Auburn QB Race

aubiefifty

Auburn QB Race: Finley, Calzada the big names in contention

Jeff Speegle
3 minutes

For the first time in three years, there's drama in the Auburn quarterback room. Bo Nix has moved on to Oregon, leaving the door wide open for a guy to take the job and run with it. Junior TJ Finley appears to be the frontrunner. Finley filled in for Bo Nix in the Tigers' win over Georgia State after an ineffective Nix was benched. He led the game-winning 98-yard TD Drive to beat the Panthers. He also took over the starter's job after Nix broke his ankle in the loss to Mississippi State. Finley was 0-3 as a starter in losses to South Carolina, Auburn and Houston in the Birmingham Bowl. In 2020, Finley started five games for LSU. While Finley is winless as Auburn's starter, he's still a known commodity to his teammates.

"Of course there's always competition, especially in the spring," offensive lineman Kilian Zierer said. "Because there's more time. In the spring we don't have to get ready for a game. I don't think it matters too much to the O-line. If you know how TJ plays and his cadences, that definitely helps, especially when the new guys come in."

Another guy with starting experience is Zach Calzada, the transfer from Texas A&M. After starter Haynes King suffered a season-ending injury against Colorado, Calzada took over as the QB1 for Texas A&M last season. In 11 games he completed 56.1% of his passes for 2,185 yards and 17 touchdowns. Calzada posted a career high in passing yards, completion percentage, and quarterback rating in a 41-38 win over No. 1 Alabama. He also got a win over Auburn.

SEE ALSO: Anderson on Bama defense in 2022: "Mean, play fast, hit people in the mouth"
SEE ALSO: Auburn upset by Miami 79-61 in NCAA Tournament

Judging from what Coach Bryan Harsin said about Calzada on the Next Round show last week, Calzada will be highly considered for the job.

"One, you know he's got a very strong arm," he's accurate." Harsin said. "I think he's competitive. He's very tough. You watch the game he played against Alabama. He played really well in that game, did some very good things. When I look at quarterbacks, I look for guys who can throw, who can move, who can do all those things to play the position. But there's also a mentality that goes along with it, which I think Zach has and all the guys who are at quarterback for us have and that's toughness."

Calzada will be limited this spring due to offseason surgery on his non-throwing shoulder.

• Thanks 1