Derick Hall showing 'the way'

aubiefifty

Derick Hall showing 'the way' for young Auburn defenders

ByJason Caldwell

3-4 minutes

Jimmy Brumbaugh Discusses His Return to Auburn

AUBURN, Alabama—One of the most experienced and productive players on Auburn’s defense the last three seasons, senior edge linebacker Derick Hall has taken on a much different role this spring as one of the leaders for the Tigers. Learning the way from guys like Marlon Davidson and Derick Brown when he arrived on campus as a true freshman three years ago, Hall said for him it’s all about passing that knowledge on and helping players understand what it takes to succeed in the Southeastern Conference.

“It’s fun,” Hall said. “Just looking back at having Marlon and Derrick here showing us the way and how to do things, just being able to take that knowledge we have and disperse it to other guys and help other guys along the way has been fun. Going out to practice and being comfortable while other guys look like a deer in headlights is pretty funny because they won’t know the way.

“I’m just trying to teach them the way, just teach them to calm down and take it play-by-play and down-by-down. That has been very beneficial for us. Just trying to get those other guys up to par and in the swing of things playing SEC ball.”

That leadership and ability to impact other people is what Hall is all about, and it hasn’t gone unnoticed. Even though he just arrived on campus a few months ago, former Georgia player and Florida assistant Christian Robinson said Robinson is a guy he points to as an example of what it takes to be the guy in the Southeastern Conference.

“That’s it, he’s got it,” Robinson said of Hall. “He’s somebody that loves this place. You can see it in his support of everything Auburn, in the community, taking time to talk to young people. In the whole mentality of ‘you’ll be judged in this life by how you affect other people,’ he lives it. He’s not afraid to have tough conversations with people.

“I’m excited just to see our team as the guys at every level of the defense continue to push forward and grow. We, as coaches, have to continue to develop that. We’re not just lifting weights, we’re not just practicing plays, we’re preparing young men to be grown men. We want to win games here, it’s a must, but it’s about creating young men that can go be leaders and beyond.”

For new position coach Roc Bellantoni, what he’s seen out of Hall is the willingness to learn new things. It’s something that makes life easier as a coach when one of your best players is also your hardest worker.

3COMMENTS

“I think it’s a group that is bought into everything I have to say,” Bellantoni said. “They’ll do everything I ask them to do. I think they know that when I’m asking them to do something, it’s to make them better.

“Even Derick, who has played a lot of football, is craving information. He’s craving new ways to do things. I’m really impressed by how they’ve shown up to practice every day.”

">247Sports

Maybe it is the regular spring hype but I think this defense with players like Hall leading the way will be really good. If O will hold up their end so D is not on the field 3/4's of the game we might actual have a chance to be decent this year.

Edited by AuburnNTexas
  • Like 1

This quote really caught my eye.

It wasn’t something head coach Bryan Harsin or the defensive players on Auburn’s roster anticipated happening.

Edited by toddc