Jarrett Stidham Highlight Video

StatTiger

I always felt that Jarrett Stidham never received enough credit for his performance on the field as an Auburn Tiger. I believe it is likely due to the 8-5 record in his final season. Diving into the numbers, Auburn ran for at least 140-yards only 16 times during Stidham's 27 starts at quarterback and the Tigers went 15-1 in those games and 3-8 during the remaining games.

Among Auburn QB's with at least 300 career pass attempts, Jarrett Stidham was the 3rd most efficient quarterback and possessed the best TD to INT ratio. In two seasons, he amassed over 6000 yards of total offense and 42 TD's. He was directly involved in 141 impact plays or plays of 15+ yards.

https://youtu.be/Zy3bimHJZAs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 2

Thanks for posting all of these detailed statistics!

I didn’t realize his 2017 numbers against A&M, Georgia and the turds were that impressive! Very, very impressive! Can you imagine if he had a solid SEC O-line to throw behind, what his career numbers would’ve looked like?!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AU-24 said:

Thanks for posting all of these detailed statistics!

I didn’t realize his 2017 numbers against A&M, Georgia and the turds were that impressive! Very, very impressive! Can you imagine if he had a solid SEC O-line to throw behind, what his career numbers would’ve looked like?!

I thought the same as I put the feature together.

• Like 1

I definitely think he would’ve been a winner if he came a couple years earlier. 2015-16 had a lot of similarities to 2017 in terms of offensive construction imo (think 2015 was serviceable in terms of receiver talent but Duke carried a lot of that) 

Stidham's success was mostly predicated on how the run game did. The reason for that was he came from an offense (Art Briles) where he was only taught to make one or two reads before throwing. Then he comes into a Gus Malzahn offense that doesn't give him the passing options or coaching to find them all even if there were many (Gus never taught QB's to read defenses either). Because of the aforementioned, Gus's passing was all predicated on running the ball well to succeed. Games in 2017 where we ran well (which there were a lot because we had a good online) Stidham usually played pretty darn well. When we didn't (Clemson, 2nd Uga game) he usually played like crap. Then the 2018 team lost nearly the whole line from 2017 and severely regressed at run blocking. That was the main reason for Stidham's decline in 2018. Overall, he was pretty darn accurate and possessed elite arm strength on certain types of throws. 

Edited by twilli13

19 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Overall, he was pretty darn accurate and possessed elite arm strength on certain types of throws. 

I thought this also. However, watching the video, I noticed he was off on a LOT of passes. The difference was that he had WRs that would catch the ball if it was near. And the WRs could get separation. Many of his underthrown balls were not a big deal since the WR had enough separation to slow down and still catch the ball.  That doesn't mean he was not a good QB.

It shows that having an above average WR corp really is a big key to a successful QB.

That 2018 OL was one of the worst I've seen, and that's saying something considering the OL we've put out the past 3 years. Stidham always had happy feet, but he was a damn good QB. Great mechanics. A poor offensive fit. Wish he'd get his shot in the NFL

• Love 1

21 hours ago, twilli13 said:

Stidham's success was mostly predicated on how the run game did. The reason for that was he came from an offense (Art Briles) where he was only taught to make one or two reads before throwing. Then he comes into a Gus Malzahn offense that doesn't give him the passing options or coaching to find them all even if there were many (Gus never taught QB's to read defenses either). Because of the aforementioned, Gus's passing was all predicated on running the ball well to succeed. Games in 2017 where we ran well (which there were a lot because we had a good online) Stidham usually played pretty darn well. When we didn't (Clemson, 2nd Uga game) he usually played like crap. Then the 2018 team lost nearly the whole line from 2017 and severely regressed at run blocking. That was the main reason for Stidham's decline in 2018. Overall, he was pretty darn accurate and possessed elite arm strength on certain types of throws. 

We're going to need a solid run game this year because Calzada will be a lot like Stidham (elite arm strength on certain throws) he'll need the run game to relieve the pressure of feeling like he has to shoulder the load all by himself.

I think the few new starters on the oline with the rest super seniors and another year in the system under Friend will bode well for online execution.  Those guys will hopefully be a bright spot - Lord knows they've all worked hard for years, have been loyal to AU and deserve some praise.