McLoofus

10 minutes ago, bigbird said:

NyEoUuMkAiNcNk WsOmUaLlDl BkEi PtRtOeUnDs

Yes, of course, thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, abw0004 said:

I am not sure why Saban needs to be brought into this but I can also show you instances of where he does care, even as recently as this year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zo5q1BV9jbI.  That should not matter though.  You can and should personally sit down with every player that committed to playing for your program.  It is possible and happens all of the time.  It is the same in business.  I know plenty of business owners of companies well over 100 employees that know every single person and met their spouses.

So Saban changed in his later years. 🤔

Edited by JuscAUse!

2 hours ago, Didba said:

I think you misunderstand.  https://broncosports.com/sports/football/roster/2017 

I wasn't necessarily speaking to the actual boise region but to the players he had there.

Take a look at that roster, very few kids that would have the same socioeconomic underpinnings that come with living poor, rural, in the south, and only being a generation removed from having relatives that lived during full blown Jim Crow. (not trying to get political but its important to the discussion).

There are a ton of California kids on that roster.  I only looked at one year but it's probably safe to say that most of the kids he had at Boise did not have the same socioeconomic background as some of the kids at Auburn.

Interesting conversation. As different as Alabama and California are, I'm not sure there is a huge difference in the fundamental needs of 18-22 year old's who are away from home for the first time. They definitely have racism, poverty, family issues, sickly grandparents, etc. in CA. I also noticed a lot of kids from TX on the Boise roster. And most of the kids were further away from home than they are at Auburn. 

I'm not claiming to have the answer. The culture in the south is different and maybe that's what Harsin is adjusting to the most. Maybe his plan all along was to come in extremely tough to set a standard and then ease up.

He does seem to be moving in the right direction, but I don't blame anyone who is not excited to hear he has "shown that he cares lately." We are only getting fluff articles this time of year anyway. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Frickin bird talk

I'll put it in terms you'll understand...

tomb-gettyimages-181956818.jpg 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

9 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

I’m waiting for an interpretive post from Didba.

There is actually a message hidden in all that gobbledygook but it's gibberish when read without background info

Edited by Didba
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Didba said:

There are a ton of California kids on that roster.  I only looked at one year but it's probably safe to say that most of the kids he had at Boise did not have the same socioeconomic background as some of the kids at Auburn.

True. But I checked several of his rosters and he brought in a lot of kids from Compton, Fresno, Oakland, Dallas and Houston. I have to believe many of those kids came from really bad socioeconomic conditions as well, and he was able to get them to move to Boise, Idaho. There’s obviously a difference in inner city and rural, but I feel like some underestimate Harsin’s relatability to those not like him. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Gowebb11 said:

True. But I checked several of his rosters and he brought in a lot of kids from Compton, Fresno, Oakland, Dallas and Houston. I have to believe many of those kids came from really bad socioeconomic conditions as well, and he was able to get them to move to Boise, Idaho. There’s obviously a difference in inner city and rural, but I feel like some underestimate Harsin’s relatability to those not like him. 

NIce, appreciate you pulling that info.  At this point, I'll say I was just offering conjecture based off a player's interview.  We will never truly know what the heck was going on we just have to guess.  But I do think it's safe to say he didn't just figure out he needs to show care for people.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

Scrolling through this thread, I am perplexed by the notion some have that Harsin is just now learning to care for players. There’s a lot of ways for a coach to care for his players. Creating an inclusive and welcoming family atmosphere is one. Getting to know their parents is another. But there are other ways. Pushing a player from good to great and making him a multi millionaire is one(life changing for the player and his family). Working a player “like a dog” so he learns about the work ethic and discipline to become a champion on and off the field is another. I think Harsin brought his ways of caring into a culture that was very used to another way. A lot of players left. A lot chose to stay. Seems to me the players and the coach are still learning each other. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t care about them. 

Well some of the confusion is because we have an AU player literally saying those words in this article. 

“Players want to play for coaches who care aboutthem. Coach Harsin, he’s shown that he cares lately.”

Its the word “lately” that would imply he wasn’t doing that before and that’s straight from a respected current player. Now I know that is probably a little out of context and maybe not what Pritchett meant to imply but it could be a reason for the confusion on Harsin just now learning to care. 

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, Didba said:

There is actually a message hidden in all that gobbledygook but it's gibberish even when read without background info

It pays to have a lawyer read your contracts so you actually are aware of what they say.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

Well some of the confusion is because we have an AU player literally saying those words in this article. 

“Players want to play for coaches who care aboutthem. Coach Harsin, he’s shown that he cares lately.”

Its the word “lately” that would imply he wasn’t doing that before and that’s straight from a respected current player. Now I know that is probably a little out of context and maybe not what Pritchett meant to imply but it could be a reason for the confusion on Harsin just now learning to care. 

I think it’s about the showing rather than the caring.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NoALtiger said:

And that’s why you shouldn’t take one portion of an article to formulate a conclusion. Marcus had a very rational quote that I think many of us hypothesized about the reality of the situation.

I also find it interesting when people (not saying you) pass judgement on his blind spot. I can guarantee you if we took a look at your life, we could find areas where you lack communication, being personable, etc. Heck, some of y'all are in therapy right now because you are in conflict with your significant other, family members or inner circle for this very reason, yet be the first to say how you would act around 80 odd something young adults and their parents. Growth is instrumental and I applaud him for humbling himself and being willing to do so

Edited by DAG
  • Like 3
  • Love 2

20 hours ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

I promise I’m going to leave you alone, @Mikey, but this is what I’m talking about when it comes to positives. Even if Harsin turns out to be a horrible football coach, he’s learning and changing. Reading that article should make make anyone happy. And if the team is responding so well to it, it may help avoid collapses this season. The players all raved that he was an excellent football coach; they just weren’t sure if he was a caring person. If he can truly be both, then I really don’t see why he can’t actually be our next “Saban.” 

There is no doubt that improving Harsin's public image is a good thing. Whether that and similar statements and observations about improvements translate into a better win/loss record remains to be seen. I'll remain skeptical about this staff unless and until the on-field results are better.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DAG said:

And that’s why you shouldn’t take one portion of an article to formulate a conclusion. Marcus had a very rational quote that I think many of us hypothesized about the reality of the situation.

I also find it interesting when people (not saying you) pass judgement on his blind spot. I can guarantee you if we took a look at your life, we could find areas where you lack communication, being personable, etc. Heck, some of y'all are in therapy right now because you are in conflict with your significant other, family members or inner circle for this very reason, yet be the first to say how you would act around 80 odd something young adults and their parents. Growth is instrumental and I applaud him for humbling himself and being willing to do so

Yes I agree completely. Just making an observation because when I read the article the first time that quote immediately jumped out to me and I thought I bet someone will take that to a place Pritchett really wasn’t intending. Common sense should tell folks coaches can’t get to this point in a career without caring for those around them (even Saban), some just have a different way of showing it and that way may work better at some places than others. Harsin seems like a normal reasonable guy and I’m sure he gets it. He’s adapting right before our eyes and it’s very refreshing imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mikey said:

There is no doubt that improving Harsin's public image is a good thing. Whether that and similar statements and observations about improvements translate into a better win/loss record remains to be seen. I'll remain skeptical about this staff unless and until the on-field results are better.

Skepticism/negativism seems to be your normal take on anything related to AU football. You exercise those muscles well. You must be in summer workouts to get ready for fall.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

Skepticism/negativism seems to be your normal take on anything related to AU football. You exercise those muscles well. You must be in summer workouts to get ready for fall.

Mikey walks around yelling conspiracy theories to work out instead of lifting weights like the rest of us...

I think this relating to players is way overdramatzied.   I have seen coaches that are considered players coaches.  Some were very good and some were very bad.  I have seen coaches that were considered aloof standoffs and nothing but business coaches again some were good and some were bad.  

What is going to determine whether Harsin succeeds is whether he can adapt to the SEC.  He has to recruit at a high level, he has to be able to implement SEC style game plans and be able to recognize what our opponents are running defensively and call plays to take advantage of those defensive.  That is going to be the determinant factor of whether Harsin succeeds at Auburn.

Edited by Carnell
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

That, my friend, is a totally fair position. I’m cautiously optimistic that things will be better. We’ll find out soon enough though. 

On 3/25/2022 at 2:24 PM, bigbird said:

NyEoUuMkAiNcNk WsOmUaLlDl BkEi PtRtOeUnDs

Most sense he has made in all the years I've been on this board

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, SumterAubie said:

Most sense he has made in all the years I've been on this board

I thought you'd like that.

• Haha 1

On 3/25/2022 at 2:27 PM, Hank2020 said:

I’m waiting for an interpretive post from Didba.

he is waiting on some of my special blend to arrive before he gets down to the bear bones of this thing.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Hank2020 said:

you guys miss the point. mikey caught hell over gus and people rode him really hard. i have no idea if he deserved it or not but all he is doing is taking shots back. that is my take on this and he will probably ride that horse until harsin proves on the field he is a winner.

• Haha 1