Kiesau wants Tank Bigsby to be ‘foundation’ on which Auburn’s offense is built

aubiefifty

Eric Kiesau wants Tank Bigsby to be ‘foundation’ on which Auburn’s offense is built

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com
4-5 minutes

Tank Bigsby spring practice

Auburn running back Tank Bigsby (4) works on footwork drills during spring practice Friday, March 18, 2022, in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Eric Kiesau and the rest of Auburn’s offensive staff spent a good portion off the winter months poring over NFL film.

The goal? Study up and figure out the best way to emphasize and highlight the skillset of Auburn running back Tank Bigsby. As the Tigers’ new offensive coordinator, Kiesau is making his top priority building the team’s offense around its best weapon — a 6-foot, 213-pound junior running back.

Read more Auburn football: Observations from Auburn’s fifth practice of the spring

Can Bryan Harsin “Griddy” into Auburn football wins?

Eric Kiesau hopes his actions speak louder than words as Auburn’s new OC

“You need to have a foundation; you need to put your feet on something, and Tank is a big part of that,” Kiesau said. “I’m excited about it. We’re going to do some things differently to kind of fit his running style.”

Bigsby has been Auburn’s best player on offense in each of his first two seasons, both under different offensive coordinators. As a freshman in 2020, he was the SEC’s Freshman of the Year after rushing for 824 yards and five touchdowns in 10 games while averaging 6.04 yards per carry. He followed it up last season with 1,099 yards and 10 touchdowns — becoming the program’s first 1,000-yard rusher since Kerryon Johnson in 2017 — on 4.94 yards per carry.

Auburn finished each of those seasons ranked 67th nationally in rushing offense, and the Tigers were particularly inconsistent last season against top-level competition. Auburn had a combined 141 yards rushing on 98 carries (1.44 yards per attempt) in losses to Georgia, Texas A&M and Alabama.

That was under former offensive coordinator Mike Bobo, who was fired at the end of the regular season, less than one year into a three-year contract with the program. Following a rocky offseason search for an offensive coordinator—with Austin Davis accepting the job in December before resigning in late January—Bryan Harsin tabbed Kiesau for the job. Kiesau previously worked as offensive coordinator for Harsin at Boise State but first came to Auburn in an analyst role. He was promoted to wide receivers coach four games into last season and is now back at offensive coordinator while also coaching quarterbacks.

Since Kiesau was on staff with the Tigers last season, some continuity should be expected in terms of what the team’s offense will look like. There will be a lot of similarities, Kiesau said, but expect more of a pro-style approach compared to the more pro-style/spread hybrid that Bobo tried to implement.

“Our approach moving forward is to really set the foundation with the run game,” Kiesau said. “I think we got some really talented backs, and we’ll start from there. Then we’ll kind of grow, see where it goes from there, but that’s going to be the foundation where we start.”

Kiesau has communicated that with Bigsby, as well as the rest of Auburn’s offensive personnel, as the veteran assistant is high on the Tigers’ backfield depth — with sophomore Jarquez Hunter behind Bigsby, and the team also bringing in four-star freshman Damari Alston this summer. While Hunter had a strong debut season last fall, earning SEC All-Freshman honors, and Alston brings upside to the position, Kiesau is not shying away from his expectations for Bigsby this season.

“I’m expecting a lot out of him, to be honest with you,” Kiesau said. “…We’re going to start this thing with a downhill, physical run game. We’re going to come after you. That starts with those guys in the backfield, and obviously Tank being the forefront of that. I’m excited about it…. I’m excited to see where he goes; he’s going to be a big part of what we’re doing.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

Finally! I imagine that's why they are looking at NFL ways to utilize the running game with weak OL. 

• Like 3

That’s a good start. Tank is a star. I hope he can shine. 

I feel like I say it in every post but when Auburn can run the ball and play good to great defense, they compete for the West. Big challenge this year but you never know. 

Going to have to get creative on getting the running game going. We have the same OL as the last 3 years now? They haven't been able to run it consistently with that line yet. But it can be done if coaches think outside the box a little. Maybe pull in some of the concepts Ga St used on us for example. 

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

We’re going to start this thing with a downhill, physical run game. We’re going to come after you. That starts with those guys in the backfield

Does it start in the backfield? It starts up front. It continues with scheme and non-predictable play calling. Then its about the guy in the backfield. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Right. I mean how many meetings do you think they had to have to come up with this strategy.

Apparently at least one more than Bobo. He missed that meeting

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Hopefully they don’t try to run him into the ground. Tank is a beast, he’s going to get his regardless but what would take him to the next level is something that’s  out of his control and that’s the talent on the OL.

You can study different concepts all you want but there won’t be significant change with the current OL. I just want them to pass it to him a little more. They did it in the bowl game and it worked

“You need to have a foundation; you need to put your feet on something, and Tank is a big part of that,” Kiesau said. “I’m excited about it. We’re going to do some things differently to kind of fit his running style.”

This is something else I definitely don’t remember the previous staff doing, and it’s such a breath of fresh air. Tailoring your offense to your best players instead of plugging your players into your offense (and calling your playmakers back to the sidelines after a good play)—what a concept.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

38 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

This is something else I definitely don’t remember the previous staff doing, and it’s such a breath of fresh air. Tailoring your offense to your best players instead of plugging your players into your offense (and calling your playmakers back to the sidelines after a good play)—what a concept.

This is what I think kept Tank from going into the transfer portal.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Mike Tyson agrees with your thatement.

Why would Mike Tyson agree?

54 minutes ago, 80Tiger said:

Mike Tyson agrees with your thatement.

That's great! 

Needed that chuckle, thanks

• Like 2

Keasaus statement is like saying you want it to be cold at the north pole. Absent some (QB) miracle or repeat of Harsins Bobo booboo,Tank will be the focal point until overuse injuries catch up (see e.g. Kerryon).