i have questions and no answers

aubiefifty

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I attack their stupid positions - in this case, proposing that encouraging the transitioning from fossil fuels is bad for the country.

At this point in history it certainly is bad for the country.  You act like everything is wonderful.. Are you the cult leader?

9 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

TO: Republican Study Committee members
DATE: March 25, 2022
RE: A Promise Kept: Biden’s War on American Energy
A Promise Kept:
Biden’s War on American Energy
On September 9, 2019, then-candidate Joe Biden made a clear and unequivocal promise:  I want you to just take a look. I want you to look into my eyes. I guarantee you; I guarantee you, we are going to end fossil fuel, and I am not going to cooperate with them.”

At the Republican Study Committee, we hoped Biden was bluffing. After all, he made all kinds of crazy promises on the campaign trail. But we decided to take a closer look. Biden promised a War on Energy. 15 months into his presidency, gas prices reached an all-time high. Is that because Joe Biden actually kept a promise?
I had my staff do a deep dive, and the results are startling. President Biden has waged an unprecedent, government-wide assault on our nation’s ability to produce cheap, reliable energy.

Below is a list of the Biden administration’s anti-energy actions, side-by-side with the average price Americans paid at the pump that week. Do you notice a trend?
Here’s a comprehensive breakdown of Biden’s fight to “end fossil fuels,” and its costs for American consumers:

https://barr.house.gov/_cache/files/1/7/17ec008b-f7ea-49e6-b614-ea9b4dd12d6f/16871653E745FF6D04D065F4E6DE8623.a-promise-kept-biden-s-war-on-energy-final-002-.pdf

This PDF paints exactly how Biden waged war on the fossil fuel industry.  This chart goes from 1/20/2021 to March of 2020 and lists each time Biden waged his war and the resulting price hike.  This is all before the Ukraine war.

That's just a bunch of partisan garbage.  To say any of those actions  directly caused the price of gas to change is absurd.  It looks like campaign propaganda.

Meanwhile, Biden's policies to reduce our consumption of fossil fuels is the correct policy for the country's long term interests. 

The problem with Biden is that he has not - probably cannot - maintain consistency in those policies due to impact of Russia's war in Ukraine.  If you want to blame a single politician for what we are paying for gas, blame Putin.

Gas Prices Force Biden Into an Unlikely Embrace of Fossil Fuels

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/04/12/us/politics/biden-gas-prices-fossil-fuels.html

Edited by homersapien

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Again, oil production has nothing to do with the price of gas.  The problem is with refining capacity.

See some differing thoughts on refining capacities. Does make sense to me though.

From some of what I have read refinery investment declining pre covid due to the pressure in going away from fossil fuels. At this date no plans to add  refineries. 
https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/white-house-demands-us-refiners-make-more-gasoline-diesel-2022-06-16/

“Even before the pandemic, many refiners were reluctant to replace obsolescent or damaged equipment let alone increase capacity because the prospective transition to more electric vehicles would reduce fuel demand.”

https://www.marketplace.org/2022/05/18/if-oil-prices-are-off-their-peaks-why-are-gas-prices-still-rising/

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

At this point in history it certainly is bad for the country.  You act like everything is wonderful.. Are you the cult leader?

Where did I say "everything is wonderful"?

What "cult"?

You're not very good at this.

29 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The operative phrase here is *long term*.  Why would any President wage a war on the fossil fuel industry by restricting it’s operations and consequently that industry reduced capacity as they saw the writing on the wall,  and then blame that industry because of the reduced capacity.  Americans are not stupid, they see Biden’s weaseling.

Biden has stated he thinks this is.a *blessing in disguise*, but that doesn’t stop the pain the American people are feeling.  The oil industry will take, from what I understand, 18 months to gin up capacity and then what?  Biden pulls the rug out from under them?

The man is a horrible manager of crisis.

Are you in crisis?  You would never have made it through the first half of the twentieth century.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Meanwhile, Biden's policies to reduce our consumption of fossil fuels is the correct policy for the country's long term interests. 

Again with the *long term*.  People are hurting now.  He is oblivious to the pain.  He is singularly focused on his agenda

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's just a bunch of partisan garbage.  To say any of those actions  directly caused the price of gas to change is absurd.  It looks like campaign propaganda.

Did the price of gas rise from the time Biden took office?  Even before the Russia invaded Ukraine?  Why do you think was the cause of the rise in fuel costs during that time?

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

See some differing thoughts on refining capacities. Does make sense to me though.

From some of what I have read refinery investment declining pre covid due to the pressure in going away from fossil fuels. At this date no plans to add  refineries. 
https://www.reuters.com/markets/commodities/white-house-demands-us-refiners-make-more-gasoline-diesel-2022-06-16/

“Even before the pandemic, many refiners were reluctant to replace obsolescent or damaged equipment let alone increase capacity because the prospective transition to more electric vehicles would reduce fuel demand.”

https://www.marketplace.org/2022/05/18/if-oil-prices-are-off-their-peaks-why-are-gas-prices-still-rising/

And then came Ukraine.

We're going through a tough patch as a result.  But the future is clear.

4 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

This is a very good question.  I don't really know the answer but, I believe it is a red herring.

The reason is that, although different refineries are setup for different grades of crude, the industry is not tapping as much of the lower grades that ARE available.  What's really interesting is, the yields are roughly the same regardless of grade.

4 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Where did I say "everything is wonderful"?

What "cult"?

You believe the *long term* is where we should concentrate without a thought for the pain at the pump we are experiencing.  That’s head in the sand type of thinking.  

Biden’s cult.

• Dislike 1

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Again with the *long term*.  People are hurting now.  He is oblivious to the pain.  He is singularly focused on his agenda

Did the price of gas rise from the time Biden took office?  Even before the Russia invaded Ukraine?  Why do you think was the cause of the rise in fuel costs during that time?

Recover losses from the sharp downturn in demand during the early COVID pandemic.  After all, they are one of the 3 most powerful forces in our country.  Their only goal is to maximize profit.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

You believe the *long term* is where we should concentrate without a thought for the pain at the pump we are experiencing.  That’s head in the sand type of thinking.  

Biden’s cult.

Right, a vision of the future is stupid.  We should run on purely short-term thinking. 

As for Biden, I do blame him for not taking the time to explain the situation to the American people and, asking them to sacrifice for the greater good by driving less.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I_M4_AU said:

Biden’s cult.

Actually, over-reacting to immediate pain while neglecting what is in our long term interest is the definition of putting one's head in the sand.

(Kind of like all those gas-guzzling trucks people have been lapping up over the last few years while gas was cheap.  In fact, one might argue that now is that long term future they were ignoring when buying those trucks.)

And seriously, "Biden's cult" :laugh:

How lame.   You folks are just desperate to find some sort of equivalency to the actual true cult leader:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/media/2022/01/09/donald-trump-cult-diane-benscoter-rs-vpx.cnn

"Biden's cult" :rolleyes:    Like I said, you're not very good at this.

32 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Again, oil production has nothing to do with the price of gas.  The problem is with refining capacity.

This is the headline from one of Salty’s links you agreed with:

Column: White House demands U.S. refiners make more gasoline and diesel

"At a time of war," the president wrote, record margins "are not acceptable" and demanded companies increase the supply of gasoline and other refined fuels immediately.

It appears Biden want to increase production.

5 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Right, a vision of the future is stupid.  We should run on purely short-term thinking. 

As for Biden, I do blame him for not taking the time to explain the situation to the American people and, asking them to sacrifice for the greater good by driving less.

And slower.   My fuel efficiency has gone from 29+ mpg to 33+ mpg by simply driving at the speed limit.

3 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

“Driving less”? Have you taken a trip lately? Unlike 2012 appears people not blinking at the pump price. Cuss Joe and fill er up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Recover losses from the sharp downturn in demand during the early COVID pandemic.  After all, they are one of the 3 most powerful forces in our country.  Their only goal is to maximize profit.

Why didn’t this trend happen in 2020?  COVID was still a thing in early 2021.  Their goal is survival and then profits.

Why didn’t this trend happen in 2020?  COVID was still a thing in early 2021.  Their goal is survival and then profits.

Demand bottomed out.  Please read more thoroughly.

8 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

No, but there are situations that can require a short term solution.  Germany is firing up their coal plants in an anticipation of a early cold winter and the fact that they can’t trust Russia.  But only a leader would understand this concept. 

This is the headline from one of Salty’s links you agreed with:

Column: White House demands U.S. refiners make more gasoline and diesel

"At a time of war," the president wrote, record margins "are not acceptable" and demanded companies increase the supply of gasoline and other refined fuels immediately.

It appears Biden want to increase production.

He's pandering to those people - apparently like yourself - who think he needs to be "acting".

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2022/06/20/refineries-profit-gas-prices/

Oil refineries are making a windfall. Why do they keep closing?

Meanwhile, in China:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-06-19/massive-oil-refining-capacity-idle-in-china-even-as-prices-soar

Massive Oil Refining Capacity Idle in China as Prices Soar

Of course, as the article explains, the Chinese refining industry is under command and control by the government.  A system you would apparently prefer by your inference that this is all somehow Biden's fault.

• Facepalm 1

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

No, but there are situations that can require a short term solution.  Germany is firing up their coal plants in an anticipation of a early cold winter and the fact that they can’t trust Russia.  But only a leader would understand this concept. 

What are you trying to infer?

And what does this have to do with our gas prices?

Edited by homersapien

10 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

“Driving less”? Have you taken a trip lately? Unlike 2012 appears people not blinking at the pump price. Cuss Joe and fill er up.

Well, if you can't afford to buy the gas for a trip, you probably can't afford to take a trip to begin with.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Are you in crisis?  You would never have made it through the first half of the twentieth century.

I’m not in crisis, I just can’t stand the ineptness of our Administration on several levels.

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Perhaps.  My concern is less about the short term, inflation, and more about the economic war that is going on, the petro dollar, the many consequences.

Just now, I_M4_AU said:

I’m not in crisis, I just can’t stand the ineptness of our Administration on several levels.

So, exaggerating for effect.

15 minutes ago, homersapien said:

And slower.   My fuel efficiency has gone from 29+ mpg to 33+ mpg by simply driving at the speed limit.

Why don’t you have an electric car by now?  Are you in the market?