A closer look at QBs, spring practice notes

aubiefifty

Auburn spring practice notes: A closer look at QBs, 1st- and 2nd-team offense

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

5-6 minutes

T.J. Finley looks to throw. Auburn football scrimmage 2 on Friday, Aug. 18, 2021 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Auburn returned to the practice field Monday afternoon to kick off the second week of spring practice. The media was granted a 30-minute viewing window to observe the team’s fifth practice of the spring, with local reporters watching six periods of drills on the outdoor practice field.

Monday’s session provided a closer look at Auburn’s quarterbacks through the first week, as well as a glimpse at the first and second units on offense. Here are AL.com’s observations from Monday afternoon. As a disclaimer: Auburn and coach Bryan Harsin have requested that reporters do not mention players who are injured or restricted (i.e. not participating or in non-contact jerseys) or whether a play is missing from practice.

Read more Auburn football: Can Bryan Harsin “Griddy” into Auburn wins?

Auburn’s inexperienced, thin group at receiver buoyed by offseason decisions

Eric Kiesau hopes his actions speak louder than words at Auburn’s new OC

-- On the quarterbacks: The Tigers’ fifth practice provided a closer look at Auburn’s quarterback rotation, with T.J. Finley still taking first-team reps, followed by redshirt freshman Dematrius Davis and Oregon transfer Robby Ashford with the second team. Freshman Holden Geriner got third-team work.

After doing some skeleton drills with their respective units, the groups broke out into position-specific drills. Auburn’s quarterbacks spent a good portion of the viewing window working on accuracy on the run, with sprint-outs to the right and rollouts to the left while aiming at a target toward the sideline. Harsin and offensive coordinator Eric Kiesau paid keen attention to the group during these periods.

From this untrained eye, Finley appeared to be the most impressive quarterback of the group during the drill, with the junior proudly boasting after nailing the target on several throws. Ashford was right there with him. The Hoover native displayed impressive velocity and accuracy on many of his reps during the drill. Davis had his share of quality throws, though there were a couple of low passes that prompted Harsin to encourage him to “get the ball up more.”

-- After the on-the-run drills, quarterbacks closed the viewing window throwing various routes against air to receivers, tight ends and running backs. Again, Ashford’s velocity and ball placement stood out, though Finley still looked like the more polished passer of the group. On one deep ball to the sideline from Finley to Malcolm Johnson Jr., the receiver made a nice grab, but Harsin urged him to high-point it next time and go up and snatch it out of the air.

-- The first-team offensive line included Austin Troxell at left tackle, Kameron Stutts at left guard, Nick Brahms at center, Keiondre Jones at right guard and Alec Jackson at right tackle. Kilian Zierer rotated in at left tackle for reps with that unit, while Jalil Irvin also switched in for reps at center.

-- The second-team offensive line had Brenden Coffey at left tackle, Jeremiah Wright at left guard, Tate Johnson at center, Colby Smith at right guard and Garner Langlo at right tackle.

-- The running back rotation on Monday saw Tank Bigsby with the first-team offense, followed by Jordon Ingram with the second group and Sean Jackson with the third unit.

-- The primary group at receiver for the first-team offense saw Shedrick Jackson at the X, with Malcolm Johnson Jr. at the Z and Tar’Varish Dawson in the slot/H. The second unit included Ze’Vian Capers on the outside, with freshman Jay Fair in the slot, along with a walk-on on the other side of the formation. Wide receivers coach Ike Hilliard, who was one of four assistants to meet with the media earlier in the day, let slip that Ja’Varrius Johnson was not currently practicing but was expected back soon.

-- At tight end, John Samuel Shenker got the first-team reps, followed by Tyler Fromm and then Landen King and Luke Deal.

-- During position drills, new linebackers coach Christian Robinson spent a period working on drills that focused on lateral movement followed by wrapping up ball-carriers in space.

-- At the edge position, coach Roc Bellantoni spent time running the group through bags drills, including a triangle drill that was intended to help players work on back-to-back pass-rushing moves in sequence. The group rotated through the bags, with Derick Hall, followed by Eku Leota and Dylan Brooks, then walk-ons Hayden Brice (who moved from receiver this offseason) and Tyler Ward.

-- At linebacker, Cam Riley and Wesley Steiner got the first-team reps, with UNC transfer Eugene Asante rotating in. Defensive coordinator Jeff Schmedding said last week that linebacker Owen Pappoe is not practicing right now after undergoing a procedure to help heal the injury that sidelined him much of last season.

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I saw this:

-- The second-team offensive line had Brenden Coffey at left tackle, Jeremiah Wright at left guard, Tate Johnson at center, Colby Smith at right guard and Garner Langlo at right tackle.

It caught my attention because in previous discussions it was always Colby Smith as a tackle and that Garner Langlo would be a guard but could play tackle. Both Smith and Langlo have the height and wingspan to play tackle and with the weight gain both are big enough to be SEC linemen whether IOL or Tackle.  Also I was surprised that Zierer was not starter at one of the tackle spots.

I would love to hear that Wright, Smith, Johnson, and Langlo are getting good enough to compete for starting positions then I would feel a little better about next years starting unit. Even so will probably need a minimum of  2 but probably 3 SEC capable starters in the Portal for next year. 

• Like 2

Wait what happened to Calzada? Is he missing spring ball due to an injury or something?

Edited by shabby
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, shabby said:

Wait what happened to Calzada? Is he missing spring ball due to an injury or something?

he had an op on his non throwing shoulder

Edited by aubiefifty
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, shabby said:

His non-throwing arm was injured before he arrived. Because of that he will not be doing any contact drills.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, aubiefifty said:

--

-- --

--

--

-- At the edge position, coach Roc Bellantoni spent time running the group through bags drills, including a triangle drill that was intended to help players work on back-to-back pass-rushing moves in sequence. The group rotated through the bags, with Derick Hall, followed by Eku Leota and Dylan Brooks, then walk-ons Hayden Brice (who moved from receiver this offseason) and Tyler Ward.

--

Damn depth is so thin for pass rushers we have walk on receivers getting reps

• Like 2

TJ is being a team leader and he is doing/saying all the right things but this is practice we're talking about. Make them all live to see who performs best when the bullets are flying. TJ should get better with good coaching but I am not sure he is a true QB1. I could be wrong but I am excited to see DD and Ashford. I believe those two can do some things with their feet that will help Auburn this year especially if the Oline is suspect. 

1 hour ago, Sizzle said:

Damn depth is so thin for pass rushers we have walk on receivers getting reps

It's bad for sure. I've read possibly two portal guys, and I'm sure if Roc strikes out in the portal they will move Cam Riley and/or Joko Willis over there for fall. If we're trotting out those walk ons come September that's a disgrace 

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

It's sad when a one of the 12 teams to win a natty this century is having to resort to walk-ons in the 2 deep. 

Or when the National Champions started a walk-on QB and he won the MVP of the NC.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, au302 said:

It's bad for sure. I've read possibly two portal guys, and I'm sure if Roc strikes out in the portal they will move Cam Riley and/or Joko Willis over there for fall. If we're trotting out those walk ons come September that's a disgrace 

Maybe. Then again, Kevin Greene, Jason Miska and Danny Skutack were walkons. If any guys like that are out there, I’d love to have them walk on at Auburn.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TexasTiger said:

Maybe. Then again, Kevin Greene, Jason Miska and Danny Skutack were walkons. If any guys like that are out there, I’d love to have them walk on at Auburn.

Danny Skutack, A true blast from the past

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Danny Skutack, A true blast from the past

Dude had a mean streak and a wicked sense of humor. I remember him verbally jostling with Brother Jed.

The Rundown has mentioned DD having accuracy issues in drills the past 2 podcasts.  Said Holden looked sharp.
 They went as far today as to say Holden might be the QB by mid season.  TJ can look great in practice but needs to show it in game action.  Calzada missing spring isn’t great

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dilligas said:

Or when the National Champions started a walk-on QB and he won the MVP of the NC.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. 

Quoting the exception not the rule really doesn't look good. 

58 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

The Rundown has mentioned DD having accuracy issues in drills the past 2 podcasts.  Said Holden looked sharp.
 They went as far today as to say Holden might be the QB by mid season.  TJ can look great in practice but needs to show it in game action.  Calzada missing spring isn’t great

Interesting. Locked on podcast also said D was struggling from what they saw compared to the others. Also that Ashford stands out athletically. TJ apparently went 23/25 on an accuracy drill and Holden was 13/13

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GunsmithAU said:

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. 

Quoting the exception not the rule really doesn't look good. 

Actually I agree with your point about Walk-ons on a two deep, and a starting QB walk on is certainly an exception.