5 Freshmen who could play this season

aubiefifty

5 Freshmen who could play for Auburn this season

By Nubyjas Wilborn | nwilborn@al.com
5-6 minutes

Auburn is into the second week of an allocated 15 practices culminating with the April 9th spring game at Jordan-Hare Stadium. Bryan Harsin enters his second season on the Plains with question marks at several positions, including starting quarterback since Bo Nix transferred to Oregon.

Roger McCreary, Smoke Monday, Zakoby McClain, Chandler Wooten, T.D. Moultry and Brodarious Hamm are some of the players Auburn needs to replace on the roster. Replicating their production presents a challenge for Harsin. A challenge also offers opportunities for new faces seeking gridiron glory.

Playing as a freshman in the crucible of the Southeastern Conference is a lofty goal. Auburn has a few athletes that might hit the field when the season starts September 3rd against Mercer at Jordan-Hare.

“You’re coming in here to really earn a spot through these 15 practices. I think that goes for everybody because that’s what it should be,” Harsin said. You’re going to have some guys that have played a lot of years, and you’re going to have guys that are pretty known as starters and all that, but you’re also, I think you’re not going to get the best out of anybody if you go in there and say, ‘Well, this is how it is, and you’re not going to get a chance to compete.’ "

“Whoever the best players are, like if they earn it and they’re the best players, and they’re the ones we feel most comfortable with, and they can go out there and make the plays necessary that we need them to make, and the players feel good about those guys on the field too, and there’s some chemistry, then those are going to be the ones who play.”

Let’s look at five first-year students who can immediately impact the Tigers.

Read More Auburn football: Eric Kiesau wants Tank Bigsby to be ‘foundation’ on which Auburn’s offense is built

Observations from Auburn’s fifth practice of the spring

Can Bryan Harsin “Griddy” into Auburn football wins?

We will list the players alphabetically because we don’t want to create a false hierarchy. Also, this list doesn’t include linebacker Robert Woodyard because he isn’t on campus yet. Running back, Damari Alston is on campus but is working slowly through spring camp. Enyce Sledge is a 6′4 305 defensive lineman who will join the squad for fall workouts, putting him at a disadvantage for early playing time. However, don’t be surprised if either finds a way into playing despite the immense depth at each position. Okay, here we go.

WR, Jay Fair

Auburn lost Demetris Robertson, Caylin Newton, Elijah Canion, and Kobe Hudson to either the transfer portal or graduation after last season. Losing those players creates room for Fair to step up, and he’s been performing well in practice. Fair caught 13 touchdowns and posted nearly 900 yards on 46 catches as a high school senior in Texas. He’s a speedy athlete who can create separation against SEC corners and safeties.

QB, Holden Geriner

TJ Finley is currently getting most of the first-team reps based on what AL.Com has observed in the viewing windows for media. Robby Ashford and Dematrius Davis also see reps ahead of the freshman quarterback from south Georgia. However, Harsin has played a freshman quarterback with success at Boise. If Geriner continues to make throws in practice, he will remain in contention for a starting quarterback role to replace Bo Nix, who transferred to Oregon. Geriner has a strong arm and can move the pocket to evade sacks.

Powell Gordon, LB

The 6′3 210 pounds Auburn High alum started his relationship with Auburn from his childhood. His family regularly tailgates at games. Gordon has been seeing reps in spring football. Linebacker is a deep position for the Tigers led by Owen Pappoe. However, Gordon has the size and speed to perform on a high level.

JD Rhym, CB

The Valdosta native is one of several cornerbacks seeking to replicate the production of All-American McCreary at Auburn. Rhym has the speed and instincts of a talented corner. He’s done well in reps and has gotten raving reviews for his work ethic during spring workouts.

Caleb Wooden, Safety

Wooden had an interception and a fumble recovery in the first spring practice.

“Caleb Wooden — we talked about making a first impression in the team meeting,” Harsin told reporters after the first practice. You get one shot to do that. Caleb Wooden had a scoop-and-score and a pick today.”

He’s a willing tackler and can cover receivers, tight ends, and running backs out of the backfield. As a freshman, Wooden is 6′2 185 pounds with room to gain more strength as he matures.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn for Alabama Media Group.

• Thanks 1

I'm excited about Caleb Wooden.  He may be our next great safety, but he could just as easily grow into a backer

• Like 1

The player in this group that surprised me was Powell.  I liked him when we signed him but really thought he was a Redshirt type player that would take a year or two to get bigger.  Last year some thought even though we signed him as at LB that Edge Rusher is where he would end up.  We need LB and Edge Rusher depth so if he can progress enough to get PT at either position that will be a big plus.

Wooden was underrated and I am not surprised by how well he is doing.

Rhym seems to be living up to his rating at a position of need CB.

Fair coming in early with his speed and he already ran clean routes would not surprise me if he plays a good bit this year.

Geriner unless he just blows the others away I would prefer he gets a Red Shirt year and not get thrown to the wolves as a True Frehman.

• Like 1

I think the chances we see Holden at all next year is pretty small.  I think there were probably some better candidates to choose from than go with the talking point of "QB".

I bet we see a lot of Ausberry and Kelly next season.