Elvia Díaz, Arizona Republic
Fri, March 4, 2022, 9:00 AM·2 min read
  • Donald Trump
  • Donald Trump
    45th President of the United States
  •  
  • Mark Brnovich
    American lawyer and politician

Trump's supposedly impenetrable border wall has been breached more than 3,000 times over the past three years, according to The Washington Post.

Trump's supposedly impenetrable border wall has been breached more than 3,000 times over the past three years, according to The Washington Post.

I’m cracking up over the fact that smugglers have breached Trump’s border wall more than 3,000 times over the past three years.

It’s true. The $15 billion wall, which Trump claimed over and over again that Mexico would pay for, “is no match for a $15 hand saw.”

Even cheaper tools probably would have poked holes in it.

The jaw-dropping discovery came courtesy of The Washington Post, which detailed the cracks and breaches along the supposedly impenetrable wall with Mexico.

The Post’s scoop, based on unpublished data from U.S. Customs and Border Protection, also showed that the government spent $2.6 million to repair the breaches during fiscal years 2019 to 2021.

“Smuggling gangs typically cut the barrier with inexpensive power tools widely available at retail hardware stores, including angle grinders and demolition saws,” the Post reported.

What will GOP candidates say about the wall now?

A United States border agent reaches a hand through a hole cut in the border wall separating the United States and Mexico on Dec. 29, 2021. The hole was likely cut to allow migrants to illegally enter the U.S. near Sunland Park, New Mexico, the agent said.

A United States border agent reaches a hand through a hole cut in the border wall separating the United States and Mexico on Dec. 29, 2021. The hole was likely cut to allow migrants to illegally enter the U.S. near Sunland Park, New Mexico, the agent said.

The fact that smugglers are easily breaching the expensive border wall isn’t a laughing matter.

What’s laughable is the parade of conservative Arizonans running for governor, U.S. Senate and other seats tripping over each other to snap pictures of themselves or record videos with the border wall as a backdrop.

Every one of them, from Kari Lake to Blake Masters to Matt Salmon to Mark Brnovich to Karrin Taylor Robson, are promising to either finish the wall or miraculously secure our southern border with Mexico.

What are they going to say now?

They’ll still blame President Joe Biden for smugglers’ audacity to cut through the barrier, though they did it under Trump, too.

Maybe 'Arizona steel' could make it stronger?

And they’ll perhaps say that America needs to build an bigger and more “beautiful” wall than the world has even seen to stop the “invasion” of hungry men, women and children fleeing their violent or impoverished countries.

Whatever they say, you can bet they’ll say it pacing along the wall or pointing to it.

And if they’re truly lucky, their camera might, just might, catch a glimpse of the smugglers’ hand-sawing through the fence bollards that cost American taxpayers billions of dollars.

But hey, maybe the Arizona steel that Kari Lake promised to use to finish the wall can keep “bad hombres,” as Trump called Mexicans, out.

What a joke.

Elvia Díaz is an editorial columnist for The Republic and azcentral. Reach her at 602-444-8606 or elvia.diaz@arizonarepublic.com. Follow her on Twitter, @elviadiaz1.

Subscribe to get more opinions content.

This article originally appeared on Arizona Republic: Trump's border wall was supposed to be impenetrable. What a joke

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Okay. So what do we do then? 

Two million stopped while illegally entering US from Mexico in 2021 | Washington Examiner

Here's Official Estimates that 2M entered the US last year. What do we do?

Help people in need.  It is our calling.

8 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Help people in need.  It is our calling.

True, but you dont have be brain dead about it. But what do we do? How much of American Resources are you willing to spend? How many do you want to take in?

If there is a legit political issue, I and the rest of America are fine with it. 

Attitudes of Mexican Americans toward irregular immigration - PubMed (nih.gov)

Telephone and personal interviews were conducted in Hidalgo and Travis counties, Texas, with Mexican-Americans. Virtually all respondent groups oppose an increased rate of immigration, consider illegal immigration to be an important problem, support stricter enforcement of immigration laws, and believe that undocumented workers take jobs no one else wants.

21 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

True, but you dont have be brain dead about it. But what do we do? How much of American Resources are you willing to spend? How many do you want to take in?

If there is a legit political issue, I and the rest of America are fine with it. 

Attitudes of Mexican Americans toward irregular immigration - PubMed (nih.gov)

Telephone and personal interviews were conducted in Hidalgo and Travis counties, Texas, with Mexican-Americans. Virtually all respondent groups oppose an increased rate of immigration, consider illegal immigration to be an important problem, support stricter enforcement of immigration laws, and believe that undocumented workers take jobs no one else wants.

I am not sure we should count the costs.  But, I'll play along.  What are the costs?

Do we need more workers?

Have immigrants proven to be good citizens, good workers, add to the tax base?

With help, rather than hindrance, would their transition be easier, faster, cheaper, more successful?

Aren't some industries actually helping to smuggle immigrants in?

Now, how much are you willing to spend to keep them out and, for what reason?  Perhaps that is the better question.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, icanthearyou said:

I am not sure we should count the costs.  But, I'll play along.  What are the costs?

Do we need more workers?

Have immigrants proven to be good citizens, good workers, add to the tax base?

With help, rather than hindrance, would their transition be easier, faster, cheaper, more successful?

Aren't some industries actually helping to smuggle immigrants in?

Now, how much are you willing to spend to keep them out and, for what reason?  Perhaps that is the better question.

I am willing to listen to ANYTHING that helps to straighten out the problem. Since you will not talk even one number, like most of America, you have not thought this thru far enough. I guess.

The answer to the Immigration issues here in America probably cant be found here. They are found in Central America where the drug lords reign and millions live in poverty and chaos every day. Without addressing WHY they are coming here, you cannot realistically even engage in a conversation to try and fix it. But sending back 900K or more every year back into the same failed environment they fled is just an humane waste of time. Sending back 900K a year when we get almost 2M per year coming in is not working at all. Biden and Harris have been total jokes here. trump was a disaster but at least he was trying something other than to ignore the issue. It was one of only 2-3 things the idiot actually got right.

Edited by DKW 86

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

I am willing to listen to ANYTHING that helps to straighten out the problem. Since you will not talk even one number, like most of America, you have not thought this thru far enough. I guess.

The answer to the Immigration issues here in America probably cant be found here. They are found in Central America where the drug lords reign and millions live in poverty and chaos every day. Without addressing WHY they are coming here, you cannot realistically even engage in a conversation to try and fix it. But sending back 900K or more every year back into the same failed environment they fled is just an humane waste of time. Sending back 900K a year when we get almost 2M per year coming in is not working at all. Biden and Harris have been total jokes here. trump was a disaster but at least he was trying something other than to ignore the issue. It was one of only 2-3 things the idiot actually got right.

You may be correct.  I don't think so.

I believe this is NOT a political issue.  It is contrived as one.  It plays to fear, anger, bigotry. 

I believe that we should help people who are in distress.  We have the resources.  They are not the burden you are pretending they are.

Most importantly, I believe Jesus spoke directly on this specific issue.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

Okay. So what do we do then? 

Two million stopped while illegally entering US from Mexico in 2021 | Washington Examiner

Here's Official Estimates that 2M entered the US last year. What do we do?

most illegals sneak in through the border guard posts because they cannot stop near the traffic they want to. but 2m did not come over the wall david. also knowing they now dig tunnels that rival anything the enemy built in nam. to be honest i am not sure what steps they should take but all those billions were basically wasted. if you want a great read and insight on how all this works and why we are getting bombarded go read the power of the dog by don winslow. then read the next two called the cartel and the border. it is basically the godfather trilogy done mexican style. it is historical fiction and it tells you every single thing you need to know. do you remember the dea agent the cartels murdered? they had a doctor there and his job was to keep this agent alive for as long as possible while they basically skinned him alive among other things so they could inflict more pain and suffering on this guy. and it is a true story. as in everything it is the poor that suffer all the horror and outrage while only wanting to get their children to a safer place.

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

So how many have you taken into your home?

come on that is bull. you claim to be concerned so how many have YOU taken in david? see how that works? instead of taking shots why not tell us what you think would work?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

most illegals sneak in through the border guard posts because they cannot stop near the traffic they want to. but 2m did not come over the wall david. also knowing they now dig tunnels that rival anything the enemy built in nam. to be honest i am not sure what steps they should take but all those billions were basically wasted. if you want a great read and insight on how all this works and why we are getting bombarded go read the power of the dog by don winslow. then read the next two called the cartel and the border. it is basically the godfather trilogy done mexican style. it is historical fiction and it tells you every single thing you need to know. do you remember the dea agent the cartels murdered? they had a doctor there and his job was to keep this agent alive for as long as possible while they basically skinned him alive among other things so they could inflict more pain and suffering on this guy. and it is a true story. as in everything it is the poor that suffer all the horror and outrage while only wanting to get their children to a safer place.

I don’t know how we are supposed to be arguing while we actually agree. The cartels and the lawlessness is exactly what I am talking about. If you want to ease the issues at the border, then we have to address the issues in Central America. Anything less is really just wasting our time. Some, even on the Left  seem to think all we have to do is ignore the facts and look away until the next election. Biden deported more in 2021 than ever have in a decade. So, solving the border crisis is just another thing we, the Left are just lying to the American people about. KH giving a speech where she tells them to not come obviously did not work. 

Edited by DKW 86

57 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

I don’t know how we are supposed to be arguing while we actually agree. The cartels and the lawlessness is exactly what I am talking about. If you want to ease the issues at the border, then we have to address the issues in Central America. Anything less is really just wasting our time. Some, even on the Left  seem to think all we have to do is ignore the facts and look away until the next election. Biden deported more in 2021 than ever have in a decade. So, solving the border crisis is just another thing we, the Left are just lying to the American people about. KH giving a speech where she tells them to not come obviously did not work. 

Should continue to pump money into these countries and, watch while it is siphoned off by leaders who are actually working with the cartels?  That has proven to be a futile, costly effort. 

The poor desperate people who come to our border on foot aren't the issue. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

it is a serious problem and i am not sure america alone can solve it. we also cannot rely on a lot of these third world countries to do the right thing if we send them money or food either. i am not sure nato could help. at the end of the day most of these folks just want a better life for themselves and their children just like americans do.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

it is a serious problem and i am not sure america alone can solve it. we also cannot rely on a lot of these third world countries to do the right thing if we send them money or food either. i am not sure nato could help. at the end of the day most of these folks just want a better life for themselves and their children just like americans do.

I believe the real answer lies in tying our economic and foreign policies to our stated principles instead of the desires of the capital class.  The vast amount of poor immigrants have done little other than to help this country.  They have assimilated and paid taxes. 

• Like 1

On 3/6/2022 at 2:48 PM, icanthearyou said:

They are not the burden you are pretending they are.

Certainly not a burden to the construction industry if you have been awake and aware the past 30 years. Unbelievable work ethic and “salt of earth people”. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

Should continue to pump money into these countries and, watch while it is siphoned off by leaders who are actually working with the cartels?  That has proven to be a futile, costly effort. 

The poor desperate people who come to our border on foot aren't the issue. 

The point just wooshed right over your head” what does this mean? - Quora

Who are you talking to? Sending more $$$? WTF are you talking about? Who said that? It wasnt me.

Man, you are having a conversation with yourself and tying your own bad opinions to others. 

IMHO, It is time we engaged with Central America in some sort of expanded Monroe Doctrine. We have to do something to help the people where they are and help them become more safe, secure, educated, cared for. Being "compassionate" and watching them be so miserable is completely wrong. Giving in to the cartels is spineless. We do not have to open our borders to everyone in the world. A nation that cannot control their own borders is not a nation for long. If we had not listen to Bush43 and gone into some craphole country in the ME we possibly could have greatly succeeded at "Nation Building" here in the Americas with people that actually WANT FREEDOM. If that means using some military muscle, so be it. 

Edited by DKW 86
  • Facepalm 1

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

I would like us to take a real swing at it. We just wasted 20 years and $2.5TN on the ME. I think we can get CA to at least stabilize. We can also end the misery of the, lets face it, refugees. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DKW 86 said:

I would like us to take a real swing at it. We just wasted 20 years and $2.5TN on the ME. I think we can get CA to at least stabilize. We can also end the misery of the, lets face it, refugees. 

Nothing will change until we conduct our trade policy and, our foreign policy in alignment with our true principles.  Since the end of WWII the capitalist have controlled both.

We are taught to fear the immigrants who come here on foot, by boat, the poor, the helpless.  We should be more concerned with those who come here by jet, flush with cash, equipped with the knowledge of how power is utilized.

6 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Nothing will change until we conduct our trade policy and, our foreign policy in alignment with our true principles.  Since the end of WWII the capitalist have controlled both.

We are taught to fear the immigrants who come here on foot, by boat, the poor, the helpless.  We should be more concerned with those who come here by jet, flush with cash, equipped with the knowledge of how power is utilized.

Totally agree with that. But we should also help our neighbors. If they are being persecuted we allow them in of course. But we must help them in their own country too

36 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Totally agree with that. But we should also help our neighbors. If they are being persecuted we allow them in of course. But we must help them in their own country too

I agree but, we have to end the idea that corrupt leadership in other countries is anything other than corrupt.  In the end, Karzai stole all he could, the Shah stole all he could, Baby Doc stole all he could, etc., etc.  We have to be realistic and genuine.  We cannot allow capitalism to lead the effort.  Humanity, our humanity is the key.

6 hours ago, icanthearyou said:

I agree but, we have to end the idea that corrupt leadership in other countries is anything other than corrupt.  In the end, Karzai stole all he could, the Shah stole all he could, Baby Doc stole all he could, etc., etc.  We have to be realistic and genuine.  We cannot allow capitalism to lead the effort.  Humanity, our humanity is the key.

And what do you suggest we use as a model?

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

And what do you suggest we use as a model?

We must run international trade policy and foreign policy based on our stated democratic principles.  We must stop running both by the capitalist, for the capitalist.

We spend far too much wielding influence around the world.  Too much because the people who truly benefit have socialized that cost.

Why do people continue to look down in order to see the problem we have with socialism?

36 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

We must run international trade policy and foreign policy based on our stated democratic principles.  We must stop running both by the capitalist, for the capitalist.

We spend far too much wielding influence around the world.  Too much because the people who truly benefit have socialized that cost.

Why do people continue to look down in order to see the problem we have with socialism?

Venezuela? If you think that govt officials and pols arent as greedy as any capitalists, that is the problem. 

• Thanks 1