Summer workout question

Win4AU

I’m reading these articles about summer workouts about to begin.  They talk about them being largely player run but they also mentioned the coaching staff getting a first hand look at players like Calzada and the Qbs getting equal playing time.  Do these practices take place at the facilities?  Can the coaches watch but just can’t interact?  What are the rules on coaches coaching during these workouts?  Seems like a grey area since real practices I believe have a certain amount of time allotted to them by the NCAA and don’t begin till after media days in August.

• Like 1

Good question that I'm curious on as well. I have no real clue, but I do think the coaches can participate during conditioning sessions. If not we violated a ton of rules last year since Harsin was constantly videoed running stadiums with them. In terms of actual practices with a ball, I think you're correct that they're player led and take place at the complex.

I think the coaches "watch" from their offices or even the sidelines but cannot coach. I would guess that a lot of coaches "give pointers" here and there, if you know what I mean. But knowing Harsin he's pretty by the book, and with them looking for cause a few months ago I doubt he'd risk anything. Interested to see insight from others on this  

• Like 1

Just a guess. 

They could video tape individual player workouts in the gym and on the field.  i.e. 7 on 7 skill player sessions going through the playbook, QB/WR/TE throwing catching sessions, etc.  Coaches watch film and critique each player and address issues as needed. ??

Only strength and conditioning coaches can supervise non-voluntary, countable summer workouts.  These required, countable workouts and other non-voluntary activities (i.e., film watching) can only happen 5 of 7 days in a week, 2 hours per day max, 8 hours per week max.  No footballs are any other sport related equipment allowed.  Athletes are allowed to participate in voluntary, non-countable activities as well.  Again, S&C staff can supervise for safety reason, but cannot report back to otf coaches on voluntary activities.  With this in mind, I assume the Harsin videos from last summer were part of voluntary, athlete-initiated summer activities that would be deemed countable since he was present.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, drɘxɘl said:

Only strength and conditioning coaches can supervise non-voluntary, countable summer workouts.  These required, countable workouts and other non-voluntary activities (i.e., film watching) can only happen 5 of 7 days in a week, 2 hours per day max, 8 hours per week max.  No footballs are any other sport related equipment allowed.  Athletes are allowed to participate in voluntary, non-countable activities as well.  Again, S&C staff can supervise for safety reason, but cannot report back to otf coaches on voluntary activities.  With this in mind, I assume the Harsin videos from last summer were part of voluntary, athlete-initiated summer activities that would be deemed countable since he was present.

Appreciate you letting us know how things work.

New NCAA regulations re summer workouts

New NCAA regulations allow for eight hours of workouts/practice when Harsin and the coaching staff can be present. Players can conduct training on their own without coaches around whenever they choose. As a bonus of the new rules, the Tigers are allowed two hours of on-field training with a football each week.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, AUloggerhead said:

New NCAA regulations re summer workouts

New NCAA regulations allow for eight hours of workouts/practice when Harsin and the coaching staff can be present. Players can conduct training on their own without coaches around whenever they choose. As a bonus of the new rules, the Tigers are allowed two hours of on-field training with a football each week.

We need it. Hope we have tigers stepping up and holding each other accountable. This is where championships are won. 

• Love 1