy)
Wooden
Hall

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mikey said:

they say our D lineman hall took that next step mikey. not sure who the others would be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Pre-season hype is getting to me. I think either 8-4 or 9-3.

Penn State game will be key to get momentum and confidence up. I have played and coached sports most of my adult life and confident players play better. My optimism is based on what I am hearing about Koy Moore and improvement of other WR's with addition of Hilliard. O-line was decent at pass blocking last year.  We have real high level quality on D-line especially with know quantities H all, Leota, Wooden and Harris plus some new players joining. We have Talent at DB but will need one to step up to be the man like McCreary last year and need Papoe and younger LB's to step up. We have a very strong RB room. so To reach the 8-4 to 9-3 number O predict a QB has to win the job and produce and O-Line has to improve run blocking.  

i think penn state is key to the season. i think we beat them we do decent. if we lose we struggle like last year. but i know i do not know my butt from third base when it comes to coaching etc...........so who knows?

6 hours ago, AUGoo said:

If you are not in the playoff, they're all meaningless bowl games.

Auburn winning a NY6 Bowl would be meaningless?

CFB is not like the other sports. Winning a bowl game can be massive for the program given the context. Auburn is not Alabama. Anything short a title is not a disappointment. Hell, a win in Athens would be incredible. I would rank that with a big bowl win. 

CFB is all about moments and games.  They can have lasting impacts on the program. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, woodford said:

Auburn winning a NY6 Bowl would be meaningless?

CFB is not like the other sports. Winning a bowl game can be massive for the program given the context. Auburn is not Alabama. Anything short a title is not a disappointment. Hell, a win in Athens would be incredible. I would rank that with a big bowl win. 

CFB is all about moments and games.  They can have lasting impacts on the program. 

I really wish the "meaningless bowl game" analogy would fade away from the Auburn program considering how piss poor our teams have been in bowl games for over a decade now.  Another WIN is another WIN and winning a bowl game closes a season with a positive vibe in many ways including sending our graduates out on a high note. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

I've got:

Koy Moore

You think that Koy Moore, who got passed up on the playing rotation by 4 different True Freshman receivers last season at LSU, is going to be an All American?

That's a pretty bold prediction....

1 hour ago, JerryAU said:

I really wish the "meaningless bowl game" analogy would fade away from the Auburn program considering how piss poor our teams have been in bowl games for over a decade now.  Another WIN is another WIN and winning a bowl game closes a season with a positive vibe in many ways including sending our graduates out on a high note. 

Unfortunately, it’s that’s way. More often than not games are played without key players. Especially, with P5 programs. U can say next man up but it screws up the rotation and everything u been doing the entire season. Also u dont have many practices.

8-5 or 9-4. The bowl game will determine the 1 game flip. 

Mercer - W

San Jose - W

Penn St - W (this game might be the most important OOC game since 03 USC 🤮... maybe 09 WVU?) 

Mizzou - W

LSU - W (Brian Kelley's first road game in the SEC)

UGA - L 😓

Ole Miss - L (don't count us out in this one)

Arkansas - W 

Miss St - W

Texas A&M - L (always an interesting game)

WKU - W

BAMA - L 🤮🤮🤮..... 🤢🤮

I'll say this about my predictions:

I won't be shocked if we do something off the wall like lose to Arkansas and Miss St and beat Ole Miss and A&M, especially with A&M being the final SEC home game. If we have 3ish losses the stadium will be packed and loud for the 6pm kickoff.

2 hours ago, JerryAU said:

2014, 17 and 19 are all the most prominent cases--how much better would any of those three seasons with a bowl win? It doesn't help that bowls always seem to love matching us with a team with a better record.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 3

🤔🤔🤔

13 hours ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Derick Hall, John Samuel Shenker

Shenker? C'mon. The guy is a hard worker and a solid team player but he's nothing like all-American. If you want to see what an all-American TE looks like, look at UGA's Bowers.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, kennypowers said:

I've got:

Koy Moore
Tank Bigsby
Pappoe (If healthy)
Wooden
Hall

Well, that's a list. Wooden and Hall could make all-SEC. Moore was a flop at LSU so I don't see much in the way of all-American in that pick. Tank and Pappoe have the potential but both will have to have great support.

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

I don't see it either, but when someone says we have four possible all-Americans on the team Pappoe just about has to be one of them.

This will be a controversial opinion, but I'm not high on Pappoe at all if we have to use him as the Mike. He seems like more of a Will. Blitz, spy, cover, etc. If we're banking on him being our next Davis/Zakoby/Britt I think we are in trouble. Sadly besides the freshman Woodyard, I'm not sure if there are any potential true Mikes on the roster right now. They messed up by not getting one in the portal

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Mikey said:

Shenker? C'mon. The guy is a hard worker and a solid team player but he's nothing like all-American. If you want to see what an all-American TE looks like, look at UGA's Bowers.

Shenker's on the Mackey Award watch list for a reason. He quietly set program records for catches and yards by a TE last year, sleep on him if you want to.

5-7 or 6-6 at best. O-line and Lb's will be the key this year, especially the O-Line. Just don't see them being much better than last year.

1 hour ago, CAReeves2010 said:

Shenker's on the Mackey Award watch list for a reason. He quietly set program records for catches and yards by a TE last year, sleep on him if you want to.

Respectfully Auburn hasn’t had much of a passing attack in years so setting catching records shouldn’t be hard to do. Especially from the tight end position. Based on probably what’s available regarding tight ends he should be on there but there is a pretty significant gap between him and Bowers IMO 

19 hours ago, metafour said:

You think that Koy Moore, who got passed up on the playing rotation by 4 different True Freshman receivers last season at LSU, is going to be an All American?

That's a pretty bold prediction....

I like what I see in his film and his interviews.  A lot.

I think Shenker can also be an all American contender (!!) without being comparable to Bowers. I don’t think Shenker will have the stats, volume of impressive plays, or name recognition to really be a contender, but hell there’s a gap between Bowers and your average All American TE. I don’t think it’s fair to say he needs to be that to get the award lol 

20 hours ago, JerryAU said:

I think the fanbase would love a bowl win over a team that matters, but that doesn’t mean the players always care that much to be fair. 

Watching that 2017 NY6 game, Auburn on every level just did not get up for that game. Fans got punked, defense was soft, etc etc. I will say, something like 2014, I think we cared. I think we just were a shell of an elite football team at that point, and Wisconsin wanted it more

Results aside, the problem of getting players to care about bowl game is not just an Auburn thing, and 99% of teams don’t have to deal with as much trauma as our players do from the average Auburn season lol 

• Like 1