Harsin vs. Auburn boosters is the hottest rivalry in college football

aubiefifty

It's one sided but what do y'all expect? Right or wrong, when you have as many scandals as we've had you're gonna get bad and unfair press. Just the way it goes. On the flip side, if we win this year, these same reporters will write a bunch of articles about how great of an effort it was in the face of adversity and we will get a lot of positive press from that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, au302 said:

It's one sided but what do y'all expect? Right or wrong, when you have as many scandals as we've had you're gonna get bad and unfair press. Just the way it goes. On the flip side, if we win this year, these same reporters will write a bunch of articles about how great of an effort it was in the face of adversity and we will get a lot of positive press from that.

This . They make money off hits and will write anything that drives people to see the smear. This has been college football for 50 years . It just means more to us since it’s AU

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, au302 said:

It's one sided but what do y'all expect?

I don’t expect much of anything anymore. But I would like to see accuracy, evidence, real sources, some semblance of journalistic integrity … 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Man that’s harsh to see in print. Maybe a little one sided but there’s some definite truth in there.  

The problem is that the truth is also littered with false statements.

• Love 1

1 hour ago, AU9377 said:

The problem is that the truth is also littered with false statements.

Ha yes, thus my “one sided” remark. It has both true and false statements in it. 

22 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Money and power are the "game".   The more unequal a society, the more truth that statement holds.

The boosters will "win".  Harsin will "win".   They share power.  They don't really have to compete.  Their coexistence is contractually, mutually understood.  They have guarantees, insurances, assurances.

The fans, the team... they have little power.

If this year's team is successful.  I will not credit the boosters or, Harsin.  I will give all of the credit to the competitive spirit of the team members.  They were caught in the middle of a power play and, chose to do the best they could rather than simply giving up.

The boosters, Harsin, they can sit back and enjoy whatever the outcome knowing that,,, it really won't affect their lives one way or, the other.

The sad truth is, if the NIL situation is as unregulated as it appears to be, it will be the fans who are ultimately left as the only ones who are willing to "show up" without a guarantee, without knowing they will "get paid".

All In! 

17 hours ago, au302 said:

A lot of these scandals have been drummed up to hurt Auburn on purpose. Some have not. 

• Like 2

I like Harsin and do have some issues with some boosters but not all. That said this was a hit piece with just enough truth in it that many people will believe it.  Harsin is responsible for mistakes he made in 1st year in not meeting with HS coaches and some poor communication to people outside of Athletic department. Some of the money people are responsible for not supporting NIL which has impacted recruiting. The debacle in February makes it easy to negative recruit saying Harsin and staff are lame duck coaches. One of the best ways to overcome the lame duck recruiting scenario is to have the boosters show he is not a lame duck by strongly supporting NIL.  Ideally we need somebody who is a good coach and hard headed to a point while also being able to communicate and play the political games to keep the money people happy. It seems Harsin has worked on some of his issues as seen the events he attended this year and the reaching out via the program where coaches hit every Alabama school.  I am not sure if Harsin has tried actually talking with some of the boosters who have not been totally supportive.  

Edited by AuburnNTexas

The perception is real. 

Hope Harsin and the guys win this fall and put this behind us.

Edited by Randman5000
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, IronMan70 said:

What many people haven't transitioned to is the fact that we are now part of a pro football league and that effects everything.

Thinking long term here…will the head coach matter as much in 5 years?  In the NFL, the head coach is a small part of a successful franchise, while in college they’re a huge part of it as their name, vision, and processes can really bolster recruiting, which is priority 1.  Maybe we create a model where the head coach sticks to head coach stuff and recruiting is all about $$$, playing time, and fit for the system.  Take the coaches out of it, or reduce their roll minimally.  Moving forward is the coach-recruiter role the best for the game and the players?

just questions…

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

Thinking long term here…will the head coach matter as much in 5 years?  In the NFL, the head coach is a small part of a successful franchise, while in college they’re a huge part of it as their name, vision, and processes can really bolster recruiting, which is priority 1.  Maybe we create a model where the head coach sticks to head coach stuff and recruiting is all about $$$, playing time, and fit for the system.  Take the coaches out of it, or reduce their roll minimally.  Moving forward is the coach-recruiter role the best for the game and the players?

just questions…

IMHO, when dealing with a bunch of teenagers I think the coach will remain a major fixture in college sports.  Developing green teenagers mentally, psychologically and physically to get them to a professional level falls on the coach and his support staff. 

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Mikey said:

The rest of this is nothing but a groundless hit piece designed to make AU look bad.

This is nothing more than a pure trash piece from an idiot writer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUDevil said:

just questions…

Good points. Coaches aren't responsible for the money so it's easy to see how it could head in that direction. Of course the NFL has a draft and players are under contract and can't just leave any time they want. Those things are going to come into play as soon as some of the boosters put up big money for a player who is a bust or wants to transfer. Then the pressure will be on the NCAA for a rules change. But yes, coaches coaching and developing players, totally separated from the money side of the operation that would sign players for the roster, seems very possible. 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2022 at 12:54 PM, icanthearyou said:

Money and power are the "game".   The more unequal a society, the more truth that statement holds.

The boosters will "win".  Harsin will "win".   They share power.  They don't really have to compete.  Their coexistence is contractually, mutually understood.  They have guarantees, insurances, assurances.

The fans, the team... they have little power.

If this year's team is successful.  I will not credit the boosters or, Harsin.  I will give all of the credit to the competitive spirit of the team members.  They were caught in the middle of a power play and, chose to do the best they could rather than simply giving up.

The boosters, Harsin, they can sit back and enjoy whatever the outcome knowing that,,, it really won't affect their lives one way or, the other.

The sad truth is, if the NIL situation is as unregulated as it appears to be, it will be the fans who are ultimately left as the only ones who are willing to "show up" without a guarantee, without knowing they will "get paid".

“Team and fans have no power” lol

Players can walk away and there’s no team. Fans quit watching/going to games. Those “in power” lose money.

It’s not a power play. Harsin lost 5 straight. People think he sucked and wanted him gone. This whole situation is more reflective of social media and lies than anything. 

Thumbs down in coming in 3…2…1 lol

I have always been told and remind others that "there are always 2 sides to a story and the truth is somewhere in the middle" .... as well as "rumors are a precursor to the truth" and "perception is reality"

My honest opinion is that I would like to see more accountability and better class/sportsmanship from the athletes and those involved in our programs both on and off the field.

Edited by AU1947
Typo

9 hours ago, AUDevil said:

just questions…

Or why we are freaking out after a year? Isn't the long game still the best move. Survive should be the game. LSU with a new coach, Miss St with Leach, Ole Miss with LK for who knows how long, A&M with little patience with Jimbo, USC, UTK and UF with new  coaches as well, Arky on their 3rd year with theirs. We have to wait them out not give them more excuses to recruit easily. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

My thoughts are that Harsin has the personality, and seemingly the coaching chops, to field a really spectacular football team and run a tight program. If we can pull out a winning season, perhaps he and the PTB can come to a mutual understanding on behalf of the football program. You don't have to like someone to have respect for them. Maybe they can ease into that copacetic relationship that Saban is touted to have with Alabama's power people. I'd love him to pull this off, because I'd love to see him stay and build us into a powerhouse of a program. I think he could do it, if given the chance. Wouldn't it be amazing for him to finally establish a situation with the power brokers that puts JABA to rest, and sets us on a different course.

Edited by WarrrEagleHey
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, WarrrEagleHey said:

My thoughts are that Harsin has the personality, and seemingly the coaching chops, to field a really spectacular football team and run a tight program. If we can pull out a winning season, perhaps he and the PTB can come to a mutual understanding on behalf of the football program. You don't have to like someone to have respect for them. Maybe they can ease into that copacetic relationship that Saban is touted to have with Alabama's power people. I'd love him to pull this out, because I'd love to see him stay and build us into a powerhouse of a program. I think he could do it, if given the chance. Wouldn't it be amazing for him to finally establish a situation with the power brokers that puts JABA to rest, and sets us on a different course.

It would.