Pretty good one on Harsin and Auburn.

AU-24

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Why are you wasting time with some of these posters lol. A couple of them are disliked by majority of people here (on both sides) simply because their annoyance. Your time is much better served with others. 

That's a great question DAG, I guess I'm a flagellant. I went ahead and added them to the ignore list with the other trolls.

Edited by Didba
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Lol dude pretty much said he's an college guru 😂😂

I hope you aren't referring to me with this

11 minutes ago, Didba said:

I hope you aren't referring to me with this

No the dude that was like I studied film with 2 of the 3 top sec coaches

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AU-24 said:

You are now awarded the second place trophy for:  I don’t care how bad of a coach Brian Harsin is, or how bad he brings down Auburn football, bottom line is, he’s not Gus.

You are a funny guy, can't see the forest for all the trees

3 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

You're the one claiming his QB work and scheme are "major bright spots". Unless by major bright spots you mean simply better than Gus?

Hey, you finally get what I've been saying about Harsin, glad we are on the same page.

3 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

You're the one claiming his QB work and scheme are "major bright spots". Unless by major bright spots you mean simply better than Gus? Words matter and my exaggeration is much closer to your words than 'better than gus', so you can screw off trying to claim strawman as a ploy to defend yourself.

Hey man, you are the one taking my words and exaggerating them to prop up a strawman and then knocking down that strawman. If you don't do it I won't call you out for it.

Edited by Didba

1 hour ago, Didba said:

That's a great question DAG, I guess I'm a flagellant. I went ahead and added them to the ignore list with the other trolls.

GOOD!

So no more back 'n forth between you and them, right? 

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

Lol dude pretty much said he's an college guru 😂😂

On another note how great it is to see a guy who it was said they wouldn't want him to QB here and people suggested he should move to wr become the hottest thing on the market and soon will sign the biggest deal!

I remember on here if a guy was athletic automatically it was assumed he couldn't throw and many didn't want him, now here we are where now all you hear about is a guy being athletic enough to extend plays! Who would have thought 😃

What this shows me is our fanbase is as bad as the UGAs, LSUs of the world. We like to act like we are better but no these past six months have shown me how self destructing this fanbase can be. I am so ready for some football though. Seems like ages ago.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, DAG said:

What this shows me is our fanbase is as bad as the UGAs, LSUs of the world. We like to act like we are better but no these past six months have shown me how self destructing this fanbase can be. I am so ready for some football though. Seems like ages ago.

Yeah. I will say this, I think this season is the most....I don't know how to put it, in the dark I've been about a season. I don't know what to expect. I'm hoping somebody like Dylan Brooks or somebody can be a super star. This fan base has been wanting a super star for a long time, been trying to make guys be stars that's not close. I hope we get one soon. My fear is when we do there's a good chance this fan base won't accept them. 

It feels like this fan base is waiting for that transcend player that wasn't even recruited.........That happens few and far between though

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Yeah. I will say this, I think this season is the most....I don't know how to put it, in the dark I've been about a season. I don't know what to expect. I'm hoping somebody like Dylan Brooks or somebody can be a super star. This fan base has been wanting a super star for a long time, been trying to make guys be stars that's not close. I hope we get one soon. My fear is when we do there's a good chance this fan base won't accept them. 

It feels like this fan base is waiting for that transcend player that wasn't even recruited.........That happens few and far between though

That's because we have been lulled into these cinderella type seasons. So we had a Cam Newton, we had a NM (Transcending to us) and have been trying to repeat that magic ever since. Those are anomalies. The real thing is to build culture and consistency, which takes time more times than not. We love the idea of being the under dog and beating the bully. We love the idea of having that Disney season. I think CBH could be the first to build a lasting culture. My fear is if he fails or we don't do it in a fast pace, who will we hire next? That is how you become Tennessee. Continuous bad freaking hires.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, AUwent said:

Phil Steele picked them to be the G5 NY6 rep, I believe. 🤢

Do you mean UCF? Phil Steele is an absolute joke in my opinion. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mikey said:

Maybe you should check facts before posting?

At UCF, Gus inherited a team that finished 6-4 the prior year. He led them to a 9-4 record and that included a bowl win over SEC member Florida. 9-4 with a bowl win isn't losing. For that matter, in eight years Gus never had a losing season at Auburn.

Facts in that division are also deceiving. Gus will always lose 4 or so a year. His offense has been figured out and is not fun as successfully as other up tempo ones. And a win over over UF is not exactly big news the last few years. Gus also left the cupboard bare and never held any player accountable. I’m not a GM hater at all, but his brand was no longer working. Maybe Harsin’s doesn’t either, but he deserves the time to do things his way. If he fails then he fails. 

The problem is that many on here do not understand what Harsin is trying to do. The program was on a downward trajectory for years. I was in denial about it until 2020, when I realized that we were 2 obvious calls away from bottoming out. Gus was headed for a 4-8 season last year.

Many hoped that Hars would come in and take off, saving us from the bottoming out we were headed for. But Hars's plan was/is to strip it down and build it back correctly. No, he wasn't losing on purpose, but he'd rather take short-term lumps for long-term rewards. 

Not even gonna get into how Gus's personnel was entirely different than what Hars needs. So nobody's making excuses, but you gotta come to terms with what he's trying to do.

Unfortunately I'm not so sure if he's executing the plan well, but I know for sure it's a damn good plan. I've watched the Atlanta Braves do the same thing to tremendous success for decades. So we should benefit from this one way or another. Either Hars will get to reap the fruits of this arduous process, or the next coach will. Society just doesn't have the patience, and I get it. We live in an instant gratification world.

Edited by au302
  • Like 5
  • Love 2

37 minutes ago, Old fan 47 said:

Facts in that division are also deceiving. Gus will always lose 4 or so a year. His offense has been figured out and is not fun as successfully as other up tempo ones. And a win over over UF is not exactly big news the last few years. Gus also left the cupboard bare and never held any player accountable. I’m not a GM hater at all, but his brand was no longer working. Maybe Harsin’s doesn’t either, but he deserves the time to do things his way. If he fails then he fails. 

UCF also lost to a 4-8 Navy team

• Love 1

17 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

UCF also lost to a 4-8 Navy team

Don't tell the whole story.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, DAG said:

That's because we have been lulled into these cinderella type seasons. So we had a Cam Newton, we had a NM (Transcending to us) and have been trying to repeat that magic ever since. Those are anomalies. The real thing is to build culture and consistency, which takes time more times than not. We love the idea of being the under dog and beating the bully. We love the idea of having that Disney season. I think CBH could be the first to build a lasting culture. My fear is if he fails or we don't do it in a fast pace, who will we hire next? That is how you become Tennessee. Continuous bad freaking hires.

Ok, but there has to be tangible signs of progress. We lose god knows how many seniors after this year. Recruiting was terrible even before the investigation, and all the best parts of our staff were leaving left and right.

How long do you think it's fair to give him to reach the magic number 9? 10? etc. Pat Dye, whom so many of you compare Harsin to, won 9 his second year. Tuberville won 9 his second year. (This was when the season was 11 games BTW.)

I agree that we need to be careful hire-wise but there's several people we realistically should be able to get if need be that I think would fit very well. It would be preferable of course for CBH to work out.

Edited by AUwent

1 minute ago, AUwent said:

Ok, but there has to be tangible signs of progress. We lose god knows how many seniors after this year. How long do you think it's fair to give him to reach the magic number 9? 10? etc.

More than one year. Why do I have to keep repeating this to you? It is idiotic to fire a coach after one year UNLESS you have a suitable replacement ready. Auburn never does. You fire a coach after one year, where many people said a rebuild would have to take place is a P.R. nightmare. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

More than one year. Why do I have to keep repeating this to you? It is idiotic to fire a coach after one year UNLESS you have a suitable replacement ready. Auburn never does. You fire a coach after one year, where many people said a rebuild would have to take place is a P.R. nightmare. 

I never wanted to fire him after one year, my dude. How many years should we give him to reach that mark, then?

Edited by AUwent

Just now, AUwent said:

I never wanted to fire him after one year, my dude. How many years should we give him to reach that mark, then?

I don't know I don't I am not a wizard. That is the probably with you. You want everything now. It is in the way you post as well too. Everything is based on context. If he even has minimal improvement I don't think you fire him next year, I will say that. If he stays the same, you run the risk of getting rid of him, but you better have a suitable replacement. I am not talking  Dell Mcgee like you be harping on. If he goes backwards then you shouldn't have much pushback in firing him.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

Don't tell the whole story.

Well they also played 4 of 5 worst teams in the AAC. Except for Cincy, SMU and Houston the AAC sucked and both Cincy and SMU destroyed UCF

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, DAG said:

I don't know I don't I am not a wizard. That is the probably with you. You want everything now. It is in the way you post as well too. Everything is based on context. If he even has minimal improvement I don't think you fire him next year, I will say that. If he stays the same, you run the risk of getting rid of him, but you better have a suitable replacement. I am not talking  Dell Mcgee like you be harping on. If he goes backwards then you shouldn't have much pushback in firing him.

The first part of your post is entirely fair. A bowl (the traditional way, not the backdoor-APR way) almost certainly gets Harsin a third year, as I alluded to in my sig. The problem is how many people we lose after this year. And if our recruiting continues this way, do you really see any improvement in year 3?

If we need to part ways though, I think you're being way too narrow-minded. Counting the new guys, six coaches in the SEC were HCs at other P5 schools. Three of them were Leach, Kiffin and Sarkisian. Somehow I get the feeling those calling for an "established HC" wouldn't have want any of those three (or at least in Kiffin's case, wanted him before his current post). So that's likely three coaches in the entire league that fill the "established HC" quota.

I'll just leave this here. 🤷‍♂️

image.jpeg

Edited by AUwent

4 hours ago, Didba said:

Hey man, you are the one taking my words and exaggerating them to prop up a strawman and then knocking down that strawman. If you don't do it I won't call you out for it.

So it is ok for you to use words which vastly exaggerate your meaning, but it's not ok when my words go barely beyond yours?

• Haha 1

Just now, AUwent said:

This is entirely fair. A bowl (the traditional way, not the backdoor-APR way) almost certainly gets Harsin a third year, as I alluded to in my sig. The problem is how many people we lose after this year. And if our recruiting continues this way, do you really see any improvement in year 3?

SO I am going to say this once again. I never expected us to be landing 4 or 5 stars after last summer UNLESS we are just paying guys tons of money to come here. Why would any consensus 4 or 5 star player come here when they potentially are going to have to deal with the firing of a coach? That is annoying to deal with. Y'all need to go listen to some player led podcasts such as the PIVOT, Bussin with the boys, and I AM ATHLETE to hear the mindset of players and culture when they are dealing with lame duck coaches or horrible seasons. It is terribly hard to close in precarious scenarios especially if everyone is not in one regard. I also think blame should go to everyone in that regard. 

I have always said this team and staff will have to do more with less and pass the eye test. Last year, we had no business losing to Mississippi State, USCe or BAMA. You cannot lose those games. You win those games and the narrative completely change. Hell you win the Ironbowl and you come into bowl season with extreme confidence. It sucks. What I can say is last year, despite the helter skelter phase, the team was legit in almost every game. It was also the first year in this system with this coach. Those are the positives as a fan I choose to take in considerations as positive even if there are glaring negatives. I also think this team as constructed are capable of winning 8 games just like they should've done last year. So now it is time to put up or shut up. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

5 minutes ago, DAG said:

SO I am going to say this once again. I never expected us to be landing 4 or 5 stars after last summer UNLESS we are just paying guys tons of money to come here. Why would any consensus 4 or 5 star player come here when they potentially are going to have to deal with the firing of a coach? That is annoying to deal with. Y'all need to go listen to some player led podcasts such as the PIVOT, Bussin with the boys, and I AM ATHLETE to hear the mindset of players and culture when they are dealing with lame duck coaches or horrible seasons. It is terribly hard to close in precarious scenarios especially if everyone is not in one regard. I also think blame should go to everyone in that regard. 

I have always said this team and staff will have to do more with less and pass the eye test. Last year, we had no business losing to Mississippi State, USCe or BAMA. You cannot lose those games. You win those games and the narrative completely change. Hell you win the Ironbowl and you come into bowl season with extreme confidence. It sucks. What I can say is last year, despite the helter skelter phase, the team was legit in almost every game. It was also the first year in this system with this coach. Those are the positives as a fan I choose to take in considerations as positive even if there are glaring negatives. I also think this team as constructed are capable of winning 8 games just like they should've done last year. So now it is time to put up or shut up. 

I can appreciate your feedback--namely some outline of your expectations--but two things:

A--Under Gus we were in basically every game on odd years too (aside from LSU 2015) (not having to go to Orthanc or Barad-dur kinda helps).

B--After last summer? The investigation was in February. Do you live in Australia?

Edited by AUwent