Hall 'was gone' but love for Auburn brought him back

aubiefifty

Derick Hall 'was gone' to NFL, but love for Auburn brought him back

Nathan King
4 minutes

John Samuel Shenker Discusses Auburn's Summer Football Workouts

ATLANTA — Derick Hall’s mind was made up.

After the best game of his career — sacking Heisman winner Bryce Young three times in a four-overtime heartbreaker of an Iron Bowl — the 6-foot-4 pass-rusher was ready to call it a career with the Tigers. He informed his family and was on his way out the door.

“After the Iron Bowl and heading into the bowl game, I told my mom I was done,” Hall said Thursday at SEC Media Days. “I was gone. I’m going to the league, I’m going to make it happen.”

But the former top-150 recruit from Mississippi took a breather, sat down with his family and assessed all his options. And a deep love for his university and football program ultimately made the choice for him.

“Why would I leave and miss out on the college experience?" Hall said. "You never get that back. Just being able to play with my brothers one more time. ... I love Auburn, and Auburn loves me back, for sure. Everybody takes care of me. … I wanted to give back to them one more time. If I had to make the decision again, I’d definitely still come back for 2022.”

After tying for third in the SEC in sacks last season, Hall represents a massive returning piece for the Tigers' defense. Auburn had only three scholarship players at his edge rusher position exiting the spring, making his senior leadership all the more valuable.

The staff added Western Kentucky transfer Marcus Bragg in the offseason, filling out a true second rotation on the edge. Former high-end recruit Dylan Brooks, who didn't play in a game in his first season, will have to catch on quickly, too.

"He has no choice," Hall said when asked if Brooks is ready for the increased role.

In the spring, Hall's running mate at edge linebacker, former Northwestern transfer Eku Leota, said it's his goal to combine with Hall for the most sacks in Auburn history this season. Leota was highly productive in his first season as a Tiger, finishing second behind Hall on the team in both sacks (seven) and tackles for loss (10).

“Leota is my right hand man,” Hall said. “We train together, we work together. … It seems like I’ve known him for forever, even though he’s only coming up on his second year at Auburn.”

Hall's skill set has, seemingly, grown steadily over the course of his three seasons at Auburn. He would have likely been a mid-to-late round pick if he had stayed with his initial decision to turn pro, but he doesn't necessarily have goals for his stock or production with the Tigers in 2022.

As a senior, he just wants to win.

“I haven’t really put a stipulation on what I want to achieve or what I want to do,” Hall said. “You play for each other and play together, everything else will take care of itself. … I want to take the next step in my development. Some times a hand up here, a heel down here is the difference between a sack and a missed tackle. I’ve really been honed in on the little things.

“But it’s really not about me; it’s about this team and trying to take things to the next level.”

• Love 1

This kid is going to be an All-American this year.  Just stay healthy.