Can Bryan Harsin ‘Griddy’ into Auburn football wins?

aubiefifty

1. Auburn Football

Can Bryan Harsin ‘Griddy’ into Auburn football wins?

Updated: Mar. 21, 2022, 6:03 p.m. | Published: Mar. 21, 2022, 4:40 p.m.
Bryan Harsin on

Lah Griddy and coach Bryan Harsin doing the GRIDDY during Auburn football practice on Saturday, March 19, 2022 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU AthleticsTodd Van Emst/AU Athletics

shares

Bryan Harsin takes football seriously. His 64-17 record coaching at Boise State before moving to the Plains last season demonstrated an ability to compete as a coach. However, after a 6-7 season and a University-led inquiry into the program based on accusations made against Harsin taught him that there’s more to winning than X’s and O’s in the Southeastern Conference.

During Auburn’s February inquiry into the program, one of the accusations thrown at Harsin was that he lacked personality and took football too seriously. His strongest detractors agreed that Harsin has a brilliant football mind; however, his relatability was questioned.

Harsin made a move on Saturday to lighten up practice by inviting Louisiana native Allen “Griddy” Davis, a friend of former LSU receiver Ja’Marr Chase. Davis created the dance as a tribute to the Nae Nae dance that drove people wild in mid 2010′s on social media. Chase brought the dance to the NFL as a touchdown celebration playing with the Cincinnati Bengals.

Read more Auburn football: Auburn’s inexperienced, thin WR group buoyed by key offseason decisions

Eric Kiesau hopes his actions speak louder than words as Auburn’s new OC

Bryan Harsin on Auburn’s QB competition: “Their life’s a documentary right now”

Davis and Harsin connected to surprise the team.

Davis aka Lah Griddy later confirmed Harsin nailed the Griddy.

“I didn’t realize who it was at first,” recently promoted Edge coach and special teams coordinator Roc Bellantoni said on Monday. “I thought it was one of the parents or recruits or something, then we figured it out, and it was cool. It was a fun way to start practice. He brought a little energy and juice. He was fired up, and it was fun.”

Bellantoni has 28 years of coaching experience, including 15 years as a defensive coordinator and four years as a special teams coordinator. His praise for Harsin went beyond his dancing skills. After working as Utah State’s defensive coordinator, Bellantoni came to Auburn last season as a defensive analyst.

“I had other options, but I wanted to come to learn from Harsin,” Bellantoni said. “I got to learn a lot last season about running a program. He’s the best football coach I’ve been around. It was great to learn from him.”

Bellantoni has worked with Gary Anderson and Mike Leach, among other revered names in coaching. Naming Harsin as the best coach he’s worked with required further questions. Bellantoni was ready.

“It’s the organization skills,” Bellantoni said. “I know a lot of guys who’ve had a lot of success at different places but not to the level he’s had at Boise with less than ideal resources. He pulls people in the same direction and speaking the same language.”

Bellantoni, defensive line coach Jimmy Brumbaugh, linebackers coach Christian Robinson, wide receivers coach Ike Hillard met with reporters on Monday at the athletic facility before practice. Each said they didn’t Griddy themselves but appreciated seeing Harsin’s fun side. Even more the respect his football acumen.

Brumbaugh was an assistant coach at Louisana Tech when Harsin was an offensive coordinator at Bosie when the Broncos beat La Tech 45-35 in 2009 at Boise.

“I loved how advance his offense was,” Brumbaugh said. “He’s someone I always wanted to work with. I’m blessed to get the chance to come back to my alma mater and coach with a great offensive mind.”

Harsin doing a viral dance won’t directly translate into wins. However, it’s a start toward reviving a fanbase looking for something to rally around.

“He’s a great guy to work for,” Hilliard said. “He’s very organized and detailed but makes time for fun.”

The Tigers will continue with spring practice until April 9th A-Day game at Jordan-Hare.

Nubyjas Wilborn covers Auburn Alabama Media Group.

Edited by aubiefifty

there was video of harsin doing the giddy but it messed up on me. here is HOW to do the giddy if you want to picture what harsin was doing. it kinda reminds me of bird because we all know biurd is the word......lol