Are AR-15’s weapons of war? Here’s what a former Fort Benning commander had to say

37 minutes ago, jj3jordan said:

Yes by banning all guns.  You may be overestimating the effect of your calling anybody a liar.

You are certainly a liar, a habitual liar.  You have no integrity at all.

• Dislike 2

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

Not exactly. 

An assault rifle is obviously much more lethal and effective, which is why it's the standard infantry weapon instead of a pistol. 

And the ballistics aren't even close.

If a Glock is issued to our military for use in training or combat, that alone makes it a weapon of war. 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

If a Glock is issued to our military for use in training or combat, that alone makes it a weapon of war. 

So is a knife but, that is hardly the issue.  Disingenuous, lame word game. 

• Facepalm 1

3 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

You are certainly a liar, a habitual liar.  You have no integrity at all.

I’ll take that as an admission. Your calling everybody a liar has lost its impact. Think of another technique to insult people.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Wonder why they don’t feel safe with right wingers arming themselves to the teeth and excitedly talking about civil war?

Interesting take.  Right wingers have always been armed to the teeth, so that probably isn’t it. Defunding the police and the lack of prosecution of criminals may have a lot to do with people not feeling safe.  Combine that with the knowledge the individual can not depend on the police to show up and neutralize the threat in a timely fashion. 

• Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, jj3jordan said:

I’ll take that as an admission. Your calling everybody a liar has lost its impact. Think of another technique to insult people.

Being insulting is not the point.  That part is regretful.  However, I will point out lies.

You post more lies than truths.  YOU, not "everybody, are a liar.  YOU have built that reputation.

6 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Being insulting is not the point.  That part is regretful.  However, I will point out lies.

You post more lies than truths.  YOU, not "everybody, are a liar.  YOU have built that reputation.

Itch self reflection is a thing. Check it out. God bless.

19 hours ago, wdefromtx said:

My actual point is that a pistol is in no way the equivalent of an assault rifle rifle.  Obviously.

Edited by homersapien
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

My actual point is that a pistol is in no way the equivalent of an assault rifle rifle.  Obviously.

Pretty much common sense. There is a reason AR15 is used in feral hog elimination from helicopters. Fire enough quick enough…”blind squirrel find a nut in forest”.

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Interesting take.  Right wingers have always been armed to the teeth, so that probably isn’t it. Defunding the police and the lack of prosecution of criminals may have a lot to do with people not feeling safe.  Combine that with the knowledge the individual can not depend on the police to show up and neutralize the threat in a timely fashion. 

Right wingers were not armed to the extent they are now when I was growing up. It was neither a fetish nor an obsession.

Truths:

1) We need to do a lot more on training, storing, qualifications before buying wepons.

2) Of all gun deaths, roughly 45K total, some continue to count suicides, roughly 24K in with illegal shootings.

3) Of those shootings, only 3% are done with any style of rifle, including AR15s.

4) the Semi-automatic rifle has been used by civilians since 1907. 

We need top address the people side of this up until Columbine, mass shootings were not really a thing in the US. We have had civilians with semiautomatic weapons since 1907. Shootings only recently became an issue that must be addressed. But we must also realize that the guns have been around for over 100 years and were never an issue until recently. They used to teach gun safety in public schools. Guns werent the problem. People are the problem. Crazy people are the problem. Maybe social media and video games, and horrible music are the problem. But we did not have this issue when most of us were in schools. We had 50-100 guns on campus any day of the week in high school. Trucks had gunracks, pistols were in cars, etc. When we only want to address 3% of the issue, a thinking person would normally have to say WTF? The vast majority of gun deaths in America are in city streets and country roads and done by handguns. Why do we not address THAT?

In 1907...our great grandparents were first able to buy the rifle pictured. The semi-auto Winchester Model 1907.
This is a gun they could buy from a Sears catalogue and have delivered via US Post. It was/ is a semi-automatic, high powered centerfire rifle, with detachable, high capacity magazine.
About 400,000 semi-automatic rifles were produced before WW2. Civilians had hundreds of thousands of these for 40 years, while US soldiers were still being issued old fashioned bolt action rifles.
The 1907 fired just as fast as an AR15 or AK47 and the bullet (.351 Winchester) was actually larger than those fired by the more modern looking weapons..
The ONLY functional difference between the 1907 and a controversial and much feared AR15 is the modern black plastic stock.

No photo description available. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2022 at 10:03 AM, wdefromtx said:

More like we need to see what can be overhauled overall to help the issue. That’s the tricky issue……

But focusing on assault weapons sounds great and makes for good headlines, but really is a small blip on the radar screen compared to handguns and even knives. 

So yeah, after really looking at the statistics it’s not an assault weapon issue. 

On 6/4/2022 at 3:50 PM, I_M4_AU said:

What guns would you allow citizens to own?

you do realize the 2nd was originally for white people only right? fact.............

On 6/4/2022 at 10:15 PM, jj3jordan said:

pot calls the kettle black. dude you bang all over ichy and yet how many times have you called me a liar? and yes i have called you out but lets be honest here you sir are no angel on these boards.

2 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

you do realize the 2nd was originally for white people only right? fact.............

Race bait much?  The Constitution was written for the citizens of the US.  At the time it did not cover slaves and Native Americans. Why would you even bring that in to this conversation?

3 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Race bait much?  The Constitution was written for the citizens of the US.  At the time it did not cover slaves and Native Americans. Why would you even bring that in to this conversation?

because it is the truth.

3 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Right wingers were not armed to the extent they are now when I was growing up. It was neither a fetish nor an obsession.

It is amazing. Numbers of people armed……no real firearms experience. I’ve always had a pump shotgun readily available for home protection, only because I used to turkey hunt way to much. Have been told that best home protection is a pump shotgun and a protective dog. Most people recognize chambering sound of a pump. Not many intruders willing to take on a dog plus shotgun.

• Like 3

Once we (won't happen.....no one really seems to care about the root cause of the issue) attack the real problems we are facing with this increase in violence NO LAW, BAN OR POLITICALLY MOVITIVATED EMOTION SHOT will fix a thing. 

• Dislike 1

2 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Truths:

1) We need to do a lot more on training, storing, qualifications before buying wepons.

2) Of all gun deaths, roughly 45K total, some continue to count suicides, roughly 24K in with illegal shootings.

3) Of those shootings, only 3% are done with any style of rifle, including AR15s.

4) the Semi-automatic rifle has been used by civilians since 1907. 

We need top address the people side of this up until Columbine, mass shootings were not really a thing in the US. We have had civilians with semiautomatic weapons since 1907. Shootings only recently became an issue that must be addressed. But we must also realize that the guns have been around for over 100 years and were never an issue until recently. They used to teach gun safety in public schools. Guns werent the problem. People are the problem. Crazy people are the problem. Maybe social media and video games, and horrible music are the problem. But we did not have this issue when most of us were in schools. We had 50-100 guns on campus any day of the week in high school. Trucks had gunracks, pistols were in cars, etc. When we only want to address 3% of the issue, a thinking person would normally have to say WTF? The vast majority of gun deaths in America are in city streets and country roads and done by handguns. Why do we not address THAT?

In 1907...our great grandparents were first able to buy the rifle pictured. The semi-auto Winchester Model 1907.
This is a gun they could buy from a Sears catalogue and have delivered via US Post. It was/ is a semi-automatic, high powered centerfire rifle, with detachable, high capacity magazine.
About 400,000 semi-automatic rifles were produced before WW2. Civilians had hundreds of thousands of these for 40 years, while US soldiers were still being issued old fashioned bolt action rifles.
The 1907 fired just as fast as an AR15 or AK47 and the bullet (.351 Winchester) was actually larger than those fired by the more modern looking weapons..
The ONLY functional difference between the 1907 and a controversial and much feared AR15 is the modern black plastic stock.

No photo description available. 

Because A: It doesn't advance a larger goal and B: laziness. 

4 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

I have a co-worker who is as left as one can get and he has more guns than I do. STOP

4 minutes ago, wdefromtx said:

Can you cite where it says that in the Bill of Rights? 

No need.....the belief is the belief. I would tend to agree with the notion that the COTUS was written for "white" people.....due to the history of the world during that period of time. What many seem to do with history is distort it to conform to their way of thinking. Much like the slaves in Egypt who built the Pyramids or the slaves of England who built the Castles, people of many colors have had to endure the most savage of human power. 

That said the basis of the document doesn't change.....the times did. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

No need.....the belief is the belief. I would tend to agree with the notion that the COTUS was written for "white" people.....due to the history of the world during that period of time. What many seem to do with history is distort it to conform to their way of thinking. Much like the slaves in Egypt who built the Pyramids or the slaves of England who built the Castles, people of many colors have had to endure the most savage of human power. 

That said the basis of the document doesn't change.....the times did. 

I agree, just a funny place to thrown in race. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Pretty much common sense. There is a reason AR15 is used in feral hog elimination from helicopters. Fire enough quick enough…”blind squirrel find a nut in forest”.

I'm starting to think it's time to retire the phrase "common sense" as no longer relevant. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

Historical context.

2 hours ago, autigeremt said:

I have a co-worker who is as left as one can get and he has more guns than I do. STOP

Well that one dude proves my statement that right wingers are more likely to go overboard on guns was way wrong .🙄