'That dude can move:

aubiefifty

'That dude can move:' Can Koy Moore catalyze improvement for Auburn receivers?

Nathan King
4-5 minutes

Late Kick Blitz: Does Auburn have any chance to win 9 games in 2022?

ATLANTA — The first day Koy Moore practiced with his teammates this summer, Bryan Harsin saw a flash.

An unnamed quarterback fired a “little inside slant” to Moore. According to Harsin, all it took was one broken tackle for a score: “He snatched it and just took off.”

“Everyone was just like ‘hmm,’” Harsin said with a laugh. “So you’re like OK, that dude can move.”

It’s no secret Auburn needs significant improvement at receiver. Can an SEC West transplant be the catalyst?

Auburn added the 6-foot receiver the first week of June — the second wide receiver addition for the Tigers from the transfer portal, joining Miami’s Dazalin Worsham. A former teammate of Auburn defensive back Donovan Kaufman at Archbishop Rummel High School (Kenner, La.), the nimble Moore carved out a role in LSU's offense as a true freshman, snaring 22 passes for 177 yards. In LSU's regular-season finale against Ole Miss, after a flurry of opt-outs, Moore started his only game of the year and had six catches.

But Moore took a step back, in terms of playing time, last season, as others emerged in LSU's receiving corps. He appeared in six of seven games to start the season, and had only five catches for 71 yards.

Moore was the first LSU player to enter the portal (Oct. 18) after the program announced it would be not be retaining Ed Orgeron after the conclusion of the regular season.

“He’s got a presence about him when he showed up,” Harsin said during a chat with local reporters before Thursday’s SEC Media Days began. “Ike (Hilliard) was all about him, and had been from the beginning. Just really felt something strongly about him, and we were fortunate enough to get him when it was all said and done. He’s got a certain level of maturity you feel about him just from transferring.”

Added veteran tight end John Samuel Shenker: “He’s a real wide receiver. We knew when we got him he was really good. But to see him in action, he’s going to help us a lot this year.”

Auburn lost two of its top three receivers from last season, with Kobe Hudson transferring to UCF and Demetris Robertson exhausting his eligibility. Under the program’s third receivers coach in two years — Hilliard, a longtime NFL assistant — Auburn returns 58.1% of its production at the position, led by fifth-year senior Shedrick Jackson's 527 yards.

“I think we’ve got playmakers; we’ve got to get them in the right spots,” Harsin said. “Ike (Hilliard) does a really good job of getting these guys to be precise in their routes. He coached the pros; he knows how to get these guys where he needs them. ‘You’re going to be at 10 and-a-half yards, not 11.’”

Harsin named about every player in the room when talking about improvement this offseason, but spent more time singling out redshirt freshman Tar'Varish Dawson. His comments echoed much of what Dawson’s teammates and coaches mentioned in the spring — that Dawson, a former four-star recruit, has taken a big step forward in his maturity level, and that’s translated to the practice field.

“Tar’Varish Dawson’s a completely different player than he was last year — and he would say that, too,” Harsin said. “Last year he was kind of goofing around and enjoying being out there. Now he’s trying to make plays. I think the attitude in that room has brought out the best in them.”

Auburn ranked No. 10 in the SEC in explosive passing plays last season, with only 17 completions that covered 30 yards or more. For Auburn to scratch its ceiling as an offense, especially with a new QB, Harsin knows that must improve.

“I do think we have a couple guys we can throw a 6-yard hitch, and can take it 80,” Harsin said. “We have more of those guys than we did.”

• Like 2

I believe this group will be a bright spot on the team. They have been working hard this offseason. 

1 hour ago, autigeremt said:

I believe this group will be a bright spot on the team. They have been working hard this offseason. 

I certainly hope so. I've been wishing and wanting for awhile that we could improve in our passing game.

He's got experience and eligibility which is great. Looking forward to seeing some of those game-breaker plays. 

I think he’ll be productive. Curious to see how our starting WR’s. I wonder who’s getting that starting slot spot. Him or Dawson? Shed and Javarrius Johnson will probably be on the outside 

What is nice they can play multiple WR combinations. If the hype we are hearing from Harsin and players is true we will be better at WR then we were last year and Ike Hilliard is a big reason why. When receivers run precise routes QB can throw to a spot knowing they will be there instead of waiting.  Now we need a QB to step up and hit the receivers. Also King has made switch to WR co we now will have two large possession type receiver on the field at times King and one of the TE's. We know Shenker will be 1st TE but now Deal, Fromm, and Frazier will have more of a chance to step up.