White House aide's testimony shows police were 'sent to be potentially slaughtered' by Trump

aubiefifty

Rep. Ruben Gallego said a White House aide's testimony shows police were 'sent to be potentially slaughtered' by Trump

Camila DeChalus

Tue, June 28, 2022 at 3:23 PM·3 min read

In this article:

Ruben Gallego

American politician

Donald Trump

45th President of the United States

Rep. Ruben Gallego says police were 'sent to be slaughtered' on Jan. 6 by Trump.

An ex-aide testified that Trump knew there were not enough police at the US capitol.

Gallego said the testimony of the former WH aide has shown Trump's involvement in the Jan 6 insurrection.

Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego said that 'US Capitol Police officers were sent to be potentially slaughtered' on January 6 after a former White House staffer testified that former President Donald Trump knew that protesters were armed and that there was not enough security at the US Capitol building.

"If it wasn't because of this brave 25-year-old woman, we wouldn't even know what was happening," the Arizona lawmaker told reporters at the hearing on Thursday, referring to Cassidy Hutchinson. "This is a very sad moment in our country right now."

Gallego, a former US Marine who instructed fellow lawmakers in how to don gas masks during the Capitol attack, was one of several witnesses to the attack in the Cannon Caucus room who expressed shock at the aide's sworn account of that day.

Video: Biggest reveals from Jan. 6 hearings thus far

His remarks came after Cassidy Hutchinson, an aide to former White House chief of staff Mark Meadows, testified that Trump and his White House advisers were informed that protesters on the National Mall were armed and heading to the US Capitol building on Jan. 6 where lawmakers were formalizing the victory of Trump's political opponent.

In gripping testimony before the House Jan. 6 select committee, Hutchinson testified that Meadows and Trump seemed indifferent about the armed and angry crowd and that Trump was "furious" that the crowd area for his speech wasn't filled with people, which he attributed to metal detectors that would deter people carrying weapons.

At one point, she recalled Trump saying, "I don't effing care that they have weapons. They're not here to hurt me. Take the effing mags away. Let my people in; they can march to the Capitol from here. Let the people in."

During that same period, she also recalled the White House staffers being informed that there was not enough security on Capitol Hill to handle the hundreds of protesters making their way into the building.

US Capitol Police Sergeant Aquilino Gonell told Insider that he felt betrayed after hearing Hutchinson recount how Trump and his staffers knew that the Capitol Police were outnumbered and how Trump wanted to march with his supporters.

"Even if you give him the benefit of the doubt that he didn't know, he still didn't do anything to help us," he told Insider. "We wanted to lead the crowd according to the evidence put out today."

Gonell was one of the many officers injured during the January 6 insurrection while attempting to stop the pro-Trump supporters from forcing their way into the US Capitol. An Army veteran who served in Iraq, Gonnell testified in 2021 before the same committee thinking, as he struggled to breath from the crowd's press: "This is how I'm going to die."

More than 140 law enforcement officers were injured during the insurrection.

Read the original article on Business Insider

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Prove it please.  What a BS article and this Rep is no better than MTG.

if you think he gave a crap what happened to those people on the sixth you are an idiot. no other way to say it. you do not march to the capitol chanting hang mike pence only to show up and buy him a beer. man you people kill me. the man has no decency what so ever and it is all documented but you guys do not care. in fact biden is pres because of trump. tell YOU what YOU prove he did not. how about that? i really want to hear this one. he gassed his own supporters for a phony bible wave. he told members of his rally to hit em again and i will get you out of jail. please i am begging you to tell me how this is wrong. all trump cared about was they were not there to hurt him. so lets here it.....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

you do not march to the capitol chanting hang mike pence only to show up and buy him a beer.

Trump did not march to the Capital, don’t conflate the issue.  It is obvious that not all protesters wanted to hang Mike Pence other wise the Shaman would have been more aggressive.  It was a emotional time and stuff gets said during emotional times.  Do you think a lot of pro-choice people want to kill the 5 Justices that overturned RvW?

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

n fact biden is pres because of trump

This is true.

The rest is just out of context hysteria.

4 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Trump did not march to the Capital, don’t conflate the issue.  It is obvious that not all protesters wanted to hang Mike Pence other wise the Shaman would have been more aggressive.  It was a emotional time and stuff gets said during emotional times.  Do you think a lot of pro-choice people want to kill the 5 Justices that overturned RvW?

This is true.

you should google stuff sometimes about mr trump. yall said he was not racist but he fought to keep blacks out of his rentals. you say he is not violent but he sure talks a lot of violence including to hit a guy again. and of course he never bailed the guy out. as for pence show me where one single time...one.... where trump said we do not want to hurt pence or let pence alone. nothing like that. and with trump really what is out of context?  i give it to yall like trump does and you guys get your nickers in a wad but if trump was doing it it was ok because yall certainly did not call him out on one single thing. not one. you know trump raped a kid barely a teenager and it went to court. i read the docs. you identified him. but in all things trump someone threatened the girl and her family and they immediately dropped the charges. go look it up. unless it was removed when trump became pres it is very eye opening. but then you guys all claimed the man that loves to just grab em by the ***** would never do any harm. hell is currently stiffing folks money he owes and you guys proclaimed him the second of jesus which i have found very offensive. but at the end of the day i have never voted for trump and i have never enabled him in any form or fashion. he is a turd and deserves to be flushed. you can take up for the man all you want but with his track record it is a bad look.

57 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you can take up for the man all you want but with his track record it is a bad look.

Get it through your head. Fifty, Trump is not President and I don’t want him to run ever again.  I am not taking up for him and realized he is not good for the country after the 2020 election.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Get it through your head. Fifty, Trump is not President and I don’t want him to run ever again.  I am not taking up for him and realized he is not good for the country after the 2020 election.

That's a flat out lie.  The evidence proving so is sprinkled throughout this forum.

If you believe it you are certifiably delusional.

1 minute ago, homersapien said:

That's a flat out lie.  The evidence proving so is sprinkled throughout this forum.

If you believe it you are certifiably delusional.

You are conflating seeking truth with taking up for him.

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You are conflating seeking truth with taking up for him.

No I'm not.  You are a Trump apologist.

Everyone on this forum sees it.

• Dislike 1

22 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

This is true.

trump wanted badly to go to the capital many times. and i agree there are probably folks that would but trump is the pres and he let the whole country down. also i have never wanted to just go out and hurt or kill trump because i do not like him. i am so anti violence i do not even kid on it here because i would never want anyone seriously thinking i would threaten them. the fact is trump is everything we warned you guys about and many of you want to still play dumb.

• Like 1