Lionel “Little Train” James’ Passed Away

toddc

At the time, that 87-yard TD vs. UGA was the second longest rushing touchdown in Auburn history.  In '83 against Southern Miss, he ran a 94-yarder right before the half; but, a needless clip got it called back.  

Lionel James was critical in turning the 82 Iron Bowl in Auburn's favor. Late 1st Quarter. It's not looking good. Bammer is up 7-0. Driving again and dominating. Then two gigantic, momentum changing plays occurred. At the Auburn 29, Mark Dorminey knocked the snot out of Joe Carter. Tim Drinkard grabbed the midair fumble and returned it 62 yards to the Alabama 14. On 3rd and 9, Auburn ties the game at 7-7 when James weaved his way for the TD on a brilliantly executed DRAW play. Everyone remembers Bo over the top. But Little Train's scamper in the 1st, and Randy Campbell's option keeper in the 2nd allowed Auburn to keep pace despite being outgained by almost 3-1. Early in the 4th, James delivered a crushing block on a penetrating Alabama cornerback to help spring Bo's toss sweep for a 52 yard run which led to a Del Greco FG. That is when ABC commentator Frank Broyles declared Lionel James to be "the best one on one blocker for a back in the wishbone that I've ever seen." High praise from a legendary coach who saw plenty of wishbones in his day.

Edited by slyinsocal
  • Like 1

One of my favorites and a pretty good NFL player, too. At one time set two NFL records, one for receiving yards by a running back in a season and one for total all-purpose yards in a season.

His big heart more than made up for his slight stature.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JTFazz said:

One of my favorites and a pretty good NFL player, too. At one time set two NFL records, one for receiving yards by a running back in a season and one for total all-purpose yards in a season.

His big heart more than made up for his slight stature.

I didn’t realize how accomplished he was at the NFL level until his obituary. 

Lionel James was one of my favorite players. The following is meant to be a tribute to him. If anyone finds it offensive then I will happily remove.

From Cheeburger Cheeburger today. Jesus with the 'Crootin finger:

image (4).jpg

• Thanks 1