Broderick: Is America headed toward a two-state solution?

John Broderick
Fri, May 27, 2022, 4:01 AM

Unorthodox times may require unprecedented actions. I fear that time may have arrived in America, as painful as it is to acknowledge.

Watching our democracy and its cherished values free-fall dramatically into disrepair, distrust, and dysfunction during President Trump’s time in office, culminating in an insurrection on the U.S. Capitol that he helped organize and encourage, it would be foolish to see those dark days as somehow behind us. Sadly, tens of millions of our fellow citizens embraced those cringe-worthy days as “making America great again.” Bridging that divisive chasm as “one nation under God” may no longer be possible or even advisable.

John Broderick

John Broderick

President Biden is out of central casting for normal, thoughtful, and experienced leadership that allows him to intelligently tackle and discuss the vexing challenges we face at home and abroad after four years of chaos and confusion created by the norm-breaking and law-breaking Trump administration. But truth, competence and inclusion have apparently fallen out of favor these days.

Former President Trump, in all his bombast and disinformation, remains the odds-on favorite to get the Republican nomination in 2024. Apparently under current Republican standards, Trump, despite his four years of careening, reactive, fear-filled, anti-government government is seen by many as the logical answer to our nation’s growing challenges. Indeed, he is seen by many as the only answer. The BIG LIE and the many kooky conspiracy theories it spawned are still very much alive and thriving. It was once said that “truth will set you free.” Republicans, with few exceptions, have now unsubscribed to that maxim. Truth, it seems, is now the first victim in the face of inconvenient facts. What in the world has become of our country and those who purport to lead it? Is this really who we have become?

America in all its greatness cannot survive the centrifugal forces of self-destruction loosed and growing across our land. We have become incapable it appears to address pressing national problems like climate change, voter suppression, assault rifles on our streets, kids being gunned down in our schools, the dangerous rise of white nationalism and antisemitism, and the self-confident smugness of growing ignorance across a host of national issues. American values and common ties that once proudly cemented our diverse nation are constantly being undercut by those who would turn back the clock on American progress and continue to create false-flag culture wars that turn Americans against each other.

Increasingly I don’t recognize my country and its growing tolerance of intolerance and its fear of the truth. What disturbs me most is my nagging belief that we have already become “two nations under God” and that without a shot being fired we might need to make that a physical reality: one nation blue and the other red. One of those new countries (like the one I grew up in) would constantly, albeit imperfectly, strive to address the real needs of its people, understand, harness  and promote its diversity and cherish its democratic values while ever-trying to become “a more perfect union” and the other could salute aggregated power, stifle dissent, declare martial law to quell protesters, build walls at its borders, rewrite history to suit its needs, disregard realities, overturn election results on false claims of voter fraud, disenfranchise women, cut taxes for the rich, arm all its citizens and ignore the global leadership responsibilities of a great nation. Something needs to change and soon or a two-state solution for America may be exactly where we’re headed. Even more unsettling is that a two-state solution may be the only answer to America’s woes. I pray I’m wrong.

John T. Broderick Jr. is the founder of the Warren B. Rudman Center for Justice, Leadership and Public Policy at UNH Law and formerly served as chief justice of the New Hampshire Supreme Court.

This article originally appeared on Portsmouth Herald: Broderick: Is America headed toward a two-state solution?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

John Broderick
Fri, May 27, 2022, 4:01 AM

Unorthodox times may require unprecedented actions. I fear that time may have arrived in America, as painful as it is to acknowledge.

Watching our democracy and its cherished values free-fall dramatically into disrepair, distrust, and dysfunction during President Trump’s time in office, culminating in an insurrection on the U.S. Capitol that he helped organize and encourage, it would be foolish to see those dark days as somehow behind us. Sadly, tens of millions of our fellow citizens embraced those cringe-worthy days as “making America great again.” Bridging that divisive chasm as “one nation under God” may no longer be possible or even advisable.

John Broderick

John Broderick

President Biden is out of central casting for normal, thoughtful, and experienced leadership that allows him to intelligently tackle and discuss the vexing challenges we face at home and abroad after four years of chaos and confusion created by the norm-breaking and law-breaking Trump administration. But truth, competence and inclusion have apparently fallen out of favor these days.

Former President Trump, in all his bombast and disinformation, remains the odds-on favorite to get the Republican nomination in 2024. Apparently under current Republican standards, Trump, despite his four years of careening, reactive, fear-filled, anti-government government is seen by many as the logical answer to our nation’s growing challenges. Indeed, he is seen by many as the only answer. The BIG LIE and the many kooky conspiracy theories it spawned are still very much alive and thriving. It was once said that “truth will set you free.” Republicans, with few exceptions, have now unsubscribed to that maxim. Truth, it seems, is now the first victim in the face of inconvenient facts. What in the world has become of our country and those who purport to lead it? Is this really who we have become?

America in all its greatness cannot survive the centrifugal forces of self-destruction loosed and growing across our land. We have become incapable it appears to address pressing national problems like climate change, voter suppression, assault rifles on our streets, kids being gunned down in our schools, the dangerous rise of white nationalism and antisemitism, and the self-confident smugness of growing ignorance across a host of national issues. American values and common ties that once proudly cemented our diverse nation are constantly being undercut by those who would turn back the clock on American progress and continue to create false-flag culture wars that turn Americans against each other.

Increasingly I don’t recognize my country and its growing tolerance of intolerance and its fear of the truth. What disturbs me most is my nagging belief that we have already become “two nations under God” and that without a shot being fired we might need to make that a physical reality: one nation blue and the other red. One of those new countries (like the one I grew up in) would constantly, albeit imperfectly, strive to address the real needs of its people, understand, harness  and promote its diversity and cherish its democratic values while ever-trying to become “a more perfect union” and the other could salute aggregated power, stifle dissent, declare martial law to quell protesters, build walls at its borders, rewrite history to suit its needs, disregard realities, overturn election results on false claims of voter fraud, disenfranchise women, cut taxes for the rich, arm all its citizens and ignore the global leadership responsibilities of a great nation. Something needs to change and soon or a two-state solution for America may be exactly where we’re headed. Even more unsettling is that a two-state solution may be the only answer to America’s woes. I pray I’m wrong.

John T. Broderick Jr. is the founder of the Warren B. Rudman Center for Justice, Leadership and Public Policy at UNH Law and formerly served as chief justice of the New Hampshire Supreme Court.

This article originally appeared on Portsmouth Herald: Broderick: Is America headed toward a two-state solution?

Same ole liberal mentality.

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

President Biden is out of central casting for normal, thoughtful, and experienced leadership that allows him to intelligently tackle and discuss the vexing challenges we face at home and abroad

I stopped reading after this out right lie. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

One would look like a cross between Cuba and Russia, while the other would look like a large South American country like Brazil.

I don't believe this will happen.  People can't do with their internet service being disrupted, much less real sacrifice.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Typical stuff follows. Trump and his people bad. Other side caring and wonderful. Need change….repent and roll blue or end is at hand.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Typical stuff follows. Trump and his people bad. Other side caring and wonderful. Need change….repent and roll blue or end is at hand.

That is one way to look at it, the partisan way.  The other is a contrast between those who want government to bring about a better society through democracy and, those who wish to use the power of the government to impose their will.  A side that uses real information and appeals to human decency versus a side that uses fear, anger, division.

Neither side can be a force for evil until,,,  that side has the unqualified/unquestioned faith of it's followers.  In my opinion, orthodoxy is the real heresy in both church and state.  Orthodoxy constrains "free" thinking, critical thought.  Orthodoxy is a tool of power.

Trump and, many of "his" people are in fact, bad.  Please, compare Donald Trump with Jimmy Carter and, tell me who is the good man.

People in general know/understand little about economics and even less about politics.  They did know character in the past.  Now, character is moot.  Partisanship has replaced integrity and character.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

That is one way to look at it, the partisan way.  The other is a contrast between those who want government to bring about a better society through democracy and, those who wish to use the power of the government to impose their will.  A side that uses real information and appeals to human decency versus a side that uses fear, anger, division.

Neither side can be a force for evil until,,,  that side has the unqualified/unquestioned faith of it's followers.  In my opinion, orthodoxy is the real heresy in both church and state.  Orthodoxy constrains "free" thinking, critical thought.  Orthodoxy is a tool of power.

Trump and, many of "his" people are in fact, bad.  Please, compare Donald Trump with Jimmy Carter and, tell me who is the good man.

People in general know/understand little about economics and even less about politics.  They did know character in the past.  Now, character is moot.  Partisanship has replaced integrity and character.

they tend to forget most of trumps cronies in jail for being traitors among other things..............

the truth is they do not care if their own people are bad. they never have and never will. trump lost me when he stole from a VA charity. or smear a POW when he lied to get out of serving. the right only cares about money and guns.

24 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

they tend to forget most of trumps cronies in jail for being traitors among other things..............

They were pardoned, just like everyone involved in Iran Contra.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

They were pardoned, just like everyone involved in Iran Contra.

they refused the big shot general who told his lover everything who just so happened to be a spy right? and also not his wife?

3 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

they refused the big shot general who told his lover everything who just so happened to be a spy right? and also not his wife?

Don't know what you are referring to?

1 minute ago, icanthearyou said:

Don't know what you are referring to?

he was one of trumps big dogs. flynn maybe? he went to prison.

ok i got part of it wrong as this did not mention him talking to his sex partner. but here is what i found.............

Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn

Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn flipped on the Trump campaign in December 2017 after pleading guilty to making false statements about his conversations with Russia’s ambassador to the United States weeks before the inauguration.

While he served as Trump’s national security adviser, the former three-star Army general denied asking then-Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak to “refrain from escalating in response to [American] sanctions” the Obama administration had imposed on Moscow for meddling in the 2016 presidential election. Flynn also denied having asked Kislyak to delay a United Nations Security Council vote on Israeli settlements. Both lies were made during an interview with FBI agents on Jan. 24, 2017, the feds said.

Though Flynn agreed to cooperate with Mueller in 2017, the Trumpkin reversed his posture two years later—claiming he was coerced into a guilty plea by prosecutors and federal agents. Earlier this year, Attorney General William Barr appointed a U.S. attorney to review the case and even moved in May to dismiss the charges altogether. Refusing to give in to outside pressure, a federal judge presiding over the case appointed an outside adviser to argue against dismissal, and the case is still alive.

of course jj willl come in and call it all lies.

16 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ok i got part of it wrong as this did not mention him talking to his sex partner. but here is what i found.............

Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn

Former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn flipped on the Trump campaign in December 2017 after pleading guilty to making false statements about his conversations with Russia’s ambassador to the United States weeks before the inauguration.

While he served as Trump’s national security adviser, the former three-star Army general denied asking then-Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak to “refrain from escalating in response to [American] sanctions” the Obama administration had imposed on Moscow for meddling in the 2016 presidential election. Flynn also denied having asked Kislyak to delay a United Nations Security Council vote on Israeli settlements. Both lies were made during an interview with FBI agents on Jan. 24, 2017, the feds said.

Though Flynn agreed to cooperate with Mueller in 2017, the Trumpkin reversed his posture two years later—claiming he was coerced into a guilty plea by prosecutors and federal agents. Earlier this year, Attorney General William Barr appointed a U.S. attorney to review the case and even moved in May to dismiss the charges altogether. Refusing to give in to outside pressure, a federal judge presiding over the case appointed an outside adviser to argue against dismissal, and the case is still alive.

of course jj willl come in and call it all lies.

You yammering about McChrystal?

5 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

8 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Same ole liberal mentality.

17 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

The article was partisan. I realize a distinct divide of sides looking at the fringes. Do not believe the majority of people are as divided as Broderick portrays. 

the article said the country is getting more and more partisan to the point it hurts the country. i agree completely.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

The problem is that no one that can think ON EITHER SIDE can admit this. 

trump is the worst thing there has been in the WH.
Biden, has almost totally failed the middle class. His poll numbers are as bad or worse then trumps ever were. 70-80% of the Indies wont support him anymore. 
Biden et al had their chance to govern AAANNNDDD time is running out. Quit talking down to the American People, LEAD!!! Make some political deals. 

STFU & DO SOMETHING!!!!

19 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

hell trumps lies never bothered you dude.

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

The problem is that no one that can think ON EITHER SIDE can admit this. 

trump is the worst thing there has been in the WH.
Biden, has almost totally failed the middle class. His poll numbers are as bad or worse then trumps ever were. 70-80% of the Indies wont support him anymore. 
Biden et al had their chance to govern AAANNNDDD time is running out. Quit talking down to the American People, LEAD!!! Make some political deals. 

STFU & DO SOMETHING!!!!

who? biden or ichy?

7 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

who? biden or ichy?

Biden et al was in the post.

Brother, are you alright?

1 minute ago, DKW 86 said:

Biden et al was in the post.

Brother, are you alright?

actually no. ex number two is struggling with her cancer. it has gotten worse. i cannot get up to see her and i have no one to watch my rescues. one of the spots on her liver has grown dramatically. i could make you a list but that and killing kids is enough for now.

• Sad 1

44 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

hell trumps lies never bothered you dude.

This is not a Biden lie, it is a lie about what Biden is.

• Like 1