Anyone favor this?

They need to call a spade a spade. The only way to move on from the past is to recognize what really happened. I don’t understand the need to try to make kids feel more comfortable. I mean do the German’s try to make their youth comfortable by lying about Auschwitz? 

Teach them that due to the arrogance of the planter class in the South, that 600,000 men died to decide the issue of slavery. Thank goodness it was eliminated.

Also teach them that 5% or less of southerners had slaves and some blacks and Indians did too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

They need to call a spade a spade. The only way to move on from the past is to recognize what really happened. I don’t understand the need to try to make kids feel more comfortable. I mean do the German’s try to make their youth comfortable by lying about Auschwitz? 

Actually, there is a history of denial in Germany about the Holocaust:

https://www.auschwitz.org/en/history/holocaust-denial/holocaust-and-genocide-denial-after-the-war/

As well as WW1:

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/reviews/capsule-review/2002-03-01/german-atrocities-1914-history-denial

But I agree wholeheartedly with you.  Every country needs to recognize and present their actual history. It's the only way to advance as a species.

Edited by homersapien
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Teach them that due to the arrogance of the planter class in the South, that 600,000 men died to decide the issue of slavery. Thank goodness it was eliminated.

Also teach them that 5% or less of southerners had slaves and some blacks and Indians did too.

some things never change. most of the southerners fighting in the civil war did not own slaves because mostly all the rich southern cats owned them but the poor had to go fight and suffer those losses. and they owned very few slaves. folks do not know a lot of southerners deserted as well because they did not think it was fair to die protecting some rich cats property. and no it had nothing to do with bravery.

• Like 1

i think kids ought to be taught the truth in school. when we start rewriting history the ies come out or people use it to their advantage to stoke up hate.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Actually, there is a history of denial in Germany about the Holocaust:

https://www.auschwitz.org/en/history/holocaust-denial/holocaust-and-genocide-denial-after-the-war/

It's an extremist position there, though.

Japan would be a better example. Their conservatives love to rewrite history when it comes to their behavior in the 30s and 40s. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, AUDub said:

It's an extremist position there, though.

Japan would be a better example. Their conservatives love to rewrite history when it comes to their behavior in the 30s and 40s. 

It is now.  But their schools ignored it for decades following the war.

Japan probably is worse in that regard though.

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

some things never change. most of the southerners fighting in the civil war did not own slaves because mostly all the rich southern cats owned them but the poor had to go fight and suffer those losses. and they owned very few slaves. folks do not know a lot of southerners deserted as well because they did not think it was fair to die protecting some rich cats property. and no it had nothing to do with bravery.

Exactly! I have read two books on Union loyalists in Alabama. It was a tough situation to be in at times. Many had to leave during the war for safety behind Union lines and several thousands served in the Union army. And yes, there was a large number who deserted. Some joined the Union army.

As with most wars, this was “A Rich Man’s War and A Poor Man’s Fight.

• Like 3