What Alabama high school coaches have to say about Bryan Harsin

McLoofus

15 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

There were not 8 years of neglect. It would help if people didn't try to rewrite history. 

So how many years of OL neglect would you call it?

2013:

Deon Mix (G) 

Devonte Dansby (Juco G)

Casey Dunn (transfer center) 

2014: 

Braden Smith 

Xavier Dampeer (Juco G) 

2015: 

Prince Tega (Converted DT) 

Marquel Harrell (G)

Tyler Carr (G) 

Kaleb Kim (C) 

Bailey Sharp (OT)

Mike Horton (G) 

2016: 

Prince Sammons (OT) 

Bro Hamm (G but had to play OT) 

Tashawn Manning (G) 

2017: 

Calvin Ashley (OT) 

Nick Brahms (C)

Austin Troxell (OT) 

2018: 

Jalil Irvin (G/C) 

Cameron Stutts (G) 

2019: 

Keiondre Jones (G) 

Justin Osborne (G) 

2020:

Kiliian Zierer (Juco OT) 

Avery Jernigan (G)

Brendan Coffey (Juco OT) 

Tate Johnson (G) 

Jeremiah Wright (G) 

Brandon Council (G-transfer)

Yes, @Tigerbelle, absolutely neglected. 

When exactly would you say he addressed OL recruiting appropriately?

What would be really helpful is if people weren't intentionally ignorant. I know how you feel about the previous coach, but that doesn't change the fact that our current OL depth and issues are directly related to his piss poor recruiting and roster management.

Keep in mind that during the same time period, our three main rivals signed nearly double the number of OL that we did.

BTW, count the OT...then subtract those that didn't contribute and transfered.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

People saying that Harsin should get 8 years because Gus got 8 years are making a flawed argument.

Harsin has done nothing so far to allow him to get 8 years.

Gus didn't get 8 years based off of 1 season. He went 12-2 in 2013, which earned him a few years. Then beating #1 UGA and #1 Bama in 2017 got him another few years and a ridiculous contract extension and buyout. Gus would likely have been fired in 2017 had we lost to UGA and Bama. If you want to get even more accurate, Gus likely would have been fired in 2016 had we lost to LSU. Instead, Les Miles got fired after we beat LSU in 2016.

It's not flawed. I watched Malzahn pick his nose and run up the middle on 3rd and 3 too many times to count. But folks want to run Harsin after 1 year. At least give him time to get his own players and install his system.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

So how many years of OL neggl t would you call it?

2013:

Deon Mix (G) 

Devonte Dansby (Juco G)

2014: 

Braden Smith 

Xavier Dampeer (Juco G) 

2015: 

Marquel Harrell (G)

Tyler Carr (G) 

Kaleb Kim (C) 

Bailey Sharp (OT)

Mike Horton (G) 

2016: 

Prince Sammons (OT) 

Tashawn Manning (G) 

2017: 

Calvin Ashley (OT) 

Nick Brahms (C)

Austin Troxell (OT) 

2018: 

Jalil Irvin (G/C) 

Cameron Stutts (G) 

2019: 

Keiondre Jones (G) 

Justin Osborne (G) 

2020:

Kiliian Zierer (Juco OT) 

Avery Jernigan (G)

Brendan Coffey (Juco OT) 

Tate Johnson (G) 

Jeremiah Wright (G) 

Yes, @Tigerbelle, absolutely neglected. 

When exactly would you say he addressed OL recruiting appropriately?

What would be really helpful is if people weren't intentionally ignorant. I know how you feel about the previous coach, but that doesn't change the fact that our current OL depth and issues are directly related to his piss poor recruiting and roster management.

Keep in mind that during the same time period, our three main rivals signed nearly double the number of OL that we did.

Bird dropping the claw... But, facts don't work on some of these cats. But I'm waiting to hear the responses. 

Edited by NWALA Tiger
  • Like 2

30 minutes ago, shabby said:

It was virtually the same offensive line that Gus managed to get 6 SEC wins with. This is a poor excuse

A bad and ineffective line that was coached by a previous regime for 4+ years is the newly hired HC's fault? Priceless

Do you understand the symbiotic impact the OL has on the entire rest of the offense? 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

People saying that Harsin should get 8 years because Gus got 8 years are making a flawed argument.

No one is saying CBH should get 8. Many are saying we let Gus have 8 to prove himself incapable. May e we should give CBH more than 14 months... especially since he couldn't visit or bring in visitors for about half his tenure.  

Some of y'all are absolutely hilarious at the uneven application of what y'all perceive as patience

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

B. Harsin not knowing important in-state coaches/programs is a problem that needs to be fixed asap. I hope he gets this issue resolved soon.

I am a HS HC in GA, at a school that has not recently and likely will not produce power 5 talent over the next several years… but Kirby still has my number and speaks to me at coaching functions. 

Relationships matter in recruiting far more than the average person wants to acknowledge.

Edited by AUinGA44
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

35 minutes ago, tigerman1186 said:

As been mentioned earlier when a new coach comes in...I was coaching in Florida and when Coach Meyer took the job, he visited every school in the state during the month of May...for our school it was a meet and great, but it made an impression on me and our kids...regardless how you feel about him, you can't question his success during his time at UF... 

That was Charlie Strong's downfall at UTx. He ignored the THSCs for about 2-3 years.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

If we go 5-7 in 2022, which is very possible, I don't see Harsin getting 3 years. 

I understand, your predicting. I’m saying the way I think the process should always work ( My prediction is (using your game outcomes) he gets a third (very hot seat) year.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

No one is saying CBH should get 8. Many are saying we let Gus have 8 to prove himself incapable. May e we should give CBH more than 14 months... especially since he couldn't visit or bring in visitors for about half his tenure.  

Some of y'all are absolutely hilarious at the uneven application of what y'all perceive as patience

Again though it's a false argument. Gus got 8 years because he won enough to earn them whether we like it or not. Gus wouldn't have gotten 8 years if we lost certain games in 2017 or 2016.

I'm not applying anything unevenly.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

What so many of you don’t get is that this is not about Malzahn. He needed to go. This is about Harsin being  a bad hire. His resume was average. His name was not thrown around as being in demand by different major schools. There was concern about his ability to coach and recruit at this level. And all this is proving to be true.

His resume was the best of any Coach we've ever hired. 

His name wasn't being thrown around because many didn't think he would ever voluntarily leave his Alma Mater.  It's the same thing with people saying Dabo won't leave Clemson.

Concern from whom? He was heralded as a really solid hire.

1 hour ago, Tigerbelle said:

So far all we've seen is a chaotic mess and an embarrassing season. 

I remember when you used to support the team with unbelievable furvor and chastise anyone attempting to speak ill of the players, their efforts, or the coaches. What happened?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Again though it's a false argument. Gus got 8 years because he won enough to earn them whether we like it or not. Gus wouldn't have gotten 8 years if we lost certain games in 2017 or 2016.

I'm not applying anything unevenly.

You are though.  You were willing to give Gus time to prove one way or the other, you've given CBH 14 months in an impossible recruiting situation and have already deemed him a failure and are ready to replace him.

24 minutes ago, bigbird said:

2013:

Deon Mix (G) 

Devonte Dansby (Juco G)

2014: 

Braden Smith 

Xavier Dampeer (Juco G) 

2015: 

Marquel Harrell (G)

Tyler Carr (G) 

Kaleb Kim (C) 

Bailey Sharp (OT)

Mike Horton (G) 

2016: 

Prince Sammons (OT) 

Tashawn Manning (G) 

2017: 

Calvin Ashley (OT) 

Nick Brahms (C)

Austin Troxell (OT) 

2018: 

Jalil Irvin (G/C) 

Cameron Stutts (G) 

2019: 

Keiondre Jones (G) 

Justin Osborne (G) 

2020:

Kiliian Zierer (Juco OT) 

Avery Jernigan (G)

Brendan Coffey (Juco OT) 

Tate Johnson (G) 

Jeremiah Wright (G) 

@bigbird, I cannot take you seriously right now.   You didn’t even count our long snappers!!!   Zero credibility right now!!!

• Haha 3

Just now, AUinMS9528 said:

@bigbird, I cannot take you seriously right now.   You didn’t even count our long snappers!!!   Zero credibility right now!!!

I keep them in the same category as our back up QB, Oscar Chapmen

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

You are though.  You were willing to give Gus time to prove one way or the other, you've given CBH 14 months in an impossible recruiting situation and have already deemed him a failure and are ready to replace him.

Gus was on the hot seat in 2016 and again in 2017 despite not having a losing season

I wanted Gus gone in 2016 but he did enough to keep from getting fired. He did the same thing in 2017 plus he got a big contract extension and buyout, which prevented him from being fired sooner.

There's a very real possibility that Harsin will have back-to-back losing seasons and already some are calling for him to get 3 years regardless. But I'm the one applying a standard unevenly. Got it.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AUinGA44 said:

B. Harsin not knowing important in-state coaches/programs is a problem that needs to be fixed asap. I hope he gets this issue resolved soon.

I am a HS HC in GA, at a school that has not recently and likely will not produce power 5 talent over the next several years… but Kirby still has my number and speaks to me at coaching functions. 

Relationships matter in recruiting far more than the average person wants to acknowledge.

I agree completely. Not having done that was a failure. It's good to see him trying to rectify it.

The truncated covid recruiting calendar, with who could and couldn't visit campuses, had a major impact on building the necessary relationships with the players and the coaches. That said, there are plenty of work around that could've been sought 

BTW, congratulations on the promotion!  I've been at one of those schools and it makes for very long day, short nights, and a lot of Tums. Good luck getting things moving in the right direction.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Auburnfan91 said:

There's a very real possibility that Harsin will have back-to-back losing seasons and already some are calling for him to get 3 years regardless. But I'm the one applying a standard unevenly. Got it.

Yes, Because a new HC should be given time to get his program built. He shouldn't be judged on the hole he's having to climb out of from the previous coach. That what so many are trying to do without giving the requisite time to fix the issues that led to the previous coach being fired. That's an  emotional, nonsensical approach evaluation

• Thanks 2
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Yes, Because a new HC should be given time to get his program built. He shouldn't be judged on the hole he's having to climb out of from the previous coach. That what so many are trying to do without giving the requisite time to fix the issues that led to the previous coach being fired. That's an  emotional, nonsensical approach evaluation

I'd be right there with you if all these important pieces (Bo, Mason) were staying and we were actually making noise on the recruiting trail. Neither of which is the case.

Edited by AUwent

8 minutes ago, AUwent said:

I'd be right there with you if all these important pieces (Bo, Mason) were staying and we were actually making noise on the recruiting trail. Neither of which is the case.

So you're upset that two pieces that weren't fits have been replaced?

I've been super high on Dee Davis. I think he will do great, but I don't think he will necessarily do great things at Auburn.  That is a fit issue, not a Dee issue or a Harsin issue. Sometimes things just don't line up like we want.

As far as recruiting, you were freaking before ENSD, then he came through and you even admitted he did well.  He failed miserably on NSD and hasn't yet made any noise in the portal. That doesn't change the work he did up to December, not is it an indicator of his or the staff's overall recruiting ability. It seems to me, he has a plan and is working the plan. Unfortunately, that plan doesn't mesh with the plan fans think is appropriate or necessary.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Gus was on the hot seat in 2016 and again in 2017 despite not having a losing season

I wanted Gus gone in 2016 but he did enough to keep from getting fired. He did the same thing in 2017 plus he got a big contract extension and buyout, which prevented him from being fired sooner.

The reality is that we can't afford to get into an unstable revolving carousel like an Arky, Tennessee, etc. No one's claiming that 6-7 is acceptable. It's not. Only difference between Gus's third year (2015) and Harsin's first year is that Gus won the Birmingham Bowl that year. Fire Harsin this year and then if Freeze, or whoever's next, goes 6-6 in their first year we're back here again.

Fans then call for that guy's head immediately. Rinse and repeat. Next thing you know you've quickly gone through 4 coaches in a decade. Despite the programs volatility over the decades, coaches have been given time to get their players in and see what happens. Harsin deserves that same opportunity 

Edited by au302
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, au302 said:

Harsin deserves that same opportunity 

This is what I don't understand.  Why are so many chomping at the bit to rid ourselves of Harsin? Is it ability or personality? If it's ability, I will argue he hasn't had the opportunity to show his true ability. If it's personality, then I think some of our fans need to go through the same culture change our team is.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, NWALA Tiger said:

Bird dropping the claw... But, facts don't work on some of these cats. But I'm waiting to hear the responses. 

693683CD-5E8B-4856-A126-E2ADEC29A035.gif.7c1e827eff3a60dabf332eafc1bf2e19.gif

• Haha 2