Malik Willis

abw0004

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

But let me not make this negative. Super happy for this guy. What a story. Many of the fan base was saying move him to another position and here he is will be the first QB drafted. Wow

I said to move Gatewood to TE, does that count for anything?

• Haha 1
  • Dislike 1

It would have been interesting to see if Harsin had been the coach and instead of DD on the roster, he had Willis 2 or 3rd behind Nix, before he left for Oregon.

Would Harsin have seen more in Willis than Gus did for starting potential?

Harsin certainly didn't see DD as major competition even after Bo went down, or during the bowl game. 

3 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yes. You are seeing it like me. Now I feel we are actually very similar and we prefer to just deal in fact. And I have no facts to back this feeling but I just think he has people in his life that are very smart who know to say anything different to what he says now wouldn't do anything but hurt him, and the way he's handling it actually helps him. 

I could easily see if this was me in that position my mom would tell me to not even speak on the unfairness and move on. Then this result she would say how God will take things the devil use to try to hurt you to actually help you.

But Bo was going to play here no matter what. Just seeing the huge gap in talent......there's no way you tell this guy he isn't even going to play for a guy that can't even complete a pass over 10 yards consistently.

If he was a cancer of some sort maybe but just because he's not watching film the way you want and he's a sophomore? I don't buy it

One thing I really liked that he said is that he wants to prioritize learning how to get mentally ready for the NFL game. That is extremely forward thinking. I truly believe that sets apart the greats from the others. The preparation that goes into it from a knowledge and mental capacity. Physically, we know he can do it.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

One thing I really liked that he said is that he wants to prioritize learning how to get mentally ready for the NFL game. That is extremely forward thinking. I truly believe that sets apart the greats from the others. The preparation that goes into it from a knowledge and mental capacity. Physically, we know he can do it.

It was just drills but some of his throws were so effortless and accurate........like I said watching him just made me sad. Him and Seth Williams could have really been a thing here but the coaches decided Bo and shed Jackson was better plan..........

• Haha 1

Won't let me link because it's NFL content, but go watch his combine highlights. Whew... man, that deep ball. Whole stadium was buzzing because the ball just explodes out of his hands. His ability to push the ball is really good and where we've lacked. Combine that with his mobility and he really would've been great with Gus. 

1 hour ago, au302 said:

Won't let me link because it's NFL content, but go watch his combine highlights. Whew... man, that deep ball. Whole stadium was buzzing because the ball just explodes out of his hands. His ability to push the ball is really good and where we've lacked. Combine that with his mobility and he really would've been great with Gus. 

Gotcha covered!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Idk...it's wildly possible Bo Nix was a better QB in spring of 2018, but Malik is better now vs wold conspiracies.

Bo was a polished Freshman QB (ignoring he didn't develop mich from there) and Malik was going through his first spring after being a borderline P5 QB.

Edited by W.E.D
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, steeleagle said:

It would have been interesting to see if Harsin had been the coach and instead of DD on the roster, he had Willis 2 or 3rd behind Nix, before he left for Oregon.

Would Harsin have seen more in Willis than Gus did for starting potential?

Harsin certainly didn't see DD as major competition even after Bo went down, or during the bowl game. 

It sure seemed to me like Harsin was just as hell bent on starting Bo as a coach could possibly be despite the talk of a qb competition. frankly, the Georgia state debacle and post game press conference felt like he was devestated over pulling Bo perhaps because he felt it would divide the team or fanbase idk but he definitely did not want to sit Bo. sure enough, he was right back in action against Lsu. I'm skeptical things would have been much different.

5 hours ago, W.E.D said:

Idk...it's wildly possible Bo Nix was a better QB in spring of 2018, but Malik is better now vs wold conspiracies.

Bo was a polished Freshman QB (ignoring he didn't develop mich from there) and Malik was going through his first spring after being a borderline P5 QB.

Now that's funny

4 hours ago, ThurstontheWelshCorgi said:

It sure seemed to me like Harsin was just as hell bent on starting Bo as a coach could possibly be despite the talk of a qb competition. frankly, the Georgia state debacle and post game press conference felt like he was devestated over pulling Bo perhaps because he felt it would divide the team or fanbase idk but he definitely did not want to sit Bo. sure enough, he was right back in action against Lsu. I'm skeptical things would have been much different.

It was just a bad situation all around. We had Loy taking second string snaps in A-Day, with true freshman Davis and non-factor Garnett. TJ was and still is a high upside QB. It was a good pickup for that late in the cycle.

I don't think Harsin was against him like some think. Nix wasn't named starter until the end of fall camp when the depth chart was released. He also gave TJ a long leash when his time came despite many calls on here for DD. Both had big issues, and while I think TJ has the higher upside, the right call was made. 

Edited by au302

9 hours ago, cole256 said:

Now that's funny

I know you have a blind spot for anything Bo/Gatewood/Malik related. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy. Malik is awesome now and wouldn't have gotten there here with Gus, even had he stayed bc Gus is terrible developing QBs.

He wasn't ready then and got what he needed at liberty to succeed. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Malik is awesome now and wouldn't have gotten there here with Gus, even had he stayed bc Gus is terrible developing QBs.

Completely agree

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DAG said:

See? To his credit, he learned from not bothering to get mentally ready while at Auburn. His failure at AU benefited him in the long run.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

See? To his credit, he learned from not bothering to get mentally ready while at Auburn. His failure at AU benefited him in the long run.

And is a testimony to the value of the transfer portal. 

Whether it was Gus or Malik that wasn't going to budge, the player needed to find a coach who believed in him and that he could trust in terms of committing all out effort to.  Worked out beautifully for Willis...and for those who love redemption stories, it's inspiring.

1 hour ago, W.E.D said:

I know you have a blind spot for anything Bo/Gatewood/Malik related. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy. Malik is awesome now and wouldn't have gotten there here with Gus, even had he stayed bc Gus is terrible developing QBs.

He wasn't ready then and got what he needed at liberty to succeed. 

I don't disagree that they may have been the case, just as it may not and what's most likely some of it is true and some of it is not. 

It's hilarious to be though that my view is blind when yours is right. I'm blind and you're accurate but when it comes to Bo's performance who 's been more accurate? I'm blind but nobody can point out what I've said that's been completely wrong.

In other words I'm blind because I didn't buy into the hype because when I watched him on the field things didn't add up.......but that's blind.....if that's being blind I'm cool with that.

Just ironic that it's actually the complete opposite of being blind and you are the one calling someone else blind.......that's ironic and oxymoronic

Bo was a polished freshman......that's not blind though 😂

Edited by cole256

On 3/3/2022 at 8:40 PM, autigeremt said:

He stated he wasn’t mature enough at the time he left AU. 

Because the former staff was terrible at maturing our players into young men.

Love this for Malik. Pretty well proves without a shadow that Gus couldn’t develop QBs. Makes you shutter to think that, if had he stayed and even started, Malik likely wouldn’t even have gotten drafted. 

Bo was a polished freshman

For all TrFr QBs he was. Which is what I said. 99% of all TrFr QBs are terrible, much worse than Bo was....and he wasn't even good. It's why I always laugh or comment anytime anyone has brought up DD last year or Holden as possibilities next year.

I don't disagree that they may have been the case, just as it may not and what's most likely some of it is true and some of it is not. 

I get what you're saying. It's an opinion and neither of us know exactly what it is. Idk, feel like a Gus/Bo/Malik conspiracy is just much more far fetched.

Especially when Malik was behind Gatewood, I think. Gus chose 2 players as "Co Starters" and Malik was alone in 3rd.

It's hilarious to be though that my view is blind when yours is right.

I'm out here calling Bo bad, Gus bad, and Malike great. Not much blindness over here

Edited by W.E.D

22 minutes ago, AUght2win said:

Pretty well proves without a shadow that Gus couldn’t develop QBs.

100%.

Everyone got worse or marginally improved. No one took a step or jump forward. 

Malik wouldn't be where he is if he started here under Gus

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

For all TrFr QBs he was. Which is what I said. 99% of all TrFr QBs are terrible, much worse than Bo was....and he wasn't even good. It's why I always laugh or comment anytime anyone has brought up DD last year or Holden as possibilities next year.

I get what you're saying. It's an opinion and neither of us know exactly what it is. Idk, feel like a Gus/Bo/Malik conspiracy is just much more far fetched.

Especially when Malik was behind Gatewood, I think. Gus chose 2 players as "Co Starters" and Malik was alone in 3rd.

I'm out here calling Bo bad, Gus bad, and Malike great. Not much blindness over here

So basically you are saying you have a bunch of opinions too, but mine are blind and whereas not your opinions. But once again as far as my stuff, I was right. I was stubborn, I didn't back down and say I'm wrong and that makes people angry or whatever....but I watched film and went off that as opposed to all the hype and when it was said and done I was right.......but I'm blind......😎

27 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So basically you are saying you have a bunch of opinions too, but mine are blind and whereas not your opinions. But once again as far as my stuff, I was right. I was stubborn, I didn't back down and say I'm wrong and that makes people angry or whatever....but I watched film and went off that as opposed to all the hype and when it was said and done I was right.......but I'm blind......😎

Yes. Gatewood, whom you've said many players and families said should have won the job, was a Co Starter ahead of Malik.

So, it's not just Bo or Gus. Others whom you favored were ahead of him too. He just wasn't ready and needed a real QB coach to lead him there. He's pretty much said he needed Freeze to help him develop and get where he is. Gus wouldn't have provided him that development.

A year/ RS offseason with a real QB coach in 2019 helped him put himself on the map in 2020

Idk why you'd be embarrassed a guy who wasn't ready as a Tr Soph went somewhere else and succeeded. He wasn't wronged, just had marginally better playeds ahead kf him at that time. If anything we were his only P5 shot to play QB vs DB. His start here vs being a safety at VT led him to Freeze

Edited by W.E.D

2 minutes ago, W.E.D said:

Yes. Gatewood, whom you've said many players and families said should have won the job, was a Co Starter ahead of Malik.

So, it's not just Bo or Gus. Others whom you favored were ahead of him too. He just wasn't ready and needed a real QB coach to lead him there. He's pretty much said he needed Freeze to help him develop and get where he is. Gus wouldn't have given him that.

Idk why you'd be embarrassed a guy who wasn't ready as a Tr Soph went somewhere else and succeeded. He wasn't wronged, just had marginally better playeds ahead kf him at that time. If anything we were his only P5 shot to play QB vs DB. His start here vs being a safety at VT led him to Freeze

So if you had any questions you could have just asked me and sparedall the other semantics and you surely don't have any reason to call anything I say blind when from disagreement we had I was actually right. And I have never brought it up or thrown it in your face, but I would think you would at least come from that, well this guy don't just talk out of his ass. 

But I guess I didn't even get that respect. But if you want to have that conversation I have no problem being cordial and discussing it with you and explaining myself. But nah you can't just call me blind as if I just say stuff to just say stuff and I'm not accurate. 

I have already explained why I think he said what he said (Malik) what else would he say and still be considered professional? But actually that's getting into a convo that I'm not even sure you actually want to have. My point here is even you can't take me disagreeing with you then we should just stop, as you have absolutely nothing to suggest that any of my statements are blind or not to me taken as authentic whatsoever.

It may be my opinion but I'm easily one of the most objective posters on here. I'm not afraid to criticize anything and I don't have any allegiances to anyone. I recently been accused of being a Harsin hater when I've been adamant about give him time, but that doesn't mean I wasn't going to point out his bull with that firing and with these issues with recruiting and players. 

But this would actually go back to a subject that upset you as far as when you played and stuff you know, yeah he may have been better with film but the difference in arm talent and accuracy is astronomical. Then you add on how Bo isn't good to this day at reading defenses, back then couldn't throw accurately at all.......yeah it makes me sad. 

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

So if you had any questions you could have just asked me and sparedall the other semantics and you surely don't have any reason to call anything I say blind when from disagreement we had I was actually right. And I have never brought it up or thrown it in your face, but I would think you would at least come from that, well this guy don't just talk out of his ass. 

But I guess I didn't even get that respect. But if you want to have that conversation I have no problem being cordial and discussing it with you and explaining myself. But nah you can't just call me blind as if I just say stuff to just say stuff and I'm not accurate

Don't get all upset like many do on here. That's not you. I'm not being disrespectful. My initial comment wasn't even to you specifically, just to the board.

11 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I have already explained why I think he said what he said (Malik) what else would he say and still be considered professional? But actually that's getting into a convo that I'm not even sure you actually want to have

That quote here previously was about being immature. The rest of the quote is what I'm talking about.

"I decided after that meeting that I had to be better, but I needed to find somewhere else to play and find someone to help me get where I needed to go.”

He straight up saying he needed to get away from Gus and Freeze developed him.

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

It may be my opinion but I'm easily one of the most objective posters on here.

I think you're objective to a point. But anything related to Gus handling QBs, especially with Gatewood, Malik I think you have something extra clouding you.

Gatewood hasn't been good anywhere and went back to the guy who conspiracy ppl claim wronged him. Malik was 3rd behind your boy and left. Sonits not even a Gus/Bo thing yesterday you mentioned initially on page 1.

You made it into a Bo thing when it really wasn't, hence my comments.

18 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But this would actually go back to a subject that upset you as far as when you played and stuff you know, yeah he may have been better with film but the difference in arm talent and accuracy is astronomical.

Idk what you're even talking about