What Biden’s Done Right with Ukraine

TexasTiger

16 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Sure.  When I was serving in the Army and met my wife she was living with her mother in Canada.  Due to the frequency of deployments, she was staying with her mother and I was commutingwhile she was pregnant. When she went into labor we went to the hospital (in Canada).  Our son had some complications due to his size (9 lbs, 15 ozs) and basically got logged in place.  Any hospital in the USA would have cranked up the anesthesia and went straight to a C section.  This hospital truly did not have an anesthesiologist on staff at night.  The normal guy was supposedly on call, but couldn’t be reached.  They did a lot of cutting, pulling and the like and were able to extract my son, thankfully w/o any injuries.  When I asked the staff (after) about why the hospital only had 1 anesthesiologist they said that was all they were budgeted for.  They were as frustrated as I was about it.  

On a side note, my brother in law, also in Canada, injured his back on the job.  He had to wait several months for surgery due to the quotas that are in place.  

Folks are free to seek private care/insurance, aren’t they?

• Like 2

Just now, TexasTiger said:

Folks are free to seek private care/insurance, aren’t they?

Not sure about that.  I wouldn’t be surprised, but when you are taxed out the rear end for the “free” programs, seems odd to then opt for paying for private coverage?  

Just now, GoAU said:

Not sure about that.  I wouldn’t be surprised, but when you are taxed out the rear end for the “free” programs, seems odd to then opt for paying for private coverage?  

Not really. Take everything I pay in insurance premiums, co-pays, deductibles, plus what my employer pays which otherwise could go to me, and call that a “tax” and it has exceeded my income tax payments some years. If I knew I had a baseline of coverage— ie, I wouldn’t go bankrupt should I encounter an emergency or my kid gets cancer— I might be happy to find alternatives on occasion if the wait didn’t suit me. In a country like Switzerland, all are required to purchase basic coverage— insurance companies can’t profit on that, but can make a reasonable profit on supplemental plans. 
Most of us pay a ton for health insurance — most of it goes to insurance companies who never treat a single ailment we have.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, GoAU said:

Sure.  When I was serving in the Army and met my wife she was living with her mother in Canada.  Due to the frequency of deployments, she was staying with her mother and I was commutingwhile she was pregnant. When she went into labor we went to the hospital (in Canada).  Our son had some complications due to his size (9 lbs, 15 ozs) and basically got logged in place.  Any hospital in the USA would have cranked up the anesthesia and went straight to a C section.  This hospital truly did not have an anesthesiologist on staff at night.  The normal guy was supposedly on call, but couldn’t be reached.  They did a lot of cutting, pulling and the like and were able to extract my son, thankfully w/o any injuries.  When I asked the staff (after) about why the hospital only had 1 anesthesiologist they said that was all they were budgeted for.  They were as frustrated as I was about it.  

On a side note, my brother in law, also in Canada, injured his back on the job.  He had to wait several months for surgery due to the quotas that are in place.  

Sounds as though the problems are a reason to improve a system.  Not necessarily condemn it.  Same types of problems with many rural areas here. 

I wonder about their system of on the job injuries.  I always hated paying worker's comp for my employees.  Not because of the expense but, because I could have given them full blown healthcare if I hadn't been paying the worker's comp.

• Like 2

I agree the workers comp system is broken - both here and there.  In Canada he received full pay, which is nice from a "taking care of the family" standpoint, but he was in a lot of pain for months.  The doctor has only a limited number of various types of surgeries that the government will pay him to perform.   Seems kind of crazy, but I can see how a government system could come to that type of "solution".  

On 2/27/2022 at 12:31 PM, homersapien said:

How about getting a little more specific about what Biden should be doing that he isn't. 

All you are doing is repeating "Biden bad".  That's pretty "weak".

What about stop importing oil from Russia?

2 minutes ago, provibe said:

Somehow replied in one topic and my reply seems to be posted in another topic. Just me I guess! 

32 minutes ago, provibe said:

So, declaring a national emergency and commanding corporations? 

Or some other legal recourse? 

Edited by homersapien

26 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So, declaring a national emergency and commanding corporations? 

Or some other legal recourse? 

It worked with the vaccines, didn’t it?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

It worked with the vaccines, didn’t it?

No, it didn't work.  But that is off-topic, and doesn't address my questions.

Do you think Biden has the power to halt Russian oil imports?

I'm not 100% positive, but I do believe the president has the power to embargo international trade.  We've done it for quite some time with N Korea, Cuba, Iran, etc?  Sure seems we are able to do it in other aspects of trade, so I'm not sure why we couldn't do it with oil.  But I can't understand why we wouldn't resume our own production when we cut off Russian imports.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, homersapien said:

Biden has no problem using his *power* to do things even though he may or may not have the authority.  He is a *I’d rather ask for forgiveness than ask permission* type of leader.  Always looking for *go arounds* to get his agenda done.

It appears Biden doesn’t want to halt Russian oil imports or he would halt them whether he officially has the power or not.  It also appears Russian/Iranian oil does not affect the climate as much a US oil.  I know this is theory has not been proven, but it would explain Biden’s reluctance to stop importing Russian oil.

Thank you…I’ll be here all week.

Humor always has a little truth to it.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, homersapien said:

He has the power. But as I’ve explained in a different thread, it’s not going to help unless other countries are willing to band together. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, I_M4_AU said:

Biden has no problem using his *power* to do things even though he may or may not have the authority.  He is a *I’d rather ask for forgiveness than ask permission* type of leader.  Always looking for *go arounds* to get his agenda done.

It appears Biden doesn’t want to halt Russian oil imports or he would halt them whether he officially has the power or not.  It also appears Russian/Iranian oil does not affect the climate as much a US oil.  I know this is theory has not been proven, but it would explain Biden’s reluctance to stop importing Russian oil.

Thank you…I’ll be here all week.

Humor always has a little truth to it.

Well, it's no wonder you folks are confused about Trump.  You don't recognize the rule of law.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Put solar panels on the WH. 😉

Yes but, he would also make a decision without the political calculus of how high gas prices would affect the next election.

In politics, it doesn't mean he would do the right thing necessarily but, it is courageous. 

He is a reason I became a Republican.  He was way too liberal for me but,,, he is a man of integrity, character, a good human being.  I am proud of Carter.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Well, it's no wonder you folks are confused about Trump.  You don't recognize the rule of law.

Who brought up Trump?

• Facepalm 1

4 hours ago, homersapien said:

Neither do the Democrats so stop while you are "ahead"... Recognizing the rule of law is foreign to the political class until they need it to advance an agenda. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, autigeremt said:

Neither do the Democrats so stop while you are "ahead"... Recognizing the rule of law is foreign to the political class until they need it to advance an agenda. 

If the political and capital classes were policed and adjudicated the way most of us are,,, we would have a host of private 5-star prisons.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

If the political and capital classes were policed and adjudicated the way most of us are,,, we would have a host of private 5-star prisons.

A real Club Fed.......

• Haha 1

I can see the advertisements. 

When choosing your luxury constrained living community,,,  don't forget to consider these amenities:

Bent Grass Greens

Every Room has a View of the Ocean

The Guards are friendly and address you as Mr. or Ms./Mrs.

Uniforms by Oscar de Laurente

Food prepared under the supervision of Wolf Gang Puck

Or, take advantage of our 24 hour concierge and order out!

Every guest receives our complimentary BIPARTISAN presidential pardon lobbying service.

Waldorf Monitored Luxury Plantation, a division of Corrections Corporation of America.

Sadly, this reality is more just than the current one.

20 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

I can see the advertisements. 

When choosing your luxury constrained living community,,,  don't forget to consider these amenities:

Bent Grass Greens

Every Room has a View of the Ocean

The Guards are friendly and address you as Mr. or Ms./Mrs.

Uniforms by Oscar de Laurente

Food prepared under the supervision of Wolf Gang Puck

Or, take advantage of our 24 hour concierge and order out!

Every guest receives our complimentary BIPARTISAN presidential pardon lobbying service.

Waldorf Monitored Luxury Plantation, a division of Corrections Corporation of America.

Sadly, this reality is more just than the current one.

But wait, there’s more!

Platinum members who donate bigly to the party of their choosing will get to enjoy these additional amenities only available to a select few:

24/7 business center access complete with internet service and online support for moving your golden parachutes to offshore bank accounts to shield the money from taxes and any lawsuits. 

Option of staying at our new Mira Lago location. Our inmates have said it’s the greatest, the best in the world all others are horrible. 

If you have any damning information about the Clintons we will do our best to protect you from yourself. We at Club Fed have tried to initiate our new “No-Epsteining Policy.”

Unlimited access to the biased media outlet of your choosing. 

1 hour ago, wdefromtx said:

But wait, there’s more!

Platinum members who donate bigly to the party of their choosing will get to enjoy these additional amenities only available to a select few:

24/7 business center access complete with internet service and online support for moving your golden parachutes to offshore bank accounts to shield the money from taxes and any lawsuits. 

Option of staying at our new Mira Lago location. Our inmates have said it’s the greatest, the best in the world all others are horrible. 

If you have any damning information about the Clintons we will do our best to protect you from yourself. We at Club Fed have tried to initiate our new “No-Epsteining Policy.”

Unlimited access to the biased media outlet of your choosing. 

You liberal.  These people are being punished.

I do like the anti-Espteining measures.  Very humane.