Lionel “Little Train” James’ Passed Away

toddc

Former Auburn running back Lionel James passes away

ByNATHAN KING 15 minutes ago

Please turn off your ad blocker if you wish to view this video.

CFP To Remain At Four Teams Thru 2026 (Late Kick Cut)

Former Auburn and NFL running back Lionel James passed away Friday at the age of 59, the university announced.

James, a native of Albany, Georgia, led Auburn in rushing in 1981, Pat Dye's first season as head coach. He's No. 18 on Auburn's career rushing list and was inducted into the Alabama Sports Hall of Fame in 2006.

"Lionel James defined Auburn football for a generation," former Auburn athletic director David Housel said Friday in a statement.

During Auburn's 1983 SEC championship and Sugar Bowl season, James was a team captain, and was part of one of the best running-back trios in program history with Bo Jackson and Tommy Agee. They combined for 2,518 rushing yards and 24 total touchdowns.

"Pound for pound one of the greatest all-purpose players to play the game of football," Agee said Friday in a statement. "Always put the team first. He was one of the reasons why I came to Auburn."

3COMMENTS

A fifth-round pick in 1984, James played five seasons with the San Diego Chargers. In his second pro season, he set what was then the NFL record for all-purpose yards with 2,535, and receiving yards by a running back with 1,027.

After retiring from the league, James graduated from Auburn in 1989. He later coached tight ends on Terry Bowden's Auburn staff from 1996-97.

Edited by toddc
  • Sad 6

• toddc changed the title to Lionel “Train” James’ Passed Away

• toddc changed the title to Lionel “Little Train” James’ Passed Away

I remember when he led the Chargers in rushing yards, receiving yards, kickoff return yards and punt return yards ALL in the same season. 1985 I believe was when he did this. RIP Little Train

• Like 1

One of my first Auburn memories was watching how hard that man could run. 

This is sad news. War Eagle, train!

May God comfort and bless his family. 

• Love 1

This one hurts. His numbers while respectable in the day for a wishbone O, were good, but what he meant to this U and this team, may go unmatched. I was just shy of my 13th birthday when I got to see him in the backfield with Bo and Tommy and it was obvious, he was the Alpha, but he never showed it. In my mind, everything aside as far as stats, he is a True Auburn Legend. Condolences to his family and friends. He was a Great One. 

• Like 1

Little Train made a number of big blocks for Big Train. 
May God give His great comfort and peace to Lionel James’ family, friends, and the AU Nation. 

Great person with a contagious smile. Played 5 solid years of NFL and fans of everyone seemed to root for him. 

At 5-6 hard to believe he was recruited for basketball as well as football. Had one heck of reputation in “pick up” basketball games around BE coliseum. Seems heard a while back that he was struggling. War Damn Eagle “ little train”.

Lionel James and I were born the same year.  I was a student at AU from 1981-1985, and I saw him play live many times.  He was amazing.  He and Bo in the same backfield was pretty much unfair to opposing defenses.

Rest in peace Little Train.  The biggest little train ever.

3 minutes ago, MaxCohen216 said:

Lionel James and I were born the same year.  I was a student at AU from 1981-1985, and I saw him play live many times.  He was amazing.  He and Bo in the same backfield was pretty much unfair to opposing defenses.

Rest in peace Little Train.  The biggest little train ever.

I was there 81-83. Maybe we passed each other on the Quad 

22 minutes ago, toddc said:

I was there 81-83. Maybe we passed each other on the Quad 

Probably quite a few times.  Wow, I miss that life.  Great times.

Edited by MaxCohen216
  • Love 1