A new era of pay-for-play is here for college football

aubiefifty

3 hours ago, W.E.D said:

He's clearly got some bias towards baseball.

I’m not just talking about baseball.   If you or any one else doesn’t see that this isn’t what NIL was supposed to be, I don’t know what to say.   You guys are so fixated on football and making sure that guys are getting paid.   Meanwhile, the soccer parents are paying for their daughter to play for Auburn.   If you can’t see that this is completely stupid, I don’t know what to tell ya.   

And DAG keeps asking if I were offered money to play would I take it.  Of course I would,  to help cover the cost of my school.   

18 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I’m not just talking about baseball.   If you or any one else doesn’t see that this isn’t what NIL was supposed to be, I don’t know what to say.   You guys are so fixated on football and making sure that guys are getting paid.   Meanwhile, the soccer parents are paying for their daughter to play for Auburn.   If you can’t see that this is completely stupid, I don’t know what to tell ya.   

And DAG keeps asking if I were offered money to play would I take it.  Of course I would,  to help cover the cost of my school.   

What don't you get about NIL has nothing to do with scholarships and/or the University?  I'm sorry your child or your players parents daughters who play a non-revenue generating sport can't get their entire college paid for them. 🤷‍♂️  That's an NCAA issue, not NIL.

What's more, there is nothing stopping these girl soccer players from making money from NIL either.  They aren't blocked from it.  They could sell products on their IG or TikTok to help pay for school.  Just sounds like sour grapes.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Cam didn’t come to Auburn just because of his love for Auburn

He and his father both say Cam chose Auburn because AU had the supporting cast to be a championship contender. If you're saying he got money, then turn your proof over to the NCAA. Their investigators and every wanna be journalist in the sports world spent the better part of a year trying to find anything that would indicate that money changed hands. Nobody ever found a smidgen of proof of that.

Mississippi State offered money through a booster Kenny ( ?) and he got smacked. But Auburn got zero punishment and a letter saying Auburn was clean.

Edited by Mikey
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, aubaseball said:

I completely disagree.  They don’t deserve it.   You earn it.   And that’s the problem.   A kid coming out of high school and never playing a down of college football doesn’t deserve a million dollars.   Meanwhile, the track, baseball, tennis, swimming and so on, have to pay to play sports.   Why don’t they deserve a full scholarship?   Until that is fixed, everything else is just bullsh*t.   

I agree with the sentiment but I doubt it's ever going to happen.

I know some won't like the idea because some are against any regulation for NIL's, but I think any player getting $500K or more from NIL shouldn't be on scholarship. Basically an NIL cap for scholarships. Those getting the most money from NIL should have to pay their own way in college. The players are getting money based off of which school's fans/boosters will provide them with the best NIL deal. The fans/boosters are helping provide these deals to try and steer them to their school or keep them at their school so they won't transfer. I don't think it's fair that they get to make unlimited amount of $$$ through NIL based off a schools fans/boosters and still get a free ride scholarship on top of that.

Edited by Auburnfan91
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If you're saying he got money, then turn your proof over to the NCAA.

Alright turning my proof in now 

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I know some won't like the idea because some are against any regulation for NIL's, but I think any player getting $500K or more from NIL shouldn't be on scholarship. Basically an NIL cap for scholarships. Those getting the most money from NIL should have to pay their own way in college. The players are getting money based off of which school's fans/boosters will provide them with the best NIL deal. The fans/boosters are helping provide these deals to try and steer them to their school or keep them at their school so they won't transfer. I don't think it's fair that they get to make unlimited amount of $$$ through NIL based off a schools fans/boosters and still get a free ride scholarship on top of that.

I think what is fair for the Goose (College Coaches) is certainly fair for the Gander (college players). We have let the market set the price for Coaches forever. Now time for the players. Colleges (donors) just have to decide if they are going to play or not.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Alright turning my proof in now 

Good. I'd appreciate it if you would send a copy to me via PM. Also, Sports Illustrated, Thayer Evans, Pat Forde and Pete Thamel would like copies so they could see how much time and money they wasted on a year's wild goose chase when the proof was right there, obvious to any casual fan.

9 hours ago, aubaseball said:

As far as the other sports, if you think it is fair that the University is making all that money but can’t afford to give full rides in other sports, you either didn’t play or don’t have a kid trying to get a scholarship in those sports.  

I see this type of argument all the time and it makes no sense to me. If you are determining what is logically right or wrong, fair or unfair, why would it matter what your personal investment is in the issue? 

You're basically saying, "if you don't agree with me, it's because you are not as biased as I am."

6 hours ago, cbo said:

I see this type of argument all the time and it makes no sense to me. If you are determining what is logically right or wrong, fair or unfair, why would it matter what your personal investment is in the issue? 

You're basically saying, "if you don't agree with me, it's because you are not as biased as I am."

That’s not even close to what I’m saying.  I know it’s my opinion but I’m talking about what the university should do.   If there is all this money that everyone says there is, then why isn’t it given out. I don’t see how anyone can think it’s ok for someone to put on an Auburn uniform and put just as much effort into their sport as football or basketball and not have school paid in full.  

10 hours ago, W.E.D said:

What don't you get about NIL has nothing to do with scholarships and/or the University?  I'm sorry your child or your players parents daughters who play a non-revenue generating sport can't get their entire college paid for them. 🤷‍♂️  That's an NCAA issue, not NIL.

What's more, there is nothing stopping these girl soccer players from making money from NIL either.  They aren't blocked from it.  They could sell products on their IG or TikTok to help pay for school.  Just sounds like sour grapes.

It all goes hand in hand.   It’s the whole reason players are allowed money now.  They kept saying a scholarship wasn’t enough, blah blah blah, now they get scholarship plus stipend.   I’m talking about fixing the problem of having full scholarships for all sports.   Do you know how much money is wasted on football recruiting?  

8 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Agreed that players getting 6 figure deals should not be on scholarship. Don’t know if it’s that easy. Scholarship could be part of the deal? Could get murky in the negotiations between school, payer, and student athlete. 

Tons of variables at play you know good and well some of these guys would take it as unfair or some other type of garbage. 

11 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Then stop complaining. That’s hypocritical at best 

12 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

It all goes hand in hand.   It’s the whole reason players are allowed money now.  They kept saying a scholarship wasn’t enough, blah blah blah, now they get scholarship plus stipend.   I’m talking about fixing the problem of having full scholarships for all sports.   Do you know how much money is wasted on football recruiting?  

It literally doesn't.  NIL is a separate revenue stream from the NCAA.  Baseball players are allowed to earn NIL.  Nothing is stopping them from getting their own deals.

You're conflating two different issues.  If the schools were paying players, you might actually have a point.  But they aren't.

21 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

I don’t see how anyone can think it’s ok for someone to put on an Auburn uniform and put just as much effort into their sport as football or basketball and not have school paid in full

You must live in lala land. That’s not how anything every works in the real world from occupation, to academics , all the way to athletics. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

Then stop complaining. That’s hypocritical at best 

There is nothing preventing him or his players from getting NIL money.  That's what doesn't make sense.  

22 minutes ago, aubaseball said:

That’s not even close to what I’m saying.  I know it’s my opinion but I’m talking about what the university should do.   If there is all this money that everyone says there is, then why isn’t it given out. I don’t see how anyone can think it’s ok for someone to put on an Auburn uniform and put just as much effort into their sport as football or basketball and not have school paid in full.  

Is there any examples if other universities that pay full scholarships for the other sports. Seems to be way they all handle it. These type of situations usually seek their own budget levels rationed by that particular sports revenues.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

There is nothing preventing him or his players from getting NIL money.  That's what doesn't make sense.  

Yeah I’ve actually seen the soccer , volley ball players, softball players really benefitting from this because they already have a large social media base tbh. I am sure their TikToks are on fire. That would’ve never happened in years past.

15 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

Is there any examples if other universities that pay full scholarships for the other sports. Seems to be way they all handle it. These type of situations usually seek their own budget levels rationed by that particular sports revenues.

It's NCAA mandated.  It's nationwide.  It isn't Auburn dictating scholarship allocation.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yeah I’ve actually seen the soccer , volley ball players, softball players really benefitting from this because they already have a large social media base tbh. I am sure their TikToks are on fire. That would’ve never happened in years past.

One of the biggest NIL deals first announced were for a pair of women's basketball players from Fresno State.  They are banking a million+ per year.

I'm sure they would have rather had that extra couple grand in state tuition tho.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, W.E.D said:

It's NCAA mandated.  It's nationwide.  It isn't Auburn dictating scholarship allocation.

I’m pretty sure there are some baseball players on full scholarships with other players on partial. 

For simple conversation purposes, how do you guys feel about this situation:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sports/latest-nil-impact-acc-player-sits-out-of-practice-then-transfers-following-compensation-dispute/

Slightly related, would you feel comfortable if players leave Auburn for other schools who have reached out saying they can pay more for their NIL?  Would you count that as tampering in a sense?

Edited by abw0004

12 minutes ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m pretty sure there are some baseball players on full scholarships with other players on partial. 

They have a certain number they can hand out.  It's 11.7 across the 27 and you have to at least get 25%.  I believe some schools in non-backward ass locations that have lottery funded state scholarships end up getting full rides b/c it's covered in different ways.

9 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

For simple conversation purposes, how do you guys feel about this situation:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sports/latest-nil-impact-acc-player-sits-out-of-practice-then-transfers-following-compensation-dispute/

Slightly related, would you feel comfortable if players leave Auburn for other schools who have reached out saying they can pay more for their NIL?  Would you count that as tampering in a sense?

That's probably tampering if a coach tells it to another player directly, but really no different than coaches using an intermediary and trying to get players to transfer to their school.

Honestly, if we're crying about either of those situations happening and not doing it ourselves, we just have ourselves to blame.  We need to be stepping up on the NIL front.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

Who regulates that?

Seriously, the "non-revenue" generating sports do well at Auburn and I'm sure the university would pay the full ride in a heartbeat if they could. Something is preventing them from offering full scholarships and that something prevents  every school as well, not just SEC and not just Auburn.  What's preventing every student-athlete from getting a full ride in every sport? 

Edited by JerryAU