I don't think anyone here loves Gus

Def be wrong 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Def be wrong 

Very, very wrong.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, GunsmithAU said:

Gus never hid that it was a modern shotgun wing T. 

Hell there are major big time highschool programs putting out 4-5 star recruits and winning upper division state titles with the shotgun wingT.

I don't really have a problem with the wing T basis as it has stood the test of time with many of it's concepts still being utilized even in the NFL. The problem with Gus was the refusal to take that basis and involve the dynamic passing concepts which now dominate college and the pros, coach OL on modern technique/incorperated protection which teach the communication needed for modern Ds.

We are on the same page here.

That's a common thing. Point out something argue about it a couple of days and someone comes in and says I don't think anybody says or believes so and so.....

Me and mcloof would laugh at that every time, you could bet your bottom dollar on that person jumping in and saying that every single time

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, W.E.D said:

I've been very consistent with this. He was not a good QB his first two years. He showed improvement. But wasn't really good the first half of the season. GA State, UGA, Penn St.  

Due to Harsin. He finally showed improvement. His final 4 games, even with the bad A&M game, he looked like a real QB for a long stretch. I believe he was near 70% comp during that stretch.

He was on another level vs TJ last year. And we beat  MSU, USC, and Houston if he plays.

That said, he's still a bad down the field passer comparatively. He doesn't have the strongest arm and still makes bad decisions. 

There is context to everything 

I will believe Zach is even on Bo's level when I see it. Fact is, running him off was a bad look if he was that important.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I will believe Zach is even on Bo's level when I see it. Fact is, running him off was a bad look if he was that important.

Look at their stats? 3rd yr starting QB vs a taking over due to injury...nearly Identical. 

Yes. Calzada cant escape like Bo, but he actually can throw down field well....you know a QB trait vs a scat back

Edited by W.E.D

13 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Bo ran himself off and he landed exactly where he needs to be, with Dillingham & the Ducks.

I believe Calzada is a more coachable player and once he gets his decision making tuned in & gets better control of his throws he'll be fine.  Prayers sent he has a solid oline to work behind and a stout run game to take the pressure off this season. 

• Like 3

Just now, W.E.D said:

Look at their stats? 3rd yr starting QB vs a taking over due to injury...nearly Identical. 

Yes. Calzada can escape like Bo, but he actually can throw down field well....you know a QB trait vs a scat back

The sad thing is both are average based on their stats. It’s not like we let some amazing talent QB Walk away. If he doesn’t significantly improve, he will always be fighting for a QB position. Better get use to it. 

See post like that forces people”s hands to critique players when I would rather not. 

Just now, DAG said:

The sad thing is both are average based on their stats. It’s not like we let some amazing talent QB Walk away. If he doesn’t significantly improve, he will always be fighting for a QB position. Better get use to it. 

I agree. Neither have been good. I think ZC has more upside as a passer

• Like 1

Lol. I've never seen people try to make a QB that can't throw be so good.  Believe zc is in Bo 's level 😂 what level? What does he do better than zc?

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Lol. I've never seen people try to make a QB that can't throw be so good.  Believe zc is in Bo 's level 😂 what level? What does he do better than zc?

He has better Running Back or WR capabilities. What you want ot of a QB

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

He has better Running Back or WR capabilities. What you want ot of a QB

I really don’t know why his stats look subpar , but when he puts it all together he has a very nice arm. I guess we will see.

26 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Let me guess the response to this 

“duuuuh but what about Joey Gatewood.” 

Rinse, repeat. 

In fairness to Zach, our three best QBs since Brandon left were all transfers. I'm not entirely sure we should ever sign a QB out of HS again.

Edited by AUwent
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, AUwent said:

In fairness to Zach, our three best QBs since Brandon left were all transfers. I'm not entirely sure we should ever sign a QB out of HS again.

You sir are a Nut....now if Gus was still HC I would agree

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, AUwent said:

Rip Holden... lol. You're correct, we haven't had a single HS QB reach their potential in quite some time. Really hoping that changes

59 minutes ago, DAG said:

I really don’t know why his stats look subpar , but when he puts it all together he has a very nice arm. I guess we will see.

Yeah, banking on some solid development. Hopefully going into year 2 as a starter it helps. From ppl smarter than me, Jimbo's offense and his slow developing passing concepts aren't the best for all QBs. Idk of we're different 

57 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yeah, banking on some solid development. Hopefully going into year 2 as a starter it helps. From ppl smarter than me, Jimbo's offense and his slow developing passing concepts aren't the best for all QBs. Idk of we're different 

Not as much about best for QB as it is about the quality of the line. That's true for everything, but his exasperates the issue a little. 

1 minute ago, GunsmithAU said:

Not as much about best for QB as it is about the quality of the line. That's true for everything, but his exasperates the issue a little. 

I can't the stat, but ZC was under pressure a ton and much more than Auburn.  Our OL was avg in pass pro.  Couldn't run block worth a damn, but they gave decent protection.

Hopefully 3 new starters helps too

15 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Guess you  could call it that...............

It’s gotten really bad when I feel like one of the sane posters.

Don't comment on that….

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2