i have questions and no answers

aubiefifty

13 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

JP-8 (military grade) is the same as JET-A for commercial use I believe.  Could the oil companies believe commercial aviation fuel will not be attacked like automobile fuels?

It is the military equivalent to Jet-A, however has extra additives not required for commercial aviation. So most likely it is intended for military usage. 

Just now, wdefromtx said:

It is the military equivalent to Jet-A, however has extra additives not required for commercial aviation. So most likely it is intended for military usage. 

Are they interchangeable?

59 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Are they interchangeable?

Technically yes, but as far as regulatory aspects go, I am not sure. 

On 6/22/2022 at 11:21 AM, homersapien said:

But do you have any sort of comment on the substantive points I made?

Of course not. 

What substantive comments??

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

55 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

What substantive comments??

Well, I guess I need to what is meant by a "substantive" comment since you apparently don't know.

A substantive comment is any statement or opinion referring to the actual subject at hand.  (What the original post asks.) In this case, it's about the price of gas and why it's so high. 

If you go back to the beginning and follow the thread you should note that most of the serious thread participates offered opinions about the subject. 

These opinions - right or wrong - actually address the subject at hand and thus, become "substantive" comments.

You - on the other hand - offered nothing of substance, possibly because you aren't smart enough to formulate a reasoned opinion on the subject.  Instead - as you demonstrated - you offered only (extraneous) insults like a monkey flinging poo because they don't have the interest or brain power to do any better.

I hope that helps.

(But I have my doubts.)

Edited by homersapien
  • Haha 1

On 6/22/2022 at 1:40 PM, I_M4_AU said:

Why don’t you have an electric car by now?  Are you in the market?

Well, here's the story:

I got a really good buy-back deal on my 2014 VW diesel Jetta Sportwagen (6 spd) in 2016 and was in the market for another vehicle of the same type.  (I was a Honda guy but they - and almost everyone else but the Germans - had had long discontinued their "wagon" versions in favor of small SUVs, and I hate SUVs.)

Anyway, I lucked into my perfect used car deal.  It was a traveling salesman's 2016 VW Golf Sportwagen, fully loaded with all options, the right color (white), barely a year old but with 38k (interstate) miles, so I got it for a great price.

(And when the Germans apply the moniker "Sports" to something, you can believe them.  For example, it's got a turbocharged 1.8 liter, 6 spd. auto with 225/40 ZR18 tires and handles fantastic.   I've even gotten to appreciate the automatic - which is the first automatic I've ever owned. It also has a killer sound system complete with a Fender subwoofer.) Man, I love this car and it's perfect for me.)

But to answer your question directly, this is undoubtedly the last gas powered car I will ever buy. 

Problem is, I don't put that many miles on a car in a year and it's only 4 years old (w/72k miles) and I generally keep cars a long time.  (Plus, did I mention I love this car?)

Having said that, I am actually looking forward to going full electric.  It would suit my lifestyle perfectly (and I really like the amount of torque those puppies put out. ;))

Bottom line, it probably won't happen for at least a couple of more years.   I'd like the electric equivalent of my Golf Sportwagen (which I haven't seen yet).  But no SUV.

(BTW, I'm about to put my 2005 Honda S2000 on the market. :'(  Only 52,240 miles)

5 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

Refineries are running at 94% capacity. 

A couple of things, one is several plants were permanently closed during the pandemic because demand was so low. 

Second, from what I’ve been told and I have not been able to back it up is that two of our major refineries in Louisiana are only producing JP-8. Therefore if these two plants are included in that 94% the real percentage is way lower. 

If true, let that sink in for a moment…..JP-8 fuel….means we are stockpiling it or it’s going somewhere…Ukraine? 

Did your source tell you the est. lead time for getting a refinery back up to full production?

And I seriously doubt we are sending jet fuel to Ukraine.  But if it would help them, we ought to.

I don't think many people understand the significance of what Putin is trying to do in Ukraine.  This is a major historical inflection point. 

For the most part, Biden has done a good job regarding Ukraine IMO.

Now stockpiling it might be a different issue.

17 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

so we have no safeguards against greed? no

you are going to screw your own country for record breaking profits for a few shareholders? yes

i do not understand. and is this the same people that rarely if ever pay taxes? probably

the rich are not hurt like poor folks are. and that let them eat cake is getting old to me. and the refinery thing has been an excuse off and on for years. i think we had one blow up or burn down and it crippled us then and we still have not done anything about that? don't know

and what do we have to do to get saudi and others we have not pissed off in the middle east to help us? Nothing we can do. Hell, we're already giving them a pass for being just another authoritarian government who murders their political opposition. 

say what you want i believe bombing some of those countries back to the stone age has hurt us. it might not be the main factor or maybe not since i am trying to digest all this mess. and what really pisses me off is i still have not gotten my tax refund which would help me get through this? No doubt our Foreign policy has been counterproductive in our (my and yours) lifetime in hindsight.

it seems this is because of two things. i keep hearing covid and i keep hearing trump gutted the IRS. i know the social security office has not opened back up in my town so i assume it is the that way everywhere. i forget which one but the last time prices got this high one of the presidents went to the middle eat and fixed it. why can we not get it done now? Too late now, but you should have tried to avoid giving the gov't an interest-free loan.

because we raised hell about a murdered journalist?  You think we shouldn't have?  We haven't raised enough hell about it.  I get "real politic" but if you lie with dogs you're gonna get fleas.

jmho

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

The 33% that still thinks he’s doing a good job.  Trump’s not in office; this is all Biden.

So, maybe Trump will get reelected in '24. 

No doubt he'll fix the world single handedly.  And then he'll single-handedly fix our system so he won't ever have to leave office.

It'll be great for everyone! (Well, as long as your're wealthy and white.)

It certainly won't hurt me personally. (I'm already wealthy and white! ;))

24 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Did your source tell you the est. lead time for getting a refinery back up to full production?

And I seriously doubt we are sending jet fuel to Ukraine.  But if it would help them, we ought to.

I don't think many people understand the significance of what Putin is trying to do in Ukraine.  This is a major historical inflection point. 

For the most part, Biden has done a good job regarding Ukraine IMO.

Now stockpiling it might be a different issue.

We didn’t discuss how long it would take to convert back over and restart. My guess is it would take weeks. Keep in mind, this is just what I heard. I have not been able to confirm it through another source. Although my friend that told me is not the type to speculate. 

Let’s say it is true, for starters I don’t see it being used as a commercial fuel because it probably is more expensive than Jet-A due to the additives. I don’t see airlines wanting to pay extra when prices are already high. If it’s destined for military use I see two scenarios, one is we are providing fuel to Ukraine. I’m cool with that. The second is we are stockpiling it and moving it strategically for military action in the near future. Both of which they are going to try to be keeping it hush hush. I’m sure the general public will be mad if these two refineries were contributing to the inflated gas prices and we are send it to Ukraine. 

I think Fidy asked about new refineries, and we haven’t built new ones in ages. The main reason is why would a company want to invest millions or even billions of dollars into a plant when they are under pressure from government agencies and an ever increasing pressure to stop using fossil fuels. What they should have been doing (and finally getting to working on) is real sustainable fuels. It hasn’t been until now though that various industries such as aviation started to help fund the research. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

Well, I guess I need to what is meant by a "substantive" comment since you apparently don't know.

A substantive comment is any statement or opinion referring to the actual subject at hand.  (What the original post asks.) In this case, it's about the price of gas and why it's so high. 

If you go back to the beginning and follow the thread you should note that most of the serious thread participates offered opinions about the subject. 

These opinions - right or wrong - actually address the subject at hand and thus, become "substantive" comments.

You - on the other hand - offered nothing of substance, possibly because you aren't smart enough to formulate a reasoned opinion on the subject.  Instead - as you demonstrated - you offered only (extraneous) insults like a monkey flinging poo because they don't have the interest or brain power to do any better.

I hope that helps.

(But I have my doubts.)

Well, Duh!!

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

We didn’t discuss how long it would take to convert back over and restart. My guess is it would take weeks. Keep in mind, this is just what I heard. I have not been able to confirm it through another source. Although my friend that told me is not the type to speculate. 

Let’s say it is true, for starters I don’t see it being used as a commercial fuel because it probably is more expensive than Jet-A due to the additives. I don’t see airlines wanting to pay extra when prices are already high. If it’s destined for military use I see two scenarios, one is we are providing fuel to Ukraine. I’m cool with that. The second is we are stockpiling it and moving it strategically for military action in the near future. Both of which they are going to try to be keeping it hush hush. I’m sure the general public will be mad if these two refineries were contributing to the inflated gas prices and we are send it to Ukraine. 

I think Fidy asked about new refineries, and we haven’t built new ones in ages. The main reason is why would a company want to invest millions or even billions of dollars into a plant when they are under pressure from government agencies and an ever increasing pressure to stop using fossil fuels. What they should have been doing (and finally getting to working on) is real sustainable fuels. It hasn’t been until now though that various industries such as aviation started to help fund the research. 

JP-8 and Jet-A are almost exactly the same product. Only diff is the name.  Not significantly different. Sometimes the additives are preventative against fuel freezing. Should be unnecessary with all this global warming.

• Haha 1