Christian Robinson 'loves physicality'

aubiefifty

Florida linebacker: Auburn's Christian Robinson 'loves physicality'

Nathan King
4-5 minutes

SEC Media Days: Biggest Question For Mississippi State

ATLANTA — In earnest, Christian Robinson and Ventrell Miller got started together in Gainesville. Robinson took over the Gators’ linebackers room in 2018, and Miller had sat out the entire 2017 season.

And over the next four seasons, Robinson helped Miller emerge as a starter for the Gators, then an All-SEC selection in 2020.

But what Miller remembers more about Robinson, now heading his first season in the same role at Auburn, is the bond they shared off the field.

“That’s still my boy,” Miller said of his former coach Wednesday at SEC Media Days. “Coach Rob just did a great job building relationships while he was at Florida. He’s a great guy.”

One of four first-year coaches on Bryan Harsin’s Year 2 staff on the Plains, Robinson spent the previous four years under Dan Mullen with the Gators. It was his first assistant job, after five seasons as a grad assistant with Georgia, Ole Miss and Mississippi State.

After serving as interim defensive coordinator for the final four games of the season — Florida fired Todd Grantham in early November — Robinson was not retained by new Gators coach Billy Napier. He signed a two-year deal at Auburn worth just under $1.1 million, replacing Jeff Schmedding, who was promoted to defensive coordinator.

“Being around him, when I interviewed him — here's a good, young coach,” Harsin said in the spring. “His dad's a high school coach, he's been around the game his whole life, you can tell when you talk to him. Awesome to be around, great energy, the players love him, recruits love him. He gets it.”

At Florida, Robinson helped produce three NFL draft picks at linebacker.

“He wants it hard-nosed,” Miller said. “He wants you to go out there and fly around, be physical, take on blocks. He wants you to be hitting people. He loves physicality.”

A Georgia linebacker from 2009-12, Robinson went 3-1 against Auburn in the Deep South’s Oldest Rivalry, and played inside Jordan-Hare Stadium twice.

"I grew up playing in this stadium," Robinson said in the spring. "And every time I have a recruit and we go over things and walk to the stadium, I do get goosebumps. I remember and know what that Saturday feels like. ... In terms of recruiting and building relationships, there's not a better place to do that than in the hot bed of recruiting in the Southeastern Conference."

Robinson's linebacker room lost leading tacklers Zakoby McClain and Chandler Wooten, who combined for 189 tackles, from last season. But the fact that every other scholarship player is back — led by senior Owen Pappoe, a former five-star recruit and 2021 team captain — has helped the group's consistency on a practice-to-practice basis this spring, he said.

"I think we have a lot of continuity," Robinson said. "I walked in the room, and they do a great job of understanding how you go through an install, how you go through a practice. Having (defensive coordinator) Jeff Schmedding here, too, makes it easy — because it's not like there was a loss of any kind. It's a continuation, and I can amplify what's been going on from my point of view."

2COMMENTS

I'm so freaking ready.  I'm telling you...even before SEC Media days...10-1 going into the trailer park.

• Like 1